pixeltracker

Pippin previews start tomorrow- Page 7

Pippin previews start tomorrow

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#150Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/28/13 at 1:27am

Famebroadway2, where were you sitting when you took those pictures?

Anyone, what do you recommend out of the following?
1st row mezz side, midd of the row
5th row mezz center section
5th row mezz side 2nd pair off the aisle

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#151Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/28/13 at 1:56am

I was fifth row mezzanine, center tonight. The view was absolutely perfect.

I highly recommend sitting in the mezzanine for this one...any of those seats are great, broadway_show_fan. I just know there's a discount available on BroadwayBox.com, and the fifth row of the mezzanine is cheaper than the first row.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#152Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/28/13 at 2:19am

Whizzer mentioned that, compared to the video, this Pippin's plot is less clunky and streamlined. Can anyone talk about the changes? (I believe there was some discussion about which ending they used.) The video of course--as released--cuts out two scenes I think ARE in the Paulus version--the decapitated head scene and the duck scene/quick song, or are they? Would love to hear any other edits or changes.

Someone else mentioned the first ten minutes may be slow but the following 2 hours and 40 minutes were divine... Which makes me wonder how long it runs? The edited DVD is about 110 minutes. The "Fosse cut" of that DVD is about 2 hours and 12 minutes. Of course that production didn't have an intermission--but 2 hours and 50 mins seems kinda long for Pippin.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#153Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/28/13 at 4:34am

Eric, I wish you had said SPOILER! I'm seeing the show in two weeks, and I wish I didn't know the detail that you posted.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#154Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/28/13 at 6:08am

That comment doesn't give away too much. Relax.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RENTfanatic3388
#155Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/28/13 at 6:59am

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already -- will sitting under the overhang (tickets already secured) spoil any of the acrobatics?

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#156Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/28/13 at 7:53am

I mentioned this in another thread, but I felt like The Emperor's New Clothes watching this. It felt like bad community theatre. Everything about it from top to bottom felt amateur, except the cast who to their credit are all working very hard. Patina Miller in particular is magnificent and I hope she's recognized for her performance. But I went in expecting to be wowed and to leave understanding all the praise this show has received and I left bewildered. The book is as inept and confusing as ever, but this time it's dolled up with acrobatics, both literal and vocal, and outfitted with every distraction you can think of to try to sell you on the idea that this show is more than what it actually is, mediocre shlock.

Andrea Martin was a standout, but a Tony nomination? She's onstage for like...10 minutes. If that. Her number is amazing and she's one of my favorites to see onstage, but again. Bewildered. Everything about the show left me more than a little confused as to why it's eliciting such a reaction from others. I'd say I missed something, but what's there to miss? Yikes. Judging by the reviews out of town and the audience reaction, I'm sure this will be a hit, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

As far as the seats, I sat in the mezz slightly on the left and the view was great. I recommend the mezz for this show because of all the acrobatics and stunts, we had a great view. Though there was some kind of school group there last night that talked and yapped all through the show, took pictures, etc. I believe security and the house manager had to attempt to deal with them but to no avail, everyone around us was complaining about them and shushing them but nothing could get these brats to shut up and put their iPhones away. Yay, live theatre.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy in this thread of raves, but I really genuinely am baffled by what I saw last night.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#157Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/28/13 at 8:19am

wickedrocks - yeah, I'm trying to use the discount but can't decide if i feel that the 1st row mezz justifies paying an extra $16 per ticket, especially when it's mid-row of the side section (seats 13-15) and so far off center. Would you miss anything that far over?

I usually try to get seats on the aisle of the side sections because I'm very short and have trouble seeing over heads and those seats offer a pretty unobstructed view, generally, but there's poor aisle-seat availability and center E seems really nice based on what everyone has said. I'll probably go with that.

Thanks!

dave1606
#158Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/28/13 at 10:01am

Eric, the decapitated head and the Duck scene/song are both in the show. (The duck scene in particular has been changed from Boston as well.)

