Bad Theater Behavior

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#1025Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/18/19 at 11:49pm

Last week at “The Young Man From Atlanta” at Signature Theatre, an older man and woman got up from their front row seats during the opening scene and said in full voice “We are leaving because we cannot hear anything!” Other audience members then said for them to be quiet at which point the man then yelled at actor Aidan Quinn that he needs to learn to speak louder!! (I will add that the old man was not using one of Signature’s hearing devices, and I was in row H and could hear Quinn fine.) before finally making their slow exit up the stairs and out of the theatre. I have never witnessed anything like that before! How entitled must you be to think that yelling at an actor onstage is acceptable behavior?

It was a very quiet scene and Aidan was in the middle of an emotional monologue. He was visibly upset by what happened and had to call for a line.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Updated On: 11/18/19 at 11:49 PM

magictodo123
#1026Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/19/19 at 8:25am

Referencing a comment above---I HATE when people say "I paid -x- amount of money for my ticket, I'm entitled to record/take photos". Um, No. Incorrect. I don't care if you paid to sit front row at Hadestown, that does NOT ever entitle you to record a show. 

But I also have a question regarding this topic...I know in Six they say you can record the end of the show, but is this also allowed at Moulin Rouge!? I've seen SO MANY videos from that show that it makes me wonder if you're told you can film the show or if the audience just doesn't care at all that it's 100% against theater rules to record a show....

Mark Waltz Profile Photo
Mark Waltz
#1027Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/19/19 at 10:16am

I've been reading this thread on and off for years, and having seen my share of bad behavior at the theater over the years, decided after an experience this past Friday to finally post one I had to deal with sitting right next to me, and earlier in the performance of "Greater Clements". The lengthy show is three acts with two 10 minute intermissions, and the third act seems endless. A middle aged man behind me had licorice in a very thick plastic bag which he kept rattling all throughout the first act. I was able to catch a glimpse of it during the first intermission.

The young woman next to me seemed to have no clue about what "personal space" is, flicking her coat onto my lap throughout the second act, and during the intermission, bumping into me on several occasions without even acknowledging my presence. I politely just said, "Excuse me" when she bumped into me the third time. I wouldn't have bothered writing about this as I deal with such things all the time, but when she pulled out a paper bag and began to crunch on fried chicken (which stunk up the whole aisle I'm sure), I was aghast. She was trying to crunch and munch quietly, but sorry, it did not work. As the play is very intimate and every sound can be heard, I kept my cool, but I really wanted to tell her off.

I had read an article where Harvey Fierstein, I believe, once witnessed a family pass a whole chicken back and forth in the front row, but I never thought that I would encounter this in the very same theater where Patti No Phone once grabbed somebody's device when she saw them texting. I make a point of pulling out the battery from my phone just as extra precaution when I see Patti on stage and nearly lost the battery when I sat in the front row at "War Paint" out of fear that my phone might accidentally go on.     

One Grecian Ern
Updated On: 11/19/19 at 10:16 AM

Megsamegatron Profile Photo
Megsamegatron
#1028Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/19/19 at 11:27am

magictodo123 said: "But I also have a question regarding this topic...I know in Six they say you can record the end of the show, but is this also allowed at Moulin Rouge!? I've seen SO MANY videos from that show that it makes me wonder if you're told you can film the show or if the audience just doesn't care at all that it's 100% against theater rules to record a show...."

There is a handout in the Playbill for Moulin Rouge saying you can record the finale ONLY. Unfortunately, I've seen a number of videos that are not the finale. 

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#1029Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/19/19 at 4:22pm

Moulin Rouge also encouraged you to take pictures and video before the show starts.   There are actors already on stage when they open the house.

Kea4
#1030Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/19/19 at 4:37pm

OKBroadwayFan said: "Moulin Rouge also encouraged you to take pictures and video before the show starts. There are actors already on stage when they open the house."

When I saw MR in October, this was NOT true. The actors came out on stage maybe 15 minutes before the show started (not when the house was opened). You were allowed to take pictures before the actors came out but not after. The ushers kept telling people to stop taking pictures. 

dreamz
#1031Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/19/19 at 6:07pm

That has been taken out. It is not permitted to record any part of the show. Has been out for sometime now.

dreamz
#1032Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/19/19 at 6:15pm

Whats worse than that is how people just leave all their trash on the floor. I can understand leaving some trash ( playbills, cups, candy wrappers) but when you stick gum on the seats or the rug. Spills nuts , chips, pretzels, M&M's and just leaving it in here for people to step all over it. Would you do that at home? Is it really that hard to pick up?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1033Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/20/19 at 9:09am

dreamz said: "Whats worse than that is how people just leave all their trash on the floor. I can understand leaving some trash ( playbills, cups, candy wrappers) but when you stick gum on the seats or the rug. Spills nuts , chips, pretzels, M&M's and just leaving it in here for people to step all over it. Would you do that at home? Is it really that hard to pick up?"

