pixeltracker

Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?

Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/11/13 at 11:06pm

I'm listening to the cast recording and it doesn't seem to capture the energy of the show. Magic To Do and Morning Glow sound as flat as cardboard. Doesn't come close to the sound in the theatre.

What are people's reactions?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/11/13 at 11:58pm

It's terribly disappointing. I'm especially not a fan of the way "Spread a Little Sunshine" and the Finale fade out instead of having been recorded they way they are performed on stage.

Visceral_Fella
#2Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 12:30am

I think that the vocal performances themselves are fantastic especially Patina's parts.

hanabana
#3Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 12:38am

I have not seen the show yet so I cannot comment on the comparison with the actual live show. However, I have listened to two songs from the recording, one with Matthew James Thomas and one with Patina Miller, and I agree that the vocal performances are great! Seems very promising.
On a side note, I won't get to see the show till a few months later. Would listening to the cast recording before seeing the show take anything away from the experience? I have the recording and it's really hard to resist listening to it, haha...

gchris11
#4Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 4:54am

I don't think it will. I have listened to the original cast recording over 2000 times. Wore out the vinyl then wore out the tape. This version is a fresh new look on the old. The timing on some of the songs maybe faster or slower in the theater than on the new CD, but I don't think it will matter.

Listen and enjoy!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 9:28am

I actually LOVE the recording. I think it's one of the best to be made (at least that I own) in quite some time.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#6Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 9:33am

I'm with Dramamamma. Ghostlight's sound quality is often spotty (not complaining, I love the label!) but I found Pippin to really "pop". It sounds clean and clear to my ears.

....but the world goes 'round

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#7Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 12:18pm

Upon more listens I agree that the lead vocals are crisp and clear and gorgeous. Everyone sounds wonderful. I think the ensemble sounds muted as well as some of the orchestrations.

Overall, I like the recording. However, if you watch the show teaser clips online Morning Glow sounds fuller and so does Magic To Do. They seemed to have more punch live.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Rainbowhigh23
#8Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 12:27pm

I was a bit disappointed with No Time At All - Andrea's vocals are wonderful but the part that we sang in the church sounds very flat. I thought it would sound as good as the international version of Do You Hear the People sing when the many companies all sang together and the effect was breathtaking. Perhaps they can do a remix where that chorus part where we all sang really comes out strong.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#9Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 12:30pm

I'm wondering how many of you are listening to MP3s, which are compressed and lose quality, on crappy sound systems with bad speakers or ear buds and terrible midrange frequencies.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#10Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 1:44pm

Besty, I have the CD and Im listening to it on my old school stereo with speakers (I despise that docking crap).

dave1606
#11Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 2:30pm

I actually really like the sound. The orchestrations sound rich, and the vocals are amazing. Everyone sounds better on here. From Matt to Patina.

The only thing I don't like is the strange reverb that a lot of recent recordings have added. I am not a fan of this.

I also wish they had added the corner of sky reprise (that Matt sings)that I really liked in the show.

I also have no use for Karaoke tracks so i wish they had just included more music than that.

Small complaints from me, but overall I think it sounds great.

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#12Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 3:53pm

Really love that they included the karaoke tracks, but I am confused why they're not of the songs I'd actually like to sing along to (except Simple Joys, I suppose). I wish more shows would release these - it's so fun to hear the orchestra(tion) in the spotlight!

Movidude742 Profile Photo
Movidude742
#13Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 4:31pm

Rainbow High, at first I agreed with you about No Time At All, but I think they were sort of clever with that track. The first time you hear us it is very subdued but it gets brought out more with each refrain.

Still thrilled to have been a part of that

hanabana
#14Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 4:40pm

Thanks gchris, I am off to listen to it!

And I agree with greensgreens, I also love that they have karaoke tracks! I haven't listened to them yet, but I thought it was a great thing to have on a cast recording. I wish every single cast recording could do the same thing, pick out a couple of songs and have karaoke tracks for them. It beats playing the score on the piano myself and try to sing (not that it's not fun, but it's also really difficult)!

AZBroadway_theatre Profile Photo
AZBroadway_theatre
#15Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 5:48pm

I too thought that the cast recording didn't do justice to the energy and fullness that the actual show captured. This is a prime example of the debate whether or not to listen to cast recordings before you see a show. Often times the recordings do not do the show justice and people may decide to not go and they end up missing a spectacular show.

hanabana
#16Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 8:28pm

That's true, a cast recording can definitely change people's minds about seeing a show or not. But that won't be the case here with me, I have no doubt that Pippin will be marvelous when I see it and definitely won't miss it!
It is a shame though that sometimes a cast recording can fail to deliver the same amount of energy in the theatre, especially when it is with shows that radiate so much energy live. What I have heard from the Pippin cast recording sounds great though. (But of course, I have yet to see the show)

East Village Profile Photo
East Village
#17Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/12/13 at 11:48pm

I've never cared for the sound on any Ghostlight recording. I don't know if it's their soundboard, studio, etc.

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#18Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/13/13 at 12:14am

Hm. I loved "Morning Glow". Especially how MJT sings "we can make a new day bright" higher instead of the original where it's sung straight.

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

tdl83
#19Pippin Cast Recording-sounding flat?
Posted: 7/13/13 at 12:29am

totally agree....flat and not well produced

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#20Whats the diff between Itunes Mp3 and HD?
Posted: 7/13/13 at 4:53am

Whats the diff between Itunes Mp3 and HD?

Speaking of MP3s, when I was searching to download the Kinky Boots recording I came across a website which was offering an HD download. What's the story on that? Will it play through iTunes, iPhone, iPad? Is it a better quality? Is it CD Quality?
HD Original Broadway Cast Recording

Up In One

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#21Whats the diff between Itunes Mp3 and HD?
Posted: 7/13/13 at 4:56pm

I don't think it sounds flat but there seems to be a lack of fullness/bass. Might just be what I am listening to it on. I do love how our vocals were used on "No Time at All" Sounds imcredilble. Get goosebumps just knowing my voice is in with all of the people that participated that day.

Just give the world Love.

Liza's Headband
#22Whats the diff between Itunes Mp3 and HD?
Posted: 7/13/13 at 5:29pm

Up in One, you have to choose the "Format" you want first. It's a drop down menu toward the right side of the page near the top. The WAV is the highest quality file you could have, so I obviously recommend WAV. It will play perfectly fine in iTunes.

Not sure if that site is legit or even legal, as I have never heard of it, so purchase at your own risk...

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#23Whats the diff between Itunes Mp3 and HD?
Posted: 7/13/13 at 6:13pm

If you're listening on speakers, then yeah it probably is flat. Most things will be flat, honestly - I don't know any non-entertainment computers whose speakers can capture contemporary cast recordings . There's a lot going on and it all gets slushed together.

I have a Sennheiser 280 hd pro headset and the orchestra sounds magnificent, as do the performances. It's a wonderful cast recording.