pixeltracker

Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....

Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/11/12 at 10:52pm

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=2038637

My god. Two hours with Mandy (and his son) sounds like torture.

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#2Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:01pm

They let the show go on without half of the star cast? I didn't know you could just add someone in randomly and say it's the show. Does Equity allow that kind of thing often?

I didn't know his son's name was Gideon and laughed since his character's name was that on Criminal Minds. I'm assuming that he asked for his character to be named that?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:03pm

I believe something similar happened when they were touring and I seem to think people were given the option for a refund or a chance to exchange their tickets (they were at the venue for a week), in addition to Mandy's concert.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#3Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:29pm

That sounds painful. And no, I'm not talking about Patti's sciatica.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:31pm

Oh god this sounds like a great idea for a forbidden broadway parody of "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream".

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:39pm

Very smart of him to do the show without an intermission today. Very smart.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#6Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:43pm

Well Patti was in tonights show though. I finally decided to go see it. It was meh.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#7Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:55pm

"Patti and Mandy" minus Patti? That must be like the sound of one hand clapping.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#8Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:57pm

I think the sound of one hand clapping (i.e. silence) would be welcome after listening to Mandy sing for 2 hours.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/11/12 at 11:57 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 2:59am

I know this is unpopular: but I would likely have been in heaven. I adore him (despite his being insane). I am inexplicably drawn to his intensity.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#10Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 3:24am

I thought he was surprisingly tame and understated (for Mandy, at least) at the first preview. No clue if this has continued throughout the run, though. His "Oh, What a Circus!" was pretty fantastic.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#11Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 8:37am

In 2009 this happened in Cleveland, too.

They were there for 2 weeks, and performed Tuesday-Sunday. Patti got sick during the first week, and she didn't perform at the matinee on the first Sunday.

I went the 2nd Sunday, and there were some insane Mandy groupies at the stage door (they made their own posters for him to sign!) and they were absolutely raving about how they got to see him perform his one-man show.

Mandy came out with his assistant, scribbled his name on my Playbill and the other people's homemade posters, and hightailed it down the street. "Patti had already left." hehe

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 1/12/12 at 08:37 AM

MatineeLover
#12Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 9:54am

How deep did he have to reach into his playbook? Did he get as far as "Ya'll are Brutalizing Me" from the highly acclaimed film Run Ronnie Run?

Updated On: 1/12/12 at 09:54 AM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#13Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 10:19am

Why didn't the producers have Christine Pedi standing by?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#14Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 10:21am

I thought he was surprisingly tame and understated (for Mandy, at least) at the first preview. No clue if this has continued throughout the run, though. His "Oh, What a Circus!" was pretty fantastic.

I saw the show on New Year's Eve and was also surprised at how relatively tame and understated he was. I still hate his one man version of "Buddy's Blues," but it wasn't nearly as terrible as I remembered it being. I did, however, hear a lot more about him than I really ever cared to, though.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Dollypop
#15Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 11:17am

I, also, was in the audience last night. Patti seemed to be in fine form. Mandy was Mandy--for better or for worse. Aside from the wonderful moments recreated from GYPSY and EVITA, the most marvelous moments were in the CAROUSEL segment at the end of the evening.

I enjoyed the show.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#16Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 11:37am

dramamama - I thought I was the only one! lol I adore Mandy. You may find him annoying, but you can't say he's not a great performer. He's so intense and always gives 110%. I'm ready to see him in another actual musical! I wish I could have seen this, although...I think they probably should have just canceled. People were coming to see Patti AND Mandy. That's what the show is all about. I'm sure there were some disappointed people in the crowd...I just wouldn't have been one of them, because he's the only reason I want to see the show.

mamaleh
#17Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 11:42am

I also confess to a fondness for Mandy overkill. He just charges up my batteries; what can I say?

I heard from someone who attended that Hugh Jackman was at the matinee yesterday. Presumably he stayed for the unexpectedly Mandy-centric show.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#18Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 1:39pm

I would not have been able to stay without Patti there. For some reason, his voice just grates on my nerves. I don't know if its the way he shapes his vowels or his tone (I think both) but something about it makes me wanna run for the hills.
I'm not denying the man's talent though. Just doesn't do it for me :/

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

TotallyJeannius Profile Photo
TotallyJeannius
#19Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 2:25pm

Hmmm, neither "An Evening" nor "with Patti LuPone". Not denying his talent, but there's just something about watching Mandy perform live that makes me cringe. Like when you're watching someone sing with their eyes closed and you sink into your seat out of embarrassment for them. I'm gonna chalk it up to those crazy gestures he does with his hands.

rjm516
#20Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 2:33pm

I saw this last month, and while I would have of course been disappointed to miss Patti, I would absolutely love (and have loved in the past) solo Mandy concerts. He is incredible. And, both he and Patti were delightful at stage door.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#21Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 2:36pm

Mandy's style is just not for everyone. Even tame, as he is here, he has certain mannerisms that are always going to rub people the wrong way. But so does Patti. That's why they work so well together, for the people who like them both.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Dollypop
#22Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 4:05pm

Last night I was impressed with Mandy's legitimate baritone voice. It's when he goes into that strange head voice that I find very annoying. It's like the man has two distinctive singing voices.

Has anyone heard his Sancho Panza on Placido Domingo's MAN OF LA MANCHA recording? Patinkin is nothing short of brilliant on that disc.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#23Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 7:56pm

So what did his son do?

I wouldn't mind it, I'd just be a little disappointed not to see Patti too...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#24Patti out of Patti and Mandy today.....
Posted: 1/12/12 at 8:02pm

Here is the song list for the Patti-less performance:

Bring Him Home
Doodle Doo Doo
"Once Upon A Time…" (Distant Melody) / Atchison, Topeka & The Santa Fe/ Children & Art / Sunday
Cat's in the Cradle (with Gideon)
Agony 1 (with Gideon)
Lily's Eyes (with Gideon)
Fugue For Tinhorns (with Gideon and Paul Ford)
Rockabye
Easy Street / Can You Use Any Money Today / Rock Island (with Paul Ford)
Paper Moon Medley (with Gideon)
Trouble (with Gideon)
Casey
If I Loved You
Soliloquy
Sorry Grateful / Being Alive
Agony 2 (with Gideon)
"Without the Least Excuse…" (Tchaikovsky) (with Gideon)
The Minute Waltz (with Gideon)

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos