pixeltracker

The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread

The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#1The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/2/11 at 5:08pm

No better time to start this thread than with the announcement of their rush policy, Student Rush, $35 at B.O. opening, 2 per ID.

Bernadette Peters, Jan Maxwell, Danny Burstein, Ron Raines and Elaine Paige headline the Broadway transfer of the Kennedy Center's production of the Stephen Sondheim-James Goldman musical FOLLIES.

Just got tickets for September 25th, Flea Market day, what about you all?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/2/11 at 5:12pm

Will be at the first preview.

I can't tell if it is selling well or not..I'm guessing no....there are still *at least* 527 seats left for the first preview. And who knows how many front orchestra seats are being held (they seem to release a couple, wait till they sell then release more - a good idea because it gives the illusion the front orchestra is sold out and buying premium tickets would be a good idea).

But e.g. The Neil Simon's Mezz is very empty the day or two before the show yet still seems to fill most of it so perhaps a lot of tickets will be sold last minute or at TKTS..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 8/2/11 at 05:12 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#2The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/2/11 at 5:12pm

Going on Sunday...I plan on returning a few times during the run.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#3The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/2/11 at 5:30pm

We're going to the Sunday matinee on 10/16. First row mezz, dead center. Not sure if I can wait that long. May have to convince one of my kids that they need to go before then.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/2/11 at 5:37pm

I got a discount ticket for Aug. 16th. Can't wait.

Just give the world Love.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#5The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/2/11 at 6:37pm

Out of town for the next three weeks and it's killing me. I'm already booked for August 31 as a belated birthday present to myself. But now that rush has been announced, I see myself going quite often. It's wonderful that they're doing guaranteed rush for every performance.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

bwayfan7000
#6The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/2/11 at 10:51pm

^Well, from what they said on their Facebook page, the tickets will be "limited" and based on availability", which, to me, sounds like not guaranteed but at least very likely for every performance. Nonetheless, I will certainly be seeing it at least once during its run and look very forward to seeing it again after loving it in DC.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#7The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/2/11 at 11:21pm

Walked up to the Marriot today and went up to check out the Marquis. They were unloading some stuff in the lobby (probably souvenirs) and Wonderland's poster was added to the wall.Hope everyone who goes has a great time.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

chiuptown
#8The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 6:10am

Updated On: 8/3/11 at 06:10 AM

chiuptown
#9The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 6:10am

we're going (5 of us) to the matinee on Oct 16th also, but putting off buying tix yet, in hopes of a discount being extended- taking to much of a gamble?

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#10The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 6:17am

Here's hoping that this thread is as amazing as the Spider-Man preview thread...

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#11The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 7:35am

It's "official" -- how could it not be? LOL

http://docandraider.com

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#12The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 9:33am

Sat night the 13th, orch center and will report back.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#13The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 10:26am

The way that the press release is worded would indicate that rush is going to be available regularly:

"a limited number of Student Rush tickets will be sold on the day of the performance to students with a valid student ID for $35 (+ $2 fee). Two tickets per ID. Cash only. Rush tickets will be sold when the BO opens each day!"

The "based on availability" comment from their Facebook appears to refer to how many tickets they'll have for each performance. But it seems like they will have rush for most (if not all) performance.

The Marquis has really good sight lines all around (which, I guess, makes up for the lack of charm and Vegas feel you get from watching a show inside a hotel). I've sat all over the theatre and never found a bad seat. That said, I did treat myself to a Row D, dead center seat for my first performance on the 31st. Happy birthday to me.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#14The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 10:55am

Well Happy Birthday early, AC. I'll give a little pre-celebration for you in dead center, Row F on the 30th. Can't wait. I was off to the right in DC and missed some things. Decided to definitely splurge for the prime seat this time. After that, it will be cheap seats all the way.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#15The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 11:03am

Moljul, The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread!

Decided to definitely splurge for the prime seat this time. After that, it will be cheap seats all the way.

My thoughts exactly. I've never seen a fully-staged production of Follies (just the Encores concert, three times), so I wanted to make my first experience a special one. And then it will be strictly rush and TKTS. One of the only perks of still being in graduate school is my beloved student ID and the access it affords.

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#16The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 11:41am

Yes, at 40 years old, I am about to embark on my Master Degree. Already have the NYU ID which will help me get a little theater on my grad student budget. Guess I'll have to learn all the ins and outs of Student Rush.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#17The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 12:09pm

moljul, I'm in a similar boat, about to start on a linguistics PhD at the age of 38. Don't forget about TDF - I can't wait to take advantage of some of those deals, especially to see more plays.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#18The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 12:12pm

TDF is great, too. I've been a member since I was in high school, a good few years ago. Their prices seem to steadily raise, though, but you get more of a sense of guarantee (and convenience) than you do with rush.

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#19The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/3/11 at 1:57pm

kdogg, Good luck with the Ph.D. It does come with some "issues" but returning to school at "our age" also brings lots of excitement. I least for me it does. Embarking on a 2nd career that I hope will be more fulfilling than the first.

I was a member of TDF because I used to work at Columbia but let it lapse when I was out of work for so long. But I'll definitely look into getting it again. Thanks for the reminder.

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#20The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/5/11 at 12:38am

Gonna try the student rush on Sunday. Two tickets per ID? That means you can buy a non-student a ticket?

Everything in life...is only for now.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#21The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/5/11 at 12:47am

Yes.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#22The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/5/11 at 1:33am

Both WONDERLAND and 9 TO 5 used the extreme side orchestra seats for their rush policies at the Marquis. I wouldn't be surprised if those are the same seats FOLLIES ends up using.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

kc2 Profile Photo
kc2
#23The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/6/11 at 1:13pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I know this is a limited engagement so has a closing date been announced yet? Trying to plan a trip from the UK.
Updated On: 8/6/11 at 01:13 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#24The Official FOLLIES Broadway Thread
Posted: 8/6/11 at 2:24pm

I think it was late December but who knows how long it will last.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Videos