pixeltracker

Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in "Chicago"

Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in "Chicago"

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in "Chicago"
Posted: 7/7/11 at 5:08pm

I found this Playbill first look segment regarding Nikka Lanzarone's debut as "Velma Kelly." She is fortunate to be playing opposite Charlottte D'Amboise. There's much that Nikka can learn from Charlotte. from RC in Austin, Texas

Nikka Lanzarone Playbill First Look

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 7/7/11 at 05:08 PM

ahhrealmonsters
#2Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/7/11 at 5:34pm

"There's much that Nikka can learn from Charlotte."

That's actually funny that you said that, because when I saw the pictures, I thought, 'Velma is older and more experienced, and Roxie is young and fresh, yet Charlotte looks twice Nikka's age.'

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/7/11 at 5:38pm

There's much that Nikka can learn from Charlotte.

With all due respect... Charlotte has never played Velma in CHICAGO. What can Nikka learn from Charlotte? How to play Roxie when she's playing Velma?

Playbill First Look:  Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#3Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/7/11 at 6:55pm

Brody, I'm sure the implication was that a relative newcomer like Lanzarone can learn quite a bit about performing in general from d'Amboise. Just like Alexandra Silber is probably learning a lot from Tyne Daly right now. Not about how to play Maria Callas. Just about how to perform period. D'Amboise may not be a star, but she's a consummate professional.

And Lanzarone, who I've now seen in Women on the Verge and Hellow Again...she interests me. I'd argue that she didn't give terribly strong performances in either, but for some reason, I just get this feeling that she has a ton of potential. Some weird X factor that I can't put my finger on. I'm actually very, very curious to hear how she is as Velma.

BrodyFosse123
Patti LuPone FANatic
#5Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/7/11 at 8:07pm

Brody...what Sauja said. Charlotte has only played "Roxie', that's obvious. But she's worked alongside quite a few "Velmas" that she can share quite a bit of knowledge of the character/choreography to a "Chicago" newcomer like Nikka. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#6Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/7/11 at 8:12pm

I'm so glad she is back on broadway. She was one of the very few things I liked (in her case loved) in WOTV

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#7Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/7/11 at 8:19pm

Why is that guy in the front of the first pic even wearing a shirt?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#8Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/7/11 at 8:28pm

I realize you're making a joke, but the shirt is needed to keep it consistent. If he weren't wearing a shirt all eyes would be on him because he'd be the only one not in a black top, and therefore would pull focus.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/7/11 at 8:36pm

"Why is that guy in the front of the first pic even wearing a shirt?"

Thank you, because I can't stop looking at his chest.

Just give the world Love.

BrodyFosse123
#10Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/7/11 at 8:46pm

A little more of 'the chest':

Playbill First Look:  Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'

Patti LuPone FANatic
#11Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/7/11 at 9:01pm

The dark haired one to the left of Nikka is Michael Cusumano. The blonde haired one to the right is Ryan Worsing. from RC in Austin, Texas

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/14/11 at 5:47pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=256321

As I feared, her vocals are not very strong.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#13Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/14/11 at 5:47pm

double post Updated On: 7/14/11 at 05:47 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#14Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/14/11 at 6:49pm

Nikka is incredibly captivating. I couldn't take my eyes off of her in WOTV and she had me enraptured in Hello Again. Her vocals are shockingly poor especially at the end of All That Jazz (cringe-worthy, to be honest.) I hope it was nerves and she nails the role. I think she is a talented young woman.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

littlegreen2 Profile Photo
littlegreen2
#15Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/14/11 at 7:21pm

Nikka looks fantastic. I still haven't seen Chicago on Broadway so maybe this is my opportunity.

"I will not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand: Till we have built Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land."

ahhrealmonsters
#16Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/15/11 at 9:54am

Does anyone know who the understudy performing Roxie at the park is? I found her oddly captivating.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#17Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/15/11 at 10:12am

The majority of Nikka's "All That Jazz" performance is...adequate. That ending was an atrocity though, like bad karaoke. I do hope she improves...

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Patti LuPone FANatic
#18Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/15/11 at 3:22pm

The talented lady playing "Roxie Hart" in the Bryant Park clip is Melissa Rae Mahon. She's one of the two "Roxie" understudies (the other u/s being Dylis Croman). Melissa is one of the very few "Chicago" veterans who have played all of the following roles throughout the years: Roxie, Velma, Mama Morton, Mona and Go-To-Hell-Kitty (her current role).

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#19Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/15/11 at 10:58pm

Melissa Rae Mahon has amazingly expressive arms.

jack4jazz Profile Photo
jack4jazz
#20Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/17/11 at 6:01pm

So true! Her vocal are very very very weak! They should bring Brenda Braxton back! Or put in a pro with a following like RACHELLE RAK! Hello she is a VELMA KELLY!!!!!!

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#21Playbill First Look: Nikka Lanzarone in 'Chicago'
Posted: 7/18/11 at 12:55am

It's tough to hear yourself when singing outside, let alone in the heart of Manhattan amidst screaming fans, so I'll cut Nikka a break until there's video of her singing live.

Melissa Ray Mahon is incredible. Her voice is better than adequate, and I agree with Joey that the fluidity of her arms can tell novels, let alone mere stories.

Hasn't Rachelle Rak already been in Chicago?

Videos