Apparently, yes. These are likely the same people who blithely toss their Big Mac wrappers, Big Gulp cups, and cigarette butts out the window of their cars.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Olivia11
#1034Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/20/19 at 9:25am

Why is it ever ok to leave trash behind? You brought it in, so you are certainly capable of carrying it to a trash can after the show.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#1035Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/20/19 at 9:39am

magictodo123 said: "Referencing a comment above---I HATE when people say "I paid -x- amount of money for my ticket, I'm entitled to record/take photos". Um, No. Incorrect. I don't care if you paid to sit front row at Hadestown, that does NOT ever entitle you to record a show.

But I also have a question regarding this topic...I know in Six they say you can record the end of the show, but is this also allowed at Moulin Rouge!? I've seen SO MANY videos from that show that it makes me wonder if you're told you can film the show or if the audience just doesn't care at all that it's 100% against theater rules to record a show....
"

When I saw Moulin Rouge! back in August, an usher came and yelled at a woman sitting next to me filming the finale, so I don’t think it’s permitted.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1036Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/20/19 at 10:17am

Olivia11 said: "Why is it ever ok to leave trash behind? You brought it in, so you are certainly capable of carrying it to a trash can after the show."

I agree completely. I don't understand why it's so unreasonable to expect people to carry out the things they carried in. It's the same on planes and in movie theaters.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

magictodo123
#1037Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/21/19 at 6:31am

dreamz said: "Whats worse than that is how people just leave all their trash on the floor. I can understand leaving some trash ( playbills, cups, candy wrappers) but when you stick gum on the seats or the rug. Spills nuts , chips, pretzels, M&M's and just leaving it in here for people to step all over it. Would you do that at home? Is it really that hard to pick up?

People should also keep in mind that the ushers who are there through the end of the night...this isn't true of Broadway theaters, as I've ushered there and haven't had to do this, but in some theaters the ushers stay and pick up the garbage. I can't tell you how often I'd come home from working at Shakespeare in the Park with my hands smelling like beer because people left cups-or in some cases, almost FULL-cups of beer behind. Why would you pay so much for concessions to not even finish it or leave it behind? I would think if you could pay so much for a show, you'd have manners to make sure you didn't leave anything behind...or if you did, that you picked up after yourself before leaving. 

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#1038Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/21/19 at 10:39am

dreamz said: "Whats worse than that is how people just leave all their trash on the floor. I can understand leaving some trash ( playbills, cups, candy wrappers) but when you stick gum on the seats or the rug. Spills nuts , chips, pretzels, M&M's and just leaving it in here for people to step all over it. Would you do that at home? Is it really that hard to pick up?

"

This was a huge problem when I saw Mean Girls this past January.  It was bad enough having people getting up to leave multiple times. But, I decided to not be in a hurry to leave the theater after the show since I would get stuck in the crowd walking out. When I got up to get myself ready to leave, there was so much trash on the floor that were from food. I couldn't believe it. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

ArtMan
#1039Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/22/19 at 12:46am

Here is something good in a bad behavior thread.  Wicked is in town in my city for the next two weeks.  I switched my evening performance to the matinee on Thursday (21).  When I got to the theater there were multiple school buses.  My friend who ushers at the theater told me there were 1400 (of 3000 seats) school kids. Most very young.  I was not happy, thinking they would talk, text, etc.  There was not a peep other than laughter out of those kids (at least the kids around me).  How well behaved they were.  Since this is a bad behavior thread, I could not believe the number of adults, at least 50, who were held at the door, since they arrived late.  All of them walking and talking, to find their seats, not caring they were disturbing others including the school kids who were able to get to the theater on time.

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#1040Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/22/19 at 1:26pm

Last night at Evita there were probably 5 - 10 people around me in the balcony being disruptive.  There were the usual loud talkers after songs, someone who took too long to silence her phone after it rang (and then kept it out for a long period of time), people in the front of the balcony filming, and a texter.  A new one for me was the woman in front of me (guessing 50s/60s ish) who pulled up the Wikipedia page for the show and was reading it in between checking Facebook.  Thankfully, she did not return for the second act.  No ushers in sight to try to flag down.

