An American in Paris to open at Palace

An American in Paris to open at Palace

RW3
ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 11:47am

well that was quick.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jason Shatz
#2An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 12:08pm

So what about the months in between? I would hate to see the Palace go dark over the holidays!

LightsOut90
#3An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 12:16pm

^ their going to have to spend time undoing that seating unit and rebuilding the deck.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#4An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 12:23pm

That'll take a week or two.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#5An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 12:26pm

Could-I HOPE-A Christmas Story be making a return engagement for the holidays?! Please, please, please!!!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 12:30pm

True. We did have a surge of holiday shows. And now with all these theaters available for the winter. Why not?

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#7An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 12:35pm

A CHRISTMAS STORY has been by far the best of the 'seasonal' musicals I've seen, so I'd be happy if it returned.

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS intrigues me... will there be an audience for the (presumed) extended ballet sequence?

I also love the unintentional pile-up from season-to-season. Last season we had no golden-age throwback, this season we have this, ON THE TOWN, KING AND I and also FORUM and TWENTIETH CENTURY... you wonder whether these shows would have fared better if they were spread out over different seasons, as far as finding their audience goes. But then again, such are the windows of opportunity... you take 'em when you get 'em.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#8An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 12:44pm

I'm thrilled at the idea of this being on Broadway for the first time. I expect if audiences loved the ballets at the heart of Oklahoma, On the Town, Carousel, West Side Story and On Your Toes, they will welcome the one at the heart of this show too.

I wonder if Alan Jay Lerner will get any credit on this at all, given that the original concept, screenplay and reworking of some of the Ira Gershwin lyrics in the movie were all his. (And p.s., new books for classic properties always scare me a little.)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 12:57pm

I feel like this would have done well had it opened during the holidays.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#10An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 12:57pm

I'm very excited for this, though I fear all of these "classic" musicals (in this case, a classic score) will work against each other.

Updated On: 7/17/14 at 12:57 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#11An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 1:02pm

Huh. I wonder whatever happened to the Ken Ludwig adaptation that premiered in 2008 in Houston.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#12An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 1:10pm

Bliss! (I hope)

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#13An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 1:37pm

So excited for this! The ballet is going to look stunning at the palace.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#14An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 2:07pm

With Robbie Fairchild dancing the Gene Kelly part? Yes, it will be wonderful!

Not to mention Max Von Essen singing "I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 3:09pm

Yeah that ballet dancer is GORGEOUS. I don't care if he can't sing or act. I'll pay money just to watch him stand there.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#16An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 5:12pm

Would love to see Ryan Steele attached to this

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#17An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 8:28pm

I like the idea and I love the cast, but why must all of the Gershwin jukebox musicals have practically the same song stack? Playbill lists "I Got Rhythm," "SWondwrful," "But Not For Me" and "They Can't Take That Away From Me" as being included which is basically the scores of Crazy For You and Nice Work if You Can Get it. Didn't these guys write any other songs?

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#18An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 9:56pm

Ryan Steele was actually involved in the workshops for the show as a featured dance as recently as this past fall/winter.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#19An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 10:07pm

The movie is a classic so seeing this with anyone other than Kelly and Company is a non starter for me.
For whatever reason, Broadway versions of classic MGM musicals have not done well. Examples are Meet me In St Lewis, Singing in The Rain and Gigi.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 7/17/14 at 10:07 PM

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#20An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 10:22pm

LOVE this. One of the best movie musicals ever and I would love to see it on Broadway.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#21An American in Paris to open at Palace
Posted: 7/17/14 at 11:26pm

I always thought Max Von Essen bore a striking resemblance to Gene Kelly. I told him so on Twitter. He took it as a compliment.

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)