Evita

krcasteel1986
#1Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 11:06am

For "Evita", is it better to see a performance with Elena Roger or her understudy?

smallworld Profile Photo
smallworld
#2Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 11:43am

See Elena Roger. I'm sure many of the snobs on here would disagree, but I find her to be quite wonderful in the role.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 11:47am

It's not her understudy, its the alternate.

There is no right or wrong, as neither woman is making all audiences think, "wow". I think this shows that the problem is in the direction, and not necessarily the actress.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#3Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 11:49am

I saw it with Roger and thought she was breathtakingly good.

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#4Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 1:11pm

I saw Elena Roger about two weeks ago and I found her performance to be phenomenal - my third favorite of the season. Her take on Eva Perón is a more sentimental one, so you may end up feeling for her by the end of the show. I'm not sure that was the original intent of the musical's creators, but she does very well by this production. To sum up, see Elena.

Updated On: 5/16/12 at 01:11 PM

Rainbowhigh23
#5Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 1:40pm

Definitely see Elena. She might be going on vacation after the Tonys, though. She's such a unique Eva and worth seeing. Try to sit up close, too to catch her facial expressions - she's a great actress.

labwyfan Profile Photo
labwyfan
#6Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 2:18pm

I was pretty mesmerized by Elena's performance and pretty shocked she was snubbed by the Tony voters. Go see her. You won't regret it.

Updated On: 5/16/12 at 02:18 PM

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#7Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 2:47pm

I saw Christina deCicco and thought she was quite good...and could sing.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#8Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 2:53pm

When will Elena be on vacation? I will be seeing the show in late June, and I MUST see her.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Rainbowhigh23
#9Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 3:08pm

@elena_roger

"pronto tendre fecha de mis vacaciones pero no seran en Junio seguro. Abrazo"

Then "Querida gente, tengan una hermosa semana. Pronto confirmaré mis vacaciones. Gracias a todos por sus mensajes Amor, paz y luz per tutti"

The mention of June had me thinking end of June as Ricky is out first week of July. And peace, light and a hug.

Updated On: 5/16/12 at 03:08 PM

bwayphreak234
#10Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 3:37pm

Good thing I have not booked my tickets yet! I am fairly flexible with dates, so I will make sure that I see a performance where she is performing!

Rainbowhigh23
#11Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 3:47pm

Follow her on Twitter - she should announce it there first. I'm very curious to see Christina now, though!

bwayphreak234
#12Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 4:02pm

^ Just followed her! Hopefully she confirms dates soon!!!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#13Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 4:50pm

I saw it again for the third go round and the show and everyone involved have improved from the first time I saw it.

I think Elena is doing a great job...I also get a kick at all the spanish words being pronounced correctly. I wince every time a gringa playing Evita mispronounces Rio de la Plata, Florida, Corrientes, Nueve de Julio near the end of "Buenos Aires" or when a gringo playing "Che" mispronounces "Peron" as Pear-on. Ugh. THANK GOD they got some latin people up on that stage!

Rainbowhigh23
#14Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 5:30pm

^ WEPA!!!! A Spanish accent sounds very nice in the show.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 5:52pm

Saw the matinee and was very underwhelmed. Elena is fully committed, but her vocals and diction have not improved since that atrocious London cast recording. I couldn't understand 60% of her lyrics and neither could my friend. She does dance well and has good energy.

Ricky was so one note. He only had about two expressions and used the same hand movements in every damn song. He was nice to look at though, and sung well enough.

Cerveris was certainly the strongest of the leads.

Rachel Potter was out. The understudy had a lovely voice.

Updated On: 5/16/12 at 05:52 PM

CarlosAlberto
#16Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 5:57pm

@Rainbowhigh23 WEPA INDEED!!!

Elena totally blows me away with her rendition of BUENOS AIRES! Ricky, Michael and the whole company totally gave their 100% the last two times I've seen it.

Going back to see it again before Ricky goes on vacation. Evita (BFS)

sklabam
#17Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 7:59pm

I dig her.
Rocks my world.

She's an actress who sings - not a belter who belts.
I prefer that.

Loved EVITA!

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#18Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 8:10pm

Saw it this afternoon. It's a good production, but I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like the show. Ricky Martin is a horror, but I enjoyed Elena Roger's shriek-singing. If you listen to recordings of Eva Peron she used to stand on the balcony and scream.

Edit: Forgot to mention that aside from the songs I know I couldn't understand a damn thing Roger said.

I know you. I know you. I know you.
Updated On: 5/16/12 at 08:10 PM

CarlosAlberto
#19Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 8:53pm

Go figure. I had absolutely no problem understanding Elena Roger's diction or her singing and I felt she did a great job.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#20Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 9:37pm

Ricky is out the first weeks of July and August. I'm going to go back then. As hot and charismatic as he is, it's a nuance-free and literally one-note performance.

While Elena's voice is more raspy than I recall from the West End production, I still think she is a sensational actress and does the role proud.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#21Evita
Posted: 5/16/12 at 9:53pm

I hope to get a chance to see the Evita alternate. I've heard some wonderful things about her. As far as Miss Roger is concerned, I saw...I heard... I was underwhelmed. I thought Elena was channeling less Evita and more Edith Piaf (whose music I adore.) I'm not being a snob... I'm just being honest. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#22Evita
Posted: 5/17/12 at 2:49am

I haven't seen her alternate, but I recommend seeing anyone but her in it. She ruined the show for me, she can't hit the notes and her voice is not pleasant at all.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Rainbowhigh23
#23Evita
Posted: 5/17/12 at 10:47am

All you Elena detractors - your dreams will come true later this summer:

Elena Roger @Elena_Roger

"Friends, I won´t perform in Evita from July 12th til 19th and August 13th til 19th. Big hug"

On Sat August 11th I´ll perform the matinee instead the evening show. Sábado 11 de Agosto haré la matinee en vez del show de la noche.

But you will miss being able to sit in the audience with people like this (your loss)

Who Elena Roger Greets Backstage at Evita Updated On: 5/17/12 at 10:47 AM

DefyGravity777
#24Evita
Posted: 5/25/12 at 5:23pm

I saw Evita this past Monday. Couldn't understand a word Elena was shrieking. Neither could my 2 friends I was with. If I wouldn't have known the words from various other times I heard it I would have been lost. One of my friends though it was all in Spanish(that's how bad Elena's diction was)

Would love to see DeCicco or the other understudies and enjoy the show without having to cringe or rip the arms off my chair everytime Eva sang.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

Videos