pixeltracker

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4- Page 3

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#50CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 12:09am

So sad to hear this! With so much talent, I had hoped it would last longer. I'm one of the people who's been pulling for this show from the beginning, and it's a shame it didn't get the praise and audience it deserved. I can just imagine how powerful Aaron's last Goodbye will be. Best wishes to everyone involved!

BosBroad
#51CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 12:47am

I guess unlike some here, I am surprised. And saddened. But, best wishes to everyone... what else is there to say?

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#52CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 12:47am

Word of mouth has been pretty mixed. Tourists who've never seen anything seem to love it... most new yorkers didn't like it much... been hearing it called "BORE ME IF YOU CAN" a lot lately. One of my friends is a producer on this show and she's been worried about it since day one... advance sales have never been big, and they often give comps and extra student tix to fill the house. Also ALL shows have a big september drop off so if there isn't advance sales... the future looks bleak... plus new shows are trying to nudge their way in...

sundayclothes2
#53CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 1:12am

Blame it on Andrew Loyd Webber.

Had he not tied up Jack O'Brien and Jerry Mitchell with Love Never Days, they would have brought Catch Me in last season, one of the worst in recent years.
It would have easily beat "Memphis" and won Best Musical.

This year, there is no chance any new musical will survive besides Book of Mormon. Updated On: 8/10/11 at 01:12 AM

bk
#54CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 1:49am

"Is casey nicholaw the next Hal prince? His shows seems to be the ones that keep doing well over and over."

Oh, I don't know - lest we forget - Minsky's, Robin and the Seven Hoods...

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#55CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 3:29am

Are we all going to wear black on September 4th? I assume President Obama will declare it a National Day of Mourning?

Seriously? People are upset about this turd closing? Or even surprised?

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#56CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 3:51am

Not surprised. I thought it was a terrible show. Still always sad when a show closes prematurely

staunchcharacter Profile Photo
staunchcharacter
#57CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 5:05am

SO soon? I really wanted priscilla to go first.....

AnythingGoes2
#58CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 5:51am

Very surprised by the early closure, I thought Jan...

I'm surprised EVITA isn't opening here considering it was originally sized up for that theatre when ALW was bringing it in in 2007/8.

Priscilla, sadly will be next if CMIYC posted notices, it was doing better than Priscilla! Broadway have marketing Priscilla so badly, focusing on the divas and it being a girls night out show.

Sister Act/Addams Family I think will last thru to Jan...

Few big theatre's available for Spring... Ghost will grab one of them and Jesus C Superstar

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#59CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 6:03am

Jesus Christ Superstar already has the Neil Simon, as per Riedel's column.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#60CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 6:59am

Wait? We want shows to close? I thought we were theatre supporters?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#61CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 7:35am

A few people make poor comments and all of a sudden WE want shows to close?

Nobody WANTS shows to close, but we also aren't foolish -- the writing is on the wall, and shows DO close. That's how we get NEW shows.

To say a show "deserves" a longer run is silly -- if it DESERVED it, they would have figured out how to get more people interested in it and buying tickets. Sometimes its the fault of marketing (as seems to be the case with Priscilla) and sometimes it the fault of the material (CMIYC) or subject matter (Scottsboro Boys) or of the design team/director (Bye Bye Birdie). It is SELDOM the fault of the cast.

I'm not sad its closing, I didn't think it was a particularly good show. I feel bad for all the people that are once again facing unemployment, and I wish them all the best of luck landing a new show. A career in the theater is not a secure one, however, and they are all aware of the ups and downs. I daresay that MOST of them probably deal with it better than many of the fans. They're gypsies, after all -- its part of the lifestyle they have chosen. (Still, it sucks for them.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#62CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 7:40am

I'm not just talking about this thread in particular but the "which show will close next" thread. Apologies for the mis-understanding.

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#63CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 7:51am

>> "I'm not just talking about this thread in particular but the "which show will close next" thread."

Sometimes it's just pretty easy to look at the weeklies and figure it out. That's not saying anyone wants these things to close out of spite, just dealing with the harsh reality of it all.

http://docandraider.com

justafan2
#64CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 9:32am

I'm sad about this---I had tix to see it again in September. While I didn't love the book, I loved parts of the score and all of the talent!

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#65CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 9:59am

Maybe there's a chance Norbert will do what he did for the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels tour and go with the tour for the first part or for some of the stops. I'm sure he's star enough that he could opt to do stops only on the east coast and something in the Pacific Northwest if it were to travel in that direction (though it might not since it debuted in Seattle). In doing so, he would be able to be near his wife/daughter and/or other relatives respectively and it would help sales.

I'm surprised that it didn't hang on a little longer but I didn't love it and I don't think it was very good - good, decent, but not exceptional.

If Jesus Christ Superstar is in fact in the Neil Simon:
Sister Act - Broadway Theater - Broadway between 52nd and 53rd
Jesus Christ Superstar - Neil Simon - 52st
Godspell - Circle in the Square - 50th
Book of Mormon - Eugene O'Neill - 49th

...trend?

pat_NYborn Profile Photo
pat_NYborn
#66CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 10:19am

Hey Guys!! Need an honest opinion!! Had originally put Catch me if you can toward the bottom of my list of shows to see...to be honestly thought it woul'dve stuck around till at least Christmas....is it worth seeing?

Am wondering which is next to walk to plank? Priscilla? Sister Act seems to be doing well enough! To me itll be like adams family and get at least a solid year in! any thoughts?

thanks for the help!

JillianSch Profile Photo
JillianSch
#67CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 10:28am

Count me as one of those people who despised this show...But, it is always sad when people lose their jobs. Wishing them the best.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#68CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 11:19am

I'm really betting that PRISCILLA will be next, but God knows I could be wrong. Still, it's looking financially like CATCH, and IIRC it's in a much bigger theatre.

http://docandraider.com

Pammylicious Profile Photo
Pammylicious
#69CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 3:55pm

Have my reasons but I think Priscilla will close of September 18. Just remember that date.

I am a New Yorker that loved CMIYC.....saw it twice. I'm sad about the closing.

NotYourMemories Profile Photo
NotYourMemories
#70CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 4:13pm

With regards to the question of whether "Catch Me" is worth seeing in its remaining weeks, I would suggest listening to some tracks from the OBC. Marc Shaiman wrote brand-new 1960s TV variety and Sinatra big-band tunes for this show, along the lines of the brand-new Motown tunes he create for "Hairspray". I love that sort of thing and thus the score and show really landed for me. I've read several comments about the score sounding like "elevator music", no doubt from people less familiar with modern jazz.

On another topic, do you guys really think there will be a tour? Almost every show that flops goes out announcing a tour to save face for producers and investors. Are national presenters really dying to book a show that couldn't last 6 months on Broadway? I think this show could do well on the road with at least one big name celebrity or TV star in the cast, but I'm not sure otherwise.

Ray Romano as Frank Sr? Linda Lavin as Mrs. Strong? Miley Cyrus as Brenda?

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#71CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 11:31pm

Thank God.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

FindingNamo
#72CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 11:46pm

'been hearing it called "BORE ME IF YOU CAN" a lot lately.'

Wow, you have a veritable bunch of Robert Benchleys in your circle.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#73CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/10/11 at 11:55pm

I loved this show.

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#74CATCH ME IF YOU CAN closing on September 4
Posted: 8/11/11 at 12:09am

Just snagged a TDF ticket for this coming Saturday. I've been trying for years to see Norbert Leo Butz in something live! He was out both times I saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, his understudy was wonderful, but I wish I could have seen him. So I'm extremely excited for this weekend!

Videos