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

gibsons2
#1041Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/22/19 at 2:13pm

The latest happened to me at the Betrayal play. There was a couple sitting next to me and the woman was eating peanuts out of a ziplock bag. Which is fine, as long as you aren't severely allergic. The peanuts dust was up my nose and I was thinking that if I was a person with a nut allergies I wouldn't be able to stay and watch the play. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1042Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/22/19 at 2:56pm

Except it's a myth that you can be contaminated with an airborne peanut essence.  (My son is highly allergic, trust me, I know.)  He wouldn't LIKE the smell, but that's besides the point.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

irishgator1
#1043Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/22/19 at 3:03pm

dramamama611 said: "Except it's a myth that you can be contaminated with an airborne peanut essence. (My son is highly allergic, trust me, I know.) He wouldn't LIKE the smell, but that's besides the point."

My son is also very allergic to peanuts and treenuts and it was my understanding that some airborne reactions are possible. 

From the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology: 

“Still, food particles containing peanut proteins can become airborne during the grinding or pulverization of peanuts, and inhaling peanut protein in this type of situation could cause an allergic reaction. In addition, odors may cause conditioned physical responses, such as anxiety, a skin rash or a change in blood pressure.”

Now it is unlikely someone could go into anaphylactic shock inhaling peanut dust, but obviously not all reactions take it to the nuclear level of anaphylaxis. 

Updated On: 11/22/19 at 03:03 PM

sparksatmidnight
#1044Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/23/19 at 2:16am

I highly doubt that anyone in a theatre would be grinding or pulverizing peanuts, because that would warrant it's own thread (and probably NYT article)

Broadway Buddy
#1045Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/23/19 at 8:42am

gibsons2 said: "The latest happened to me at the Betrayal play. There was a couple sitting next to me and the woman was eating peanuts out of a ziplock bag. Which is fine, as long as you aren't severely allergic. The peanuts dust was up my nose and I was thinking that if I was a person with a nut allergies I wouldn't be able to stay and watch the play."

I’m a deathly allergic 15 year old. If I was sitting there I would tell them to put them away, or if they won’t, go to the usher (I always choose isle seats when possible) and I would ask the usher to relocate me. Yes getting up in the middle of a performance is rude, but my life would literally be in danger. 

MX888 Profile Photo
MX888
#1046Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/24/19 at 12:25am

At The History of Violence at St. Ann's Warehouse the other night - no less than 4-5 people either: kicked a can/plastic cup or dropped a phone. It's a pretty quiet show with a lot of dialogue (compounded with the fact that a majority of the patrons are trying to concentrate on the action and reading the English supertitles!!). At least there were no walk outs midway thru...indecisionOh I must note that if you're very sensitive to smoke [see spoiler box] and herbal cigarette smell, then it's best not to sit in the first few rows. I'm pretty sensitive but luckily I wasn't too bothered by it this time... it would've been so bad to have had a coughing fit

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

During the opening scene, one of the actors lights a sage bundle/smudge stick and weaves it in between the audience in the center section of the front row; there's a lot of chain smoking as well

Enjolras5 Profile Photo
Enjolras5
#1047Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/24/19 at 3:24pm

I don't know if this is "bad theatre behavior" per se but there's ALWAYS that one person who coughs in the quietest part.  This has happened at pretty much every Broadway show I can remember!  Any one else relate?

*I am guilty of doing this myself when I had a sore/itchy throat at Les Mis Broadway and started hacking away right after Gavroche said "Lamarque is dead" and I guess the likelihood of having sick people in the audience is pretty high in a large Broadway theatre but still!  It's not a show without that one guy/gal coughing!

~E

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#1048Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/24/19 at 8:00pm

Kea4 said: "OKBroadwayFan said: "Moulin Rouge also encouraged you to take pictures and video before the show starts. There are actors already on stage when they open the house."

When I saw MR in October, this was NOT true. The actors came out on stage maybe 15 minutes before the show started (not when the house was opened). You were allowed to take pictures before the actors came out but not after. The ushers kept telling people to stop taking pictures.
"

I saw it during previews.   I could see how it would get very distracting and hard to control after the show started as well.    

Chowd95 Profile Photo
Chowd95
#1049Bad Theater Behavior
Posted: 11/24/19 at 8:12pm

OKBroadwayFan said: "Kea4 said: "OKBroadwayFan said: "Moulin Rouge also encouraged you to take pictures and video before the show starts. There are actors already on stage when they open the house."

"

I saw it during previews. I could see how it would get very distracting and hard to control after the show started as well.
"

I saw it about two weeks ago. There are signs everywhere now saying pictures are not permitted at all inside the theater (I think the lobby is ok though). The ushers made that very clear as well. The whole pre-show may have been cut down as well, because I showed up about 25 minutes before the performance and the line was around the block to get in. It didn't start moving until ten minutes later. Speaking of the ushers, a woman in the row in front of me was on her phone multiple times during the first half hour. At one point an usher rushed over with a flashlight and told her to get off her phone. I wanted to high five her :)