pixeltracker

Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#1Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 1:20pm

On my way to work, I saw the marquee for Chaplin at the Barrymore theater being put up this morning.

Updated On: 6/8/12 at 01:20 PM

willep
#2Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 1:30pm

That was fast. And soon. Pity that the theatre will be empty for most of the summer.

PlayItAgain
#2Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 2:22pm

damn they were not waiting around man.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 2:54pm

There's something about that picture alone that makes me think it will be shown in 10 years with the caption "The marquee for CHAPLIN, the ill fated Broadway musical that was never meant to be"

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 2:57pm

...I got the same feeling.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

wicked1492 Profile Photo
wicked1492
#5Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 3:24pm

Wooof. That logo is lazy. Not a fan.

"These rabid fans...possess the acting talent to portray the hooker...Linda Eder..." -The New York Times

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#6Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 3:30pm

I like it. I especially like "Introducing Rob McClure as Chaplin".

I'm so excited to see him amaze Broadway. His performance in Limelight was outstanding. Whether anyone ends up liking the show or not, one thing is definitely certain, he's the perfect pick for Charlie Chaplin.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 3:55pm

Unless it's changed drastically since La Jolla that logo doesn't really fit the production at all.

And I'm never sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that you have to glance at a logo for an extra second to be sure of what it actually says.

PlayItAgain
#8Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 3:58pm

Don't have a photo, but they took the big ad spot that How To Succeed had near TKTS

Also, does anyone else think that in theory a Charlie Chaplin musical is in itself a total contradiction.... Updated On: 6/8/12 at 03:58 PM

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#9Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 4:39pm

I don't like the logo much either. Seems like there's a lot more they could have done with it. Still, I'm excited to see what it's like!

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#10Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 4:46pm

Seeing as Charlier Chaplin did not live his life silently (and made several sound films), no.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#11Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 5:24pm

From their Facebook fan page:

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 6/8/12 at 05:24 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 5:40pm

I thought the marquee looked like graphics from the 70s -- but I really like the ad!!!

Should any stories about Chaplin be silent?

(And I'm looking forward to it, too! Quite optimistic, actually!)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#13Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 6:05pm

Isn't this the 3rd or 4th attempt at a Chaplin musical? I know Anthony Newley tried and failed, and I have on my iPod the concept recording of "Little Tramp" which is... interesting. I would have to dig out Not Since Carrie, but I think there was another one somewhere along the way too.

Its too bad one hasn't worked yet, because he was truly an amazing man- a true giant of the business.

MusicMan93
#14Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 6:13pm

They just put up the marquee, there is still time for them to change it. I really like the billboard though.

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#15Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 8:19pm

LOVE the billboard!!

CATSNYrevival
#16Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 8:24pm

There's an 18 track demo of this version that's not too bad, but I would imagine that the show has changed a lot since they recorded it.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#17Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 8:45pm

What's the buzz?
Who else is coming in with it?
Brown? Collela? Orbach?

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#18Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 8:50pm

If you look closely at the marquee picture, there is a smaller version of the big ad. Perhaps this will be the window card.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

undercoveractor Profile Photo
undercoveractor
#19Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 8:53pm

I have high hopes that this show is a huge hit and surprised everybody! Charlie Chaplin was a complicated and fascinating genius whose life has the makings of a really great piece of theater.

Check out the book SUNNYSIDE by Glen David Gold.....an epic historical fiction novel. I really liked it.

dexter3
#20Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 10:41pm

Ok. Broadway is a commercial theater enterprise. On any given night, 50-70% of the audience is made up of tourists.

I just CAN'T see people coming into NYC and saying "I want to see that Charlie Chaplin Musical".

Truly, I hope this show is a hit, I hope it's well written and I'm sure it'll be wonderfully acted, but I just don't think it's going to be a commercial success, purely from the subject matter and the (lack of) potential draw to wide audiences.

TheatreKid3
#21Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 10:45pm

Is this the first musical to be in the Barrymore since COMPANY?

Proper Villain Profile Photo
Proper Villain
#22Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 10:50pm

Yellow... what an interesting choice for a man most of us identify with black & white silent pictures.

It's kind of hard to find something positive to say about it.

I like the navy blue they used.

Edit: And what's worse, the graphic designer (http://www.alextrochut.com/#/works) who did the illustration has some really amazing work. It doesn't sit alongside the portfolio either (except maybe the yellow BBC spot).

"Are we being attacked or entertained?" - MST3K My theatre poster/logo portfolio: http://www.listenterprises.com/
Updated On: 6/8/12 at 10:50 PM

CATSNYrevival
#23Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/8/12 at 11:55pm

^It sort of feels like a first draft after someone asked the designer to make a logo that included letters morphed into musical notes. It's been done before and way better.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#24Chaplin: The Musical Marquee is up!
Posted: 6/9/12 at 12:09am

Theater Kid - Patti and Mandy if that counts.