pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 1:23pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 1/16/2011 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/grosses.cfm

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 1:27pm

I'm still surprised that BJ Armstrong's return to Idiot is not halting its nosedive...

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 1:28pm

Good ending for N2N
Spiderman did very well again on just 6 performances

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 1:30pm

Wow, Lombardi!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 1:31pm

Armstrong wasn't in it last week.

"*Billie Joe Armstrong will be performing the role of "St. Jimmy" 1/1-1/9, 1/18-1/30, and 2/10-2/27. "

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 1:46pm

Odd, with it in it's final week I thought Next to Normal would have a higher capacity, but still great gross. I guess they comped a lot of tickets, that's what I would attribute to the drop in capacity.

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

NotSinceCarrie2
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 2:18pm

I guess this is the start of the slow period, but still, it's not too bad -- nobody fell under 50% capacity.

Also, I'd say reports of Lombardi's departure are premature.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 2:43pm

Comps would cause a hit in gross, not capacity. (unless rules changed)

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 3:02pm

I believe that was N2N's highest grossing week ever -- congratulations to them on capping off a wonderful run like that!

That seems to be American Idiot's highest non-Billie Joe gross since the summer -- looks like Billie Joe Armstrong's appearances may be having a halo effect.

That was also Lombardi's highest-grossing week ever.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Updated On: 1/18/11 at 03:02 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 3:12pm

Per Broadway.com, NEXT TO NORMAL broke the house record in its final week...

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 3:13pm

Spider-Man making 84.7% of its gross with only 75% of the scheduled performances for the week is actually quite astonishing.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 3:20pm

Mister Matt, it looks like the gross potential is adjusted to reflect the number of performances. It's still out-grossing every show but Lion King and Wicked with 75% as many performances, though.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

bwayfan7000
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 4:00pm

If demand continues for Spider-Man like it has been, it will be easily outgrossing every show each week, including Wicked. The performance I attended was completely sold out, with a huge cancellation line outside the theatre.

I'm surprised La Cage didn't have a higher gross this week...it was also sold out for Saturday night.

And over at American Idiot, the balcony was closed and my whole group (of 50+ people) were automatically seated in the front mezz. I thought the gross would have been lower.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim
Updated On: 1/18/11 at 04:00 PM

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 4:08pm

^It's going to for a while...right now people wanna see it just to see it.

But since Julie said it was not a "musical"
should they be included for weekly grosses?

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

binau Profile Photo
binau
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 5:19pm

Yep, all non-musicals including plays should be removed :-/

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 6:12pm

Way to go, Earnest! The power of great reviews!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 7:06pm

What happened at Lombardi?? That's quite the increase! It's not much of a play, but I still find it likeable enough to root for. I'm pretty impressed with how it's doing. Fingers crossed that Earnest shows some bigger gains in the coming weeks. Such a fabulous production!

Also, eff it. I know we're not supposed to root for shows to close because people are out of work and blah blah blah, but I want Million Dollar Quartet gone. The fact that it's up in such a dead week distresses me to no end. It and Spider-Man are neck and neck for worst book on Broadway.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 9:04pm

The New York Giants Lombardi Trophy from 2007 was on display at the theater last week which apparently helped get some extra butts in seats. Also, they've been heavily marketing to "non-traditional" groups and that seems to be paying off as well.

Ed_Mottershead
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 9:13pm

Sauja, I'm not all that surprised with Million Dollar Quartet's numbers during this part of the year -- like it or not, it has great appeal for people "of a certain age" who aren't your usual dyed-in-the-wool theatergoers. I'm not saying that it's any kind of masterpiece, but for what it is, it's acceptable, especially for the more non-discriminating playgoer. And I'm pretty sure its days are numbered, if for no other reason than the onslaught of new musicals.

BroadwayEd

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 11:49pm

Hmm I worded that wrong...they are going for more of a "cique" show so they should not be counted as a Broadway show I guess

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

bwayfan7000
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 11:50pm

Earnest was sold out, at least on the Saturday and Sunday matinees. I tried for Sunday, and couldn't get a last-minute ticket, which is why I saw Spider-Man. So, yes, the reviews really did help!

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

ahhrealmonsters
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/18/11 at 11:59pm

Earnest was comping left and right during previews, but the rest of the run is almost entirely sold out. I assume the lower numbers are attributed to the comps (opening night, etc.)

gordie
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/19/11 at 12:34am

Anyone else notice how short the list seemed? Eek.

marcblack
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/16
Posted: 1/19/11 at 3:31am

fingerlakessinger, why shouldn't Spider-Man be included on the "Broadway Grosses"? The list does not say musical grosses or play grosses... Any production that plays a Broadway theater is qualified as a Broadway show. The Broadway League determines which theaters are considered "Broadway" and Foxwoods is on that list. If a Cirque production plays the Ethel Barrymore, it's classified as "Broadway" and therefore would appear on the list of grosses. You'd have to campaign for The Broadway League to no longer recognize Foxwoods as a Broadway theater, and then it can be removed from the list of grosses.

Videos