It is a bit lengthy. I saw the second preview and the show definitely ran a bit longer due to applause, and a longer intermission but I imagine that once it opens it will run around 2:40 when they have tightened it a bit.

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#159Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/28/13 at 3:38pm

Wow, just wow!

Saw the show last night and was a little peeved that I had to pay full price for my orchestra ticket, but what can you do. If you want to see a hot-show you've got to pay the price.

Sat down still upset. Mind you I don't really care for this show, but I bought a ticket because I couldn't get one to Matilda and it was the closest theater where I could buy a ticket to use the restroom.

From the moment the curtain down Patina Miller had me in the palm of her hand. She gave such a tremendously amazing performance. Who knew she could dance. She was like a female Ben Vereen, Bob Fosse and Gregory Hines all in one. Andrea Martin received applause in the opening and again when she came out for her big number. She also received the standing ovation which is the first ever during-the-show standing ovation that I have ever seen.
***Spoiler alert**** I loved the use of stability balls in this scene it brought a different feel to it. It also allowed me to see Bertha as a more hip and energetic woman, which is how she seems to have been written in the first place. Also the stunts which Andrea pulls off while singing, wow, just wow!

The acrobatics in this show are just breathtaking. It was hard for me to know where to look there were so many amazing stunts and tricks being done.

All in all I had a great time watching the show last night and I totally forgot about the hole in my pocket after buying my ticket. This cast made me love Pippin, which is a very hard thing. I am not easily moved. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to have a great night full of laughter and excitement.

It also didn't hurt that there was a hunky chorus guy who was doing a lot of the acrobatics. (I'm looking at you Mr. Devil Horns).

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#160Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/28/13 at 4:36pm

Interesting observation about the way Berthe is written, TheLadyOfTheWood! You're very right, but because of Irene Ryan's "type," the role has typically been played quasi-Betty White before Betty White was "you know, Betty White type." A post-Golden Girls sassy elderly biddy who surprises you with how lively her persona is.

Meanwhile, Andrea Martin brings "No Time At All" a whole new meaning and interpretation with the act, one which shows the changing perspectives on age, capability and senior life in the past forty years. "You think sixties is old?" Martin's Berthe seems to ask. "Well, could 'old' do THIS?"

EDIT: I had originally typed Irene Adler instead of Irene Ryan- that's what I get for watching the BBC while typing structural analysis! Updated On: 4/6/13 at 04:36 PM

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#161Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 3/30/13 at 9:13am

Saw the show last night and agree with everyone on this remarkable production. Perfectly cast (seems so rare these days), perfectly staged, appropriately updated without sacrificing the classic elements. Just as it says on the tin - magic.
Patina - who knew? Rachel Bay Jones may have been my favorite. But then Andrea Martin, of couse.
Also enjoyed hearing a bit of "Marking Time" as incidental music during Act II.
Sat in the orchestra but kept wishing I was in the mezz. I guess I'll have to go back!

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#162Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 11:09am

Question about tickets: Clearly the show is selling well already and will likely win Best Revival. I am coming to NYC at the end of July – by when do you think I should get tickets by? Also, any chance that there will continue to be discounts for this through the summer or no? Obviously, getting the tickets as early as possible is best, but any guesses on when the latest I should buy by (for somewhat good seats)?

FindingNamo
#163Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 11:43am

Try to buy before June 32.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#164Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 12:10pm

Just a heads-up for ticket buyers: the Broadwaybox and Playbill discount codes are NO LONGER being accepted for any weekend performances. Found that out the hard way on Sunday, and paid full price for May tickets.

