pixeltracker

Hollywood Bowl's "Hairspray" Cast Suggestions

Hollywood Bowl's "Hairspray" Cast Suggestions

TheatreFan27 Profile Photo
TheatreFan27
#1Hollywood Bowl's "Hairspray" Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 6:04pm

Now that it's been confirmed, who would you like to see cast in the upcoming production of "Hairspray" at the Hollywood Bowl? What do you guys think of Nathan Lane as Edna Turnblad? Would he even consider it?

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#2Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 6:24pm

Edna-Brad Garrett
Tracy-Nicki Blonsky
Wilbur-Jeffery Tambor
Link-Cord Overstreet
Penny-Emmy Rossum (Don't kick me)
Velma-Morgan Fairchild
Amber-Julianne Hough
Seaweed-Ne-Yo
Motermouth Maybelle-Mo'Nique
Prudy/Gym Teacher/Warden-Joan Cusack
Corny-Adam Pascal
Updated On: 1/26/11 at 06:24 PM

KirbyCat
#2Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 6:35pm

For the record, Nathan Lane was Edna during workshops.

eatlasagna
#3Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 6:37pm

Nathan could be Edna and Matthew Broderick as Wilbur.. ha!!

tellybox Profile Photo
tellybox
#4Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 7:28pm

I LOVE the idea of Morgan Fairchild as Velma.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 9:38pm

I wonder if the cast will simply end up being half of former B'way cast members and half movie cast members.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#6Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 10:10pm

Edna-Eric Stonestreet
Link-Chord Overstreet
Amber-Diana Agron
Corny-Neil Patrick Harris

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#7Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 10:12pm

I caught two of the Bowl's musicals MAME (Michelle Lee and Christine Ebersole if I remember correctly) and RENT - and while Neil Patrick Harris did a fantastic job - and a good majority of that cast BROUGHT IT - I think its really tough to stage a show at that GINORMOUS venue....(just sayin)

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#8Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 10:12pm

I caught two of the Bowl's musicals MAME (Michelle Lee and Christine Ebersole if I remember correctly) and RENT - and while Neil Patrick Harris did a fantastic job - and a good majority of that cast BROUGHT IT - I think its really tough to stage a show at that GINORMOUS venue....(just sayin)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#9Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 11:32pm

Chances are, at least a few of the roles are already cast. They don't pick shows without a couple of stars in mind. If they've chosen Hairspray, you can bet they probably have their Edna, Corny, and maybe Penny or Amber already lined up.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#10Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 11:40pm

given that several members of the OBC have found success on Television (Matthew Morrison, Corey Reynolds, Marissa Jaret Winoker) they may reprise their roles.

As for Corny Collins, I suggest Donny Osmond. Maybe John Goodman as Edna.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#11Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 11:48pm

I'm calling Nikki Blonsky as Tracy.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#12Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 11:50pm

The director hasn't even been announced yet, so there isn't anyone cast.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

willep
#13Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/25/11 at 11:54pm

Ok I was coming to just jokingly say put the entire film cast in it, but to the person that suggested Eric Stonestreet, YES PLEASE.

Somewhere I heard a recording of "You're Timeless to Me" with Nathan Lane singing both roles.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#14Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/26/11 at 12:01am

Blonsky will no doubt end up as Tracy. And possibly Elijah Kelley back as Seaweed.

Hoping for Jimmy Marsden for Corny. Or, switch it up and have Matt Morrison play Corny.
Updated On: 1/26/11 at 12:01 AM

broadwayguy2
#15Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/26/11 at 12:29am

Oh, kids... SURELY we aim a bit higher than rehashing the original Broadway company members who happened to work in television and tossing in some of the film cast.

As anyone here knows, I would love to see some of them again in the show, but Marissa, for one, is no longer appropriate for Tracy in ANY capacity and that is factoring in the massive audience at the Hollywood.

I am SURE that there will be a very healthy mix of film, television and stage stars and some GREAT up and comers thrown in there.. and TRUST, I have a wish list - particularly for some of the meaty cameos and bit parts through out the show. Some might be a loft dream, but a gay can hope. I'd be happy to share a thought or two. For now, I will leave it at this --

Hairspray has always been about an unknown as Tracy, and I HIGHLY doubt Blonsky will at the Bowl, but we shall see. Perhaps it will be one of the stage vets from one of the many productions and maybe, perhaps, in keeping with tradition, it will be an unknown who we discover AS Tracy among a company of giants. My one HOPE is that the production is staged by Rob Marshall, who was originally slated to direct and choreograph the original Broadway production before he landed Chicago. I want to know the show in his hands.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#16Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/26/11 at 12:42am

Rob Marshall is, thankfully, busy making an unnecessary Pirates film. Ah well. . .

broadwayguy2
#17Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/26/11 at 12:50am

well, JP, the wonderful thing is that film schedules sometimes have holes in the production schedule at various stages and a two week rehearsal period and several associate choreographers actually make it NOT out of the realm of possibility for Marshal to do it.. particularly with a history working on the material.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#18Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/26/11 at 12:53am

A massive film like that will have him working on Post 24/7 until about 2 weeks before release. Darn.

peachesr
#19Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/26/11 at 8:51am

Except that the new Pirates movie will be released in May and this doesn't happen until August

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#20Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/26/11 at 9:00am

I could see Jane Lynch as Velma.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

BroadwayBound17 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound17
#21Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/26/11 at 9:23am

Nikki Blonsky as Tracy, mk.

2011: In The Heights Tour 1/16/11, The Color Purple Tour 2/11/11, West Side Story Tour 3/18/11

luvbrdway
#22Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/26/11 at 10:04am

Went to the Hollywood Bowl website and could find no mention of Hairspray. Can someone direct me to a link with the info on dates? Thanks.

TheatreFan27 Profile Photo
TheatreFan27
#23Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/26/11 at 12:56pm

Playbill.com announced today that the show will play the weekend of August 5-7th.

I LOVE the idea of Eric Stonestreet as Edna! He would be absolute perfection on that stage! I could also see Jonathan Groff as Link and I would actually love to have Queen Latifah reprise her on-screen role as Motormouth Maybelle!

Q
#24Hollywood Bowl's 'Hairspray' Cast Suggestions
Posted: 1/26/11 at 1:18pm

I kind of wish they'd cast Travolta, just to watch the meltdowns that would surely occur.

Videos