pixeltracker

Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?

Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?

jetts7 Profile Photo
jetts7
#1Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 8:39pm

Does anyone else think it's a good idea? It could run from Halloween to Christmas.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#2Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/28/11 at 8:40pm

I swear i read a new post about this every week

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#2Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 12:28am

Count me in as a "No".

I seem to be one of the few people I know who didn't like it.

For me the only song that didn't sound like all the other ones was the one that the villian sang. And the only reason that it didn't sound like the other ones is because Ken Page sang it.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#3Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 12:30am

No thank you. I really cannot see see this translating well to the stage.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#4Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 12:34am

Right there with ya, sondheimboy2.

There's quirky, and then there's Tim Burton.

Owen22
#5Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 12:47am

It has an awful score. It really does.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#6Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 4:53pm

It has a *non*-score: only one song is developed; the rest are just playing themselves out. And let us not forget how stylized the look was: there is no way, sorry, that you could recreate that onstage without serious sacrifice.

You want to do a Burton show? Corpse Bride.

http://docandraider.com

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#7Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 6:44pm

Which song do you think is the only developed one?

I think the score is great, but I appreciate it FOR the nonmelodic, meandering melodic structures and styles as much as anything else. It's very much in the early Kurt Weill style (with exceptions).

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#8Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 8:47pm

Oogie Boogie's song. The rest just go nowhere and then stop, which is a shame because they have such great set ups.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#9Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 9:03pm

Am I the only one who saw this thread title and thought the thread was about Lysistrata Jones?

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#10Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 9:11pm

I always assumed that the songs were that way by design, as many songs in "The Threepenny Opera" function exactly the same way- going nowhere, building to a climax and then ending without reaching that climax at all.

I could be wrong, but then again, songs with non-endings are kind of staples of Elfman's songwriting style, as a bandleader for Oingo Boingo and in his musical endeavors.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#11Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 10:00pm

I think Nightmare Before Christmas is a wonderful score. I recently saw Cirque Du Soleil Iris in Los Angeles, which has a 2 hour score by Danny Elfman, and it made me realize just how talented the man is.

I think that Nightmare Before Christmas could be an amazing broadway musical. Julie Taymor could have had a Tony by now (instead of being fired from Spiderman) if she took on Nightmare Before Christmas. Her experience with puppets would make the production magical. Should this ever be done, I hope her relationship with Disney Theatrics will get her the job.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Franco32
#12Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 10:07pm

I can't wait to get to New York!!! This is one of the shows I got to see!!!

Updated On: 11/29/11 at 10:07 PM

AEA AGMA SM
#13Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 10:22pm

Well you'll need to wait, as it's nowhere near the realm of reality at the moment.

Emmaloucbway
#14Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 10:38pm

I absolutely love this movie, and I would love for it to come to Broadway, but i don't think it would translate well to the stage.

LegallyBroadway2
#15Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 10:48pm

As a whole, maybe it wouldn't translate well (I'd love to see an attempt some day, and wish it could succeed!), but Julie Taymor would create some great puppets. . I'd love to see that collaboration.

Moneyspider
#16Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 11:19pm

Here's how Jack and Sally look at Disney parks: http://www.dlrptoday.com/2008/09/23/jack-skellington-and-sally-arrive-in-paris/

I also wonder if a Bway show would be greenlit if the movie can't get its own year-round ride in the parks.

TexanAddams18
#17Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 11:44pm

i think it has amazing potential

TexanAddams18
#18Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/29/11 at 11:44pm

i think it has amazing potential

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#19Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/30/11 at 12:10am

As cynical as one can be about Disney, I doubt they'd worry if it could get a theme park ride or not (mary Poppins doesn't have one--Tarzan, which was an awful idea anyway, barely does with the Treehouse in some parks, Beauty and the Beast doesn't have one, Aladdin doesn't, Newsies doesn't...)

I like Nightmare Before Xmas a lot--and while I don't love the score like some, I do like it and I think the comparisons with Weill are fair enough (stylistically)--Corpse Bride has a far less interesting score, but it probably could be expanded with live actors better. A huge part of the charm of Nightmare is due to Henry Selick's amazing direction of the stop motion characters (Corpse Bride which Burton directed instead of Selick is far less accomplished IMHO)--not everything needs to be adapted for stage...

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#20Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/30/11 at 3:30pm

>> "not everything needs to be adapted for stage..."

Thank you!

(How ya doing, bud?)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#21Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/30/11 at 5:33pm

I love the design and imagery of Nightmare Before Christmas, but that's it. I watched the film several times thinking I'm sure to fall in love with it, but it never happens. I much prefer Corpse Bride.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#22Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 11/30/11 at 5:44pm

I actually do sometimes get annoyed when people complain about every musical seeming to come from a film hit, though there's some justification there--but more annoying is the fact that many people seem to see a movie, any movie, in any format, particularly if it has songs--and they love it and immediately decide it should be a stage musical. Really, most of the charm and *reason* for Nightmare would be gone for me if it weren't done in stop motion animation, just like I don't wanna see a CGI remake, or a live action film either. Besides wasn't the stop motion holiday thing partially done as a hommage and parody of the Rankin Bass holiday TV specials? Should we adapt all of those too?

I'm doing ok--would do better if I could figure out why this forum will only let me log on and post half the time, and sometimes decides to give me an avatar and other times doesn't... :P Hope you're well Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?

actorgaedu Profile Photo
actorgaedu
#23Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 12/1/11 at 9:09am

I think this would make an amazing seasonal project like "The Grinch", "Elf", and "A Christmas Carol" have done in recent years. The score can certainly be re worked and beefed up, but to me the visual would be great and so cool to watch on stage. Broadway is in need of some new creative juices and it doesn't have to come from original works alone to make that happen. I am all for this project if someone from Disney would just wake up and make it happen!

Theater anywhere, anytime and with anyone. It's my passion.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#24Nightmare before christmas on Broadway?
Posted: 12/1/11 at 9:54am

I love the movie, but even at it's 76 minute running time it feels padded out a great deal. Not only that, but as others have said, the film's visual style is really what makes it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."