Ed_Mottershead
#165Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 12:32pm

Saw the show last Saturday matinee and agree with all the kudos it's received -- for the first act. I fear, however, that the fundamental flaws in the book overtook the production in Act Two. I've never been an aficiando of Pippin (saw the original) and Saturday's performance did nothing the change my opinion that the success of the show was a case mind over matter -- stripped of a super production, it just lies there. But the First Act was absolute theatrical heaven thanks to the sterling performances of all involved. Andrea got a standing ovation after her number, mid-show, and the balancing act at the top of Act Two left everyone breathless. BTW, I don't think the brevity of Andrea's part will play into Tony consideration. Marilyn Cooper had ten minutes on stage in Woman of the Year and won for best supporting actress in a musical.

BroadwayEd
Updated On: 4/2/13 at 12:32 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#166Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 2:31pm

darguek, don't mean to be "that guy," but I think you meant Irene Ryan, not Irene Adler - maybe you had Sherlock Holmes on your mind - ironically, Conan Doyle's Irene Adler character is the antithesis of the "Betty White" type you were describing.

Updated On: 4/2/13 at 02:31 PM

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#167Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 2:35pm

"BTW, I don't think the brevity of Andrea's part will play into Tony consideration. Marilyn Cooper had ten minutes on stage in Woman of the Year and won for best supporting actress in a musical."

Not to mention that Irene Ryan was nominated as supporting actress, losing to Patricia Elliot in "A Little Night Music".

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#168Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 2:38pm

Andrea Martin is getting an audience response like I've never seen before, in over 37 years of attending Broadway shows. Previews have only been running for about two weeks, and there's already tons of buzz about her. I can't fathom her not winning her 2nd Tony for this.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#169Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 6:31pm

Seeing it tonight and have a seat in the mezz. Looking forward to it.

Just give the world Love.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#170Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 7:41pm

Having been charmed with it in Boston, I'm so glad to see Pippin being so enjoyed by NY! I wish I knew when I was going to get a chance to see it again!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#171Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 8:20pm

Saw it. Loved it. But structurally, it is an odd show. All the best songs are shoved into Act One. Act Two feels weaker by comparison. Still, great production. Get tickets while you can.

AwesomeDanny
#172Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 8:45pm

I did rush on Saturday during my brief trip to New York, and I was very glad I did. This production is fantastic, and should not be missed. The circus concept really ties the show together wonderfully, and Patina Miller is a fantastic leading player. Some of the descriptions I read on here (especially about Andrea Martin's number involving acrobatics) made me nervous, but I was really surprised by how perfectly everything worked! I had a few minor problems, though, and since what worked so well has been discussed to death here, I thought I'd focus on these.

First, Charlotte D'amboise, who was a wonderful dancer and actress, didn't really have the vocal stamina for her song. It is a very difficult song to sing, and she is not a singer first. She was literally gasping for air in every available pause.

Also, I still don't like the new ending with Theo. The original ending, while maybe a little awkward way to end a show, really made a strong, memorable statement that made you leave the theatre thinking. The new ending finishes the show on a bigger note that almost undermines what has happened in the show. It's really disheartening to think that Theo hasn't learned anything from Pippin, and the original ending does not lack in heart.

The big dance sequence following "With You" was really tame. I've seen productions of Pippin go much further with this scene, and I really believe that it works better if the audience becomes uncomfortable. But, of course, the acrobatics were stunning to watch.

That said, the rest of this show is absolutely brilliant! It was particularly exciting because at the performance I attended, it was clear that everyone in the audience was so happy that Pippin is back on Broadway in a first-rate production. There was huge applause when the lights lowered and for all the entrances, and there were long, well-deserved ovations after every number. The audience provided so much energy that the performers were able to give right back, which really made the show special.

EricMontreal22
#173Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 8:46pm

I wonder if that was (one of) the reason(s) it was done in one act originally?

EricMontreal22
#174Pippin previews start tomorrow
Posted: 4/2/13 at 8:49pm

"Mind you I don't really care for this show, but I bought a ticket because I couldn't get one to Matilda and it was the closest theater where I could buy a ticket to use the restroom."

Has got to be one of the more interesting reasons I've heard for buying a ticket to a show, on this forum.