pixeltracker

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014- Page 3

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#50Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 10:48am

Thanks, ethan!

BWW just posted it, if anyone else is looking :)

On The Town Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Performance Updated On: 11/27/14 at 10:48 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#51Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 10:52am

The problem with GG is that none of their songs work out if context. That being said, I liked the oetformsnce, but I am a fan of the show.

Honeymoon didn't win me over at all.

In the 're 've about both Side Show and Last Ship but that was true before the parade, too.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Back Row
#52Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 10:52am

That Finding Neverland performance on ABC was a bit bizarre. If you don't have a leading man and you can't even come close to duplicating the presentation from A.R.T., why even bother? The main appeal of the "Stronger" number in Cambridge was the staging and Jeremy Jordan's vocal pyrotechnics. Without those two elements, it fell really flat. Laura Michelle Kelly looked and sounded great, though.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#53Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 11:17am

Oh man. Am I glad I saw the original cast of the Pippin revival.

Stephanatic

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#54Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 11:23am

I missed the On the Town performance, so thanks for sharing that. Barely caught the end of Honeymoon in Vegas. I did like GGtM (or whatever the abbreviation is), and Side Show came off well. Was pleasantly surprised over The Last Ship performance. Very much looking forward to seeing Idina (who was a lot of fun earlier this week with the Bloomingdale's show) and Renee Fleming, whom my cat is madly in love with (seriously, he adores her voice and will stop whatever he's doing when hears her singing).

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#55Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 11:30am

I thought the Pippin performance was good but Josh really doesn't fit in this role but Carly and the rest of the cast were great!

Updated On: 11/27/14 at 11:30 AM

Wilmingtom
#56Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 11:31am

Do you think they front loaded the Broadway numbers because the audience grows as folks drag it out of bed and they wanted to save the more commercial stuff i.e. pop stars for later?

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#57Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 11:32am

The Annie performance was questionable. It looked like the girls had no idea what they were supposed to be doing.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#58Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 11:35am

That ANNIE performance was embarrassingly awful. Wallis had zero polish. The hip hop orchestrations didn't match the Upper West Side-spoiled-brat tone that the kid actors gave. Just embarrassing.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

KathyNYC2
#59Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 11:38am

^^The Macy's Broadway performances are mostly upfront because NBC is filling up the space of broadcast time before the floats arrive down at Macy's at 34th Street - which is the end of the parade that starts about 50+ blocks north.

The only ones you see during the parade are the ones that travel on the parade route as they arrive at Macy's.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#60Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 11:41am

I actually was at the Pippin performance. It was good then and looked good on TV. I was not impressed with Josh's singing though. The beginning was a little rough because his voice didn't sound clear.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#61Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 11:46am

Enjoyed Pippin. Definitley makes me want to the show again before it closes. On The Town was the best, so much energy, great choreography. The Last Ship & Gentleman's Guide fell flat. I still have mixed feelings about Side Show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#62Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 11:57am

Pippin and Sideshow were my favs!!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#63Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 12:17pm

Did anyone else find it odd that the Peter Pan numbers didn't feature either of the stars? Hook usually appears at the end of Pirate's March and Peter leads I Won't Grow Up.

Updated On: 11/27/14 at 12:17 PM

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#64Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 12:30pm

Adamgreer, NBC wants to save their leads for the real show; they did this last year with Sound of Music when they performed Sixteen Going on Seventeen instead of something with a "star" in it. Still thought the numbers they did looked great, and it'll be a lot of fun.

I agree with all that the Annie performance was embarrassing. New Annie was completely phoning it in with limp movements. Perhaps she was nervous about the wet floor from the snow/rain.

Of all the performances at the beginning, I was most impressed by The Last Ship. Hadn't much desire to see this, as it seemed pretty bleak from everyone's reactions, but after that, I'd like to make up my own mind. Thought the song that Sting sang at the Tonys was beautiful too.

Something about Side Show leaves me feeling very indifferent. I want to like this more than I do.

Lastly, On The Town was perfection. For them to sing that song with that backdrop was beautiful, and it was nice to see such a focus on the dancing.

ampi2 Profile Photo
ampi2
#65Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 12:49pm

Plus they made Wendy play Peter Pan's part ...

#66Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 12:56pm

Annie was boring and looks like she couldn't be less interested. Why does Gentleman always do that number on everything?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#67Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 1:10pm

Because you can't sing "I Don't Understand the Poor" at a Parade.

KathyNYC2
#68Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 1:25pm

I was surprised they let the little kids of Peter Pan perform outdoors in the cold - which they did not do with the Sound of Music Kids last year. it's only one performance a week away.

I missed the Annie one..I hope to find it on the internet. It's not surprising when you have movie kids who do performances take after take and in pieces until they get it right - compared to stage kids who do it live all the time..and have to nail it each time as well. It shows..

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#69Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 1:54pm

"Because you can't sing "I Don't Understand the Poor" at a Parade." hehe

Stephanatic

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#70Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 2:11pm

Enjoyed all the performances, especially On The Town. I like they didn't use either star in the Peter Pan performance, the dancing was wonderful.

For those interested, they are repeating the parade now until 4pm.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#71Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 3:45pm

"Side Show" was the only number that made me want to see the show more. It was polished, exciting, and some great musical theatre. Here's hoping it is open in May!

"On The Town" was a fun way to open the parade, and I was more interested in the dancers behind Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie.

"Honeymoon In Vegas" and "The Last Ship" did not capture my interest, and "Gentleman's Guide" was fun but I think a number with more of the cast might have fit the event better. (Is there a number with the full cast that would work?) I'm excited for "Peter Pan Live" but this performance was so-so.

The "Annie" float performance was a mess, and Idina looked great on her float.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#72Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 4:42pm

I know Brynn O'Malley's usual hair (with those awful bangs)does her no favors but whoever decided to make her a blonde should be shot.

The PETER PAN stuff was so over choreographed (big surprise) it was a mess. And the lost men's costumes look like left-overs from Mathilda.
That SIDESHOW number is so cheesy it could be a side dish on a Turkey Day table.

I thought the only decent number was ON THE TOWN.

beautywickedlover
#73Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 5:11pm

The 'On the Town' performance was fantastic. The other Broadway shows on NBC were fine, but nothing extraordinary. I haven't seen the 'Annie' performance yet, but it looks like I've missed nothing yet.

"Plus they made Wendy play Peter Pan's part ..."

It was a little unusual for Wendy to sing "I will never grow a mustache."

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#74Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014
Posted: 11/27/14 at 5:50pm

The On the Town performance was a great way to start the parade. I really enjoyed it and it made me want to see the show again. I went in with such high expectations that I left feeling a bit disappointed, but I really want to try again on it.

Videos