A New Cinderella

JohnyBroadway
#175A New Cinderella
Posted: 1/22/14 at 3:43pm

I haven't read anywhere that the tour is going to be scaled back. Are you friends with Robyn Goodman? What would need to be scaled back for this production?

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#176A New Cinderella
Posted: 1/22/14 at 4:08pm

The show is already pretty simple technical (set) wise, how could it be "scaled back"...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#177A New Cinderella
Posted: 1/22/14 at 4:15pm

Just because the current production is tourable as it is does not mean that it will be toured as it is now up onstage at the Broadway Theatre. Producers recently have been cutting corners on tour sets wherever possible, and it is really starting to show in the overall quality of touring shows. Off the top of my head, I could see the amount of gliding trees/castle arches being sliced by at least half, Cinderella's house being simplified to just a couple units, and the castle staircase being modified. Those are just my predictions. I doubt that what we will see on the road will be identical to the whimsical enchanted forest on Broadway right now.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

NYCBound91
#178A New Cinderella
Posted: 1/22/14 at 9:35pm

disneybroadwayfan22- it's definitely still worth it to see the Broadway production even if you're disappointed about missing Laura and Santino. I'm sure Carly will be fine, but if you really don't want to see her in the role, remember that next week is a filler week before she and Fran come in, so you could go then and see the understudies, who are fantastic and will definitely do the material justice. I'm assuming Alessa Neeck and Jessica Hershberg will be alternating as Ella that week.

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#179A New Cinderella
Posted: 1/22/14 at 9:56pm

NYCBound91- According to Broadway Understudies, Alessa Neeck will be on for the entire filler week, as well as Feb 5 (Matinee), Feb 8 (Evening), Feb 15 (Evening), and Feb 16 (Matinee). I'm sure Jessica will go on for some of the other performances that Carly is scheduled to miss. Not sure if Jill Abramovitz and Linda Mugleston will be alternating the role of Madame during the filler week or if just one will play the role, but both are terrific.

bwayphreak234
#180A New Cinderella
Posted: 1/22/14 at 11:03pm

I would LOVE to see Linda Mugleston as Madame. I saw her as Marie, and she was really, really good.

RW3
bwayphreak234
#182A New Cinderella
Posted: 1/30/14 at 7:47pm

She looks just like Laura.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#183A New Cinderella
Posted: 1/30/14 at 8:15pm

At about 1:49:43- Stephan Kocis, one of the show’s producers talks about it in this interview- “It may be a little bit reimagined- Going out on the road with a show of this size is not very economical, so some small changes will be made.”
-this would seem to imply that some kind of scaling back will be done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kchsyac3HfA

Darreyl with an L!

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#184A New Cinderella
Posted: 1/30/14 at 11:28pm

Am I the only one who thinks that most tours nowadays are just starting to look...super, super cheap? This set seems pretty tourable to me, scaling it back slightly is okay...but I feel like they're going to pretty much make it as flat as possible.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#185A New Cinderella
Posted: 1/31/14 at 6:23am

Did anyone else see the video on Laura's princess diaries of Carl Rae dancing on broadway.com? She seemed like a great dancer....

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#186A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/1/14 at 10:28am

There will never be another Laura as Ella...but Carly is looking rather hopeful than I originally thought. Anyone bought tix?

BTS for promo Updated On: 2/1/14 at 10:28 AM

Visceral_Fella
#187A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/1/14 at 3:21pm

You know, I'm going to go and give her a fair shot. That video really kind of sold me. She deserves a chance.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#188A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/2/14 at 3:33pm

I think that both Fran and Carly will do very well in thier roles.

SamIAm2
#189A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/3/14 at 6:23pm

Carly comes across really well in this NYT feature, although I thought that the tone of the article seemed to be one of restrained skepticism.
Carly's Cinderella (NYT)

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#190A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/3/14 at 9:51pm

I'm planning on going to Carly and Fran's first, and I couldn't be more excited. I think Carly will do a wonderful job, and every video or interview I've seen or read of her just makes me more excited and happy for her.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

ilikebroadwaythings1
#191A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/4/14 at 1:08am

ah please let us know how it is!! so very jealous of you!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#192A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/4/14 at 9:01am

I hope she does really well.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#193A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/4/14 at 9:29am

I wouldn't be surprised if tonight's performance is a bit rough around the edges, given that three new principals (Fran Drescher and Joe Carrol as Topher in addition to CRJ) are going on tonight for the first time. So this will be their first audience, and probably one of the first full run throughs with the entire cast. But I think and hopethings will smooth out over the next couple of weeks and they go to have a very successful run. Break a oleg, Carly, Fran and Joe!

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

ILuv2shop531
#194A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/4/14 at 10:00am

Joe actually started performances a week ago when Stephanie & Todd started. He is still is new in the role but could be a semi bit more comfortable then everyone else.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#195A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/4/14 at 10:04am

That's correct. What I meant to say was that they are going on together for the first time tonight.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#196A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/4/14 at 10:10am

From the new BWW interview/article with Fran, it sounds like they've had a couple of days to fit in some full runs with the cast/orchestra.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#197A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/4/14 at 9:56pm

Any updates?

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#198A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/4/14 at 10:08pm

Quick update for now, but she was delightful. Carly has an adorable presence with a spark of spunk that was refreshing. Her vocals are sweet, warm, and flowed beautifully. Carly is one of the best rehearsed replacements I've seen - nailed the dress transformation and did a wonderful job with the choreography.

Fran was delicious. Her gowns and wig were redone to fit Fran's taste - lepoard spots, mink coat wrap. Fran sexes up the role, and gives Sebastian some tongue and cheek flirting.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#199A New Cinderella
Posted: 2/4/14 at 10:18pm

Makes sense why Fran hasn't been in costume for any promos.