pixeltracker

Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?

Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?

Will42 Profile Photo
Will42
#1Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 3:25pm

To my great regret I haven't seen the Broadway revival so I obviously have no say in it, but I'm interested in others opinion. Judging only by YouTube clips Jayne Houdyshell is a wonderful Hattie, but I just can't stop watching Who's That Woman? number. Terri White is so organic and makes it look so easy. Really happy for her success after what she's been through.

Dollypop
#2Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 3:26pm

Marian Seldes

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Musicaldudepeter
#2Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 3:29pm

I honestly thought ELAINE PAIGE was a shoo-in for a nomination this year. Just because it's Elaine Paige. But alas it wasn't to be.

Will42 Profile Photo
Will42
#3Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 3:29pm

And the point is?...

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#4Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 3:31pm

I saw Linda Lavin, so I can't speak for Houdyshell, but I just don't think that Stella is a Tony-baiting role. Yes, she has Who's That Woman, but that's as much a group number as it is hers, and she's got virtually nothing else to do in the entire show. And White, good as she was, was just good in what's kind of an actor-proof role.

Updated On: 5/6/12 at 03:31 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#5Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 3:39pm

I agree... "Who's That Woman?" is always going to be a crowd pleaser.

The fact that Houdyshell was so memorable and managed to steal the spotlight with a role that is so small is really a triumph, I think. It was a testament to her abilities that she was able to do so much with so little.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BroadwayFan12
#6Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 3:45pm

I LOVED everything about Terri White's performance, but Houdyshell's performance was more award-worthy, IMO. I think Elaine Paige deserved it most.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#7Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 3:59pm

When i saw follies i was like whats with jane's character..she kind of annoying, but she remained that way throughout the entire show and was always interrupting the action...meaning Jane was always in character...terri on the other hand was rarly on stage except for "whose that woman?"

IThespis Profile Photo
IThespis
#8Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 5:03pm

Jayne deserved the nom ... returning the role to the original concept. She is just bigger than Ethel Shutta was. It's not a song for a star-turn, or lots of jumping up and down and shouting; in the show it's part of a medley.

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#9Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 5:30pm

Both. And Paige.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#10Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 5:31pm

1. Elaine Paige
2. Rachel Potter
3. Jayne Houdyshell
4. Terri White

in that order.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#11Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 6:05pm

I'm sure in 10 years Terri White will tell people that she was in fact nominated for a Tony for Follies, just like she claimed to be for Barnum.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 6:10pm

It was actually the NY Times article that said she was nominated for a Tony. Then they made the correction. Granted she could have given them that info herself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/nyregion/27bigcity.html

Anyway, Houdyshell did a lot with such a tiny role. She never failed to stop the show. It's a pleasant surprise to see her nominated, but I also wanted to see Paige nominated.

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#13Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 6:10pm

Im kinda mixed on this i absolutely LOVED Terri, Jayne, and Elaine in the show! Considering their ages, for them to be up there singing and dancing like crazy imo is just AMAZING!!

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#14Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 6:20pm

Terri White stopped the show but Stella is a very small role. Still, she made Who's that Woman one of the more exciting moments of the show. I'm a huge Terri fan but I would never say she should replace one of her costars as a nominee.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#15Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 7:23pm

See the thing is "Who's that Woman" is tailored to be a show stopper, it is just the kind of song it is. On the other hand you really have to have a great actress and singer to pull off "Broadway Baby". As much as I loved Terri White in the role, in those three minutes Jayne had you in the palm of her hand and she was not giving you back.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#16Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 7:28pm

Not only that, but she managed to remain a strong presence onstage during the party scenes, with what little dialogue she had.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#17Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 7:48pm

Rosalind Elias.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#18Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 8:01pm

I tip my hat to the Rosalind Elias comment. Wow, what a impact.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#19Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/6/12 at 8:10pm

Now I want to fly out to Los Angeles!!!

I loved both Terri White and Houdyshell. Such moving performances, both.

God, I love that show.

Updated On: 5/6/12 at 08:10 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#20Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 8:59am

They were both great. But it would have seemed JUST SO WRONG to me if Jayne hadn't gotten the nomination, and I'm not having quite the same feeling about Terri's not being nominated. They are both cameo-size roles, but you can't take your eyes off of Jayne when she's on that stage. Next to Danny, she was my favorite thing in the show.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#21Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 9:22am

I would have chosen Terri White, but I have to admit that my opinion is impacted by the fact that I'm not over her not being nominated for Finian's Rainbow.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#22Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 9:42am

1. Rosalind Elias
2. Jayne Houdyshell
(big space)
3. Elaine Paige
4. Terri White

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

kevin5
#23Jayne Houdyshell or Terri White: Who deserved that Tony nom more?
Posted: 5/7/12 at 10:38am

Let me start by saying Terri White was very good and I enjoied her performance and the last time I saw the show before it closed Terry actually stopped the shopw and got a standing ovation after the mirror num ber, BUT I would gove the tony to Jayne Houdyshell, she deserves it, she gave a great performance for how small her role was.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming

Videos