pixeltracker

Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!

Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!

April Saul
#1Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 12:13am

And for making me laugh my butt off while dancing in my seat all through Avenue Q and Book of Mormon! Does this mean I have to go see Frozen?

Fosse76
#2Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 12:17am

And how undeserved it was. U2 should've won.

FindingNamo
#2Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 12:22am

No, U2 should not have won. That totally swiped that guitar line from Bronski Beat's "Smalltown Boy." Note for note.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

MKunkel Profile Photo
MKunkel
#3Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 12:23am

Much congrats to him! He is also the youngest to win the award and he has achieved them all in the shortest amount of time! Only ten years to get every award!

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#4Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 12:26am

An incredible accomplishment.

Congratulations!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#5Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 12:28am

My favorite was the Pharrell song, "Happy". Will buy his cd this week.

Just give the world Love.

FindingNamo
#6Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 12:29am

Also, we must send them our gratitude for being intentionally funny in their speech.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#7Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 12:43am

Good for him! He's given every young writer hope in succeeding.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#8Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 12:45am

It's a wonderful thing. To have accomplished all that in 10 short years--from 2004 to 2014,

And their speech was WONDERFUL.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#9Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 12:52am

Does the list of 12 include those who've won special awards (i.e non-competitive awards)? Are they part of the "official list"? I've always wondered that.

Updated On: 3/3/14 at 12:52 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#10Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 1:15am

No, they're not. The 12 have all won in competitive categories, not honorary.

Here are the 12:

Richard Rodgers
Helen Hayes
Rita Moreno
John Gielgud
Audrey Hepburn
Marvin Hamlisch
Jonathan Tunick
Mel Brooks
Mike Nichols
Whoopi Goldberg
Scott Rudin
... and Robert Lopez

LINK

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

A Director
#11Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 1:36am

Congrats for what? It's a so-so song badly sung. The Moon Song should have won.

AwesomeDanny
#12Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 2:31am

I find it strange that we live in a world where Bobby Lopez has EGOT-ed, while Stephen Sondheim has not. I am happy that the song "Let It Go" won tonight, but I do wish that his Tonys belonged to Tesori/Kushner and Kander/Ebb.

broadwayfever
#13Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 4:03am

Congrats to Robert Lopez and his wife.

Let it Go sequence with Idina Menzel has now reached over 118 Million views on Youtube, with another 87 Miilion for Demi's version.

I'm sure neither Robert or his wife ever thought their song would be such a huge hit.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 5:00am

You can't blame him for having an honor BESTOWED upon him, for christ's sake. If you can't just be happy for someone else's success, I'm sorry for you.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

FindingNamo
#15Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 11:34am

How dare he? How very dares Robert Lopez to snatch EGOT directly from Sondheim's hand?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#16Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 11:42am

Sondheim better write something for TV fast, and it better be good. I'm sure he's so completely pissed at Lopez right now.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

AwesomeDanny
#17Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 6:43pm

Whoa, I want to be clear that I wasn't "blaming him" for anything. I was merely commenting on the strange nature of these honors. I do think that he is a very talented writer.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#18Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 7:40pm

I'd still rather be Sondheim. Lopez seems to like writing about and working with Clitoris (clitori?). Sondheim has a PGOT and his by the look of his hot young squeeze Sondheim's P probably has GOT a lot of recognition recently so he has the last laugh anyway!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#19Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 10:44pm

I still don't understand how it's strange that Bobby Lopez got the EGOT before Stephen Sondheim. It's a measure of success in all 4 mediums. Sondheim doesn't work in TV. He doesn't magically deserve an honor he hasn't earned just because he's more talented.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

binau Profile Photo
binau
#20Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 11:30pm

I do agree with you. Sondheim has more Tony awards and more Pulitzer prizes than Lopez because that is exactly where his strength is - theatre.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#21Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/3/14 at 11:44pm

Sondheim has a hot young squeeze? When did this happen?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#22Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/4/14 at 12:01am

You can see them together on the 2010 Birthday concert DVD. Searching google images I THINK I recall this to be him:

http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/4062033-david-ehrenstein-presents-god-and-his-boyfriend-jeff

No joke but I had a random dream that Sondheim was massaging my naked body the other night. Can I be next in line? I'd let him teach me to Whistle, give me an Epiphany, wrap me in chains while I shout No More then he replies There is No Other Way and shows me his Black Dragon. For the climax I'd let him Send in the Co...

Updated On: 3/4/14 at 12:01 AM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#23Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/4/14 at 12:00pm

No joke but I had a random dream that Sondheim was massaging my naked body the other night.

Dude, really? You made me throw up in my mouth a little.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#24Wow, congrats to Robert Lopez for becoming the 12th EGOT winner tonight!!!
Posted: 3/4/14 at 12:03pm

I think Arthur Laurents was there too, and Corine.

Videos