pixeltracker

MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!

MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!

Yankeefan007
#2MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 11:26am

I'll bite: I think this is a great idea, and, if this proves successful, more should do it, in the vein of the National's broadcasts.

I just wish it wasn't MEMPHIS.

CandiceElyse Profile Photo
CandiceElyse
#2MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 11:30am

agreed. I won't argue with any musical being filmed in order to reach the greater public, but I, too, wish it wasn't Memphis. I wish it was Next to Normal. I think people would be better served to see just how amazingly different musicals can be.

Judy Garland & Gene Kelly <3

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 11:33am

I hope it plays AMC. I have a gift card that I was never going to use.

justafan2
#4MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 11:44am

Does this mean that, eventually, it'll be available on a DVD format?

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#5MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 12:10pm

Do I want to see Memphis? Not really. Am I going to go see this in a movie theater if it's close to me? Probably.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#6MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 12:21pm

This is incredible! I hope they follow RENT's path and release it eventually on DVD.

And wait, who's Broadway Worldwide? Isn't that the team behind Jekyll and Hyde from years ago?

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.
Updated On: 1/13/11 at 12:21 PM

HummingAlong
#7MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 12:33pm

I'll agree. I think this is a great thing to be doing. Hell, I moved to New York to be here for theatre! I wonder what they'll charge to see it in a cinema. You can obviously never replace the electricity of being in a live performance with actors right in front of your face, but boy, could I have saved some money... MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution! Just kidding, of course, I'd take live theatre any day, but this is a great way to make shows accessible for people who otherwise could never see them. (ie - couldn't afford a touring show, aren't in proximity to a touring show, a touring cast doesn't yet exist, can't get out to NY, etc.)

This is an interesting step for theatre. Not without its drawbacks (which I've obviously not discussed) but I think it's interesting.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#8MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 12:52pm

Not sure, but I would guess this will probably cost around the same as the Met Opera broadcasts...around $20.

A DVD release would provide another revenue stream for both Broadway Worldwide and the producers of MEMPHIS. It will probably cost around the same as the Met Opera broadcasts...around $20.

For those complaint that it is MEMPHIS being preserved, consider that the underlying rights to the source material of some shows might prevent this from being done. If those rights can be negotiated I would be all for getting "original cast videos" as standard adjuncts to the live performances.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

bwayfan7000
#9MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 12:57pm

From what I can tell, when shows get exposure like this, people will want to see them even more. A great many of the people I talk to want to see shows they've already seen or at least heard of. If Memphis shows on the big screen and people go see it there, they'll want to see it live should they ever go to Broadway. This could lead to a much longer run for Memphis than most expected. I do echo the sentiment that I wish this had been for another show, though.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#11MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 12:59pm

And no one here believed Sparky on ATC......

Fosse76
#12MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 1:09pm

I've known since Monday, and have very mixed feelings. I think they should have waited until the tour finishes its firt-run. It's probably a ploy to get Chad Kimball to show up for work MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!

I think television broadcast will do more to generate interest in the show. Why should people pay $100 to see it when it comes to their town when they already paid $20 to see the EXACT same thing? An actual film version would be a better marketing tool for the stage show.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#13MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 1:30pm

Looks like this is the Broadway WorldWide they're talking about, as Don Roy King directed both Smokey Joe's and Jekyll for the same company (and will be directing MEMPHIS).

It's interesting they're filming shows again, as their last production was almost 10 years ago.

http://www.broadwayonline.com/

http://www.broadwayonline.com/aboutall.htm

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#14MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 3:51pm

I was wondering if Chad's voice will be up for it. I saw the show on Saturday night and he was out. That being said, I really liked his understudy (Bryan Fenkart).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Michelle616 Profile Photo
Michelle616
#15MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 4:07pm

There are much, much worse shows to preserve on film. This is exciting!

ace33
#16MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 5:16pm

I don't see how they would do this without Chad Kimball (or Montego Glover)... He's no Nathan Lane or David Hasselhoff (j/k) but his u/s Brian Fenkart is not of caliber. I've seen him perform and he's very good but Kimball and Glover are the headliners.

... this is the perfect example of why this show does so well (despite being so hated): it appeals to the masses. I LOVED N2N, but could it sell enough tickets in this movie format? Memphis on the other hand is entertainment fit for much wider auidences. This board (and other WELL-seasoned bway patrons) are in the minority.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#17MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 5:23pm

I agree with the above posts. I think this is a great idea, and wish it was the fate of all shows. Not thrilled that it is this one, but I'll see it and own the DVD if one comes along, because Im that OCD/supportive.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#18MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 9:57pm

i will certainly see this in a theater - i think its a terrific idea, esp for this show - from what i understand...

the fact that i still havent seen this show - despite it being the Tony Winner says something...it saves me from seeing the road company and i'll get to see with OBC.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#19MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 10:24pm

it's a good idea, but why Memphis? There's so much better mediocrity out there.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#20MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 10:41pm

Damn, I was at the box office and a guy was there asking for a ticket set up because he was taping the show, I should have posted something!

Anyway, I feel bad for anyone seeing the show this weekend, because you know Chad (and maybe Montego) will be out to save their energy for the taped performances.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#21MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/13/11 at 10:58pm

I wonder when it will be screened.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#22MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/14/11 at 12:39am

Anyway, I feel bad for anyone seeing the show this weekend, because you know Chad (and maybe Montego) will be out to save their energy for the taped performances.

Is that the excuse Kimball's going to give this time? Seems as though he's almost never IN the show.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#23MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/15/11 at 11:00am

Some more bits from LiveBway... They're going to use 5 HD cameras to capture the show, screenings will begin this May, and international dates and a DVD release are likely.

http://www.livebway.com/?page_id=645

Updated On: 1/15/11 at 11:00 AM

Stewpot Profile Photo
Stewpot
#24MEMPHIS to be Filmed Live for Nationwide Digital Cinema Distribution!
Posted: 1/15/11 at 11:28am

Come on, I can't be the only one to have been extremely annoyed by Huey's strange affects.

Aside from the goofy high kicks, the voice and facial expressions were like watching two hours of a George W. Bush speech. Ugh.

gayer than laughter, am I. And who wouldn't be, after seeing Cheyenne in those tight black shorts?

Videos