pixeltracker

The Color Purple Announcement Today- Page 2

The Color Purple Announcement Today

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#25The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 4:06pm

The Color Purple Announcement Today

The Jacobs is a great house for this intimate version of the show with only 1078 seats.
That sneak peak is powerfully moving.
I don't know Cynthia Erivo but after that viewing...WOW and the double bill of her with Jennifer Hudson...they are gonna blow the roof off the Jacobs!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/16/15 at 04:06 PM

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#26The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 4:28pm

I didn't know who Cynthia Erivo was until I heard her sing "I Can't Sing" from the XFactor musical which flopped in the West End. That performance (on youtube) gave me goosebumps. I wish her nothing but success. She has a really outstanding voice.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#27The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 4:32pm

Cynthia Erivo ~ Check this out!
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Video-Roundup-Meet-Broadways-Next-Celie-Cynthia-Erivo-20150316

Now I am excited to see this show!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#28The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 4:43pm

Why wasn't Erivo nominated, at least, for an Olivier?

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#29The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 4:49pm

Because productions at the Menier Chocolate Factory are not eligible for the Oliviers.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#30The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 5:15pm

... AGAIN!?

Weird theatre. Weird casting. Pass.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 5:20pm

Roof shattering ?

OK

Poster Emeritus

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#32The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 5:30pm

Considering the raves this production got in London, I'm really looking forward to this — especially in the relatively intimate Jacobs.

Does anyone know what songs have been cut from the original production?

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 3/16/15 at 05:30 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#33The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 8:05pm

I feel sorry for the people paying Broadway prices to watch Jennifer Hudson not-act onstage.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 8:33pm

I don't think there has ever been a less necessary revival in the history of Broadway.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#35The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 8:39pm

Jordan Catalano, you're aware there was less time between the last two GYPSY revivals, right?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#36The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 8:44pm

I'd see Gypsy four times before I saw this once.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#37The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 9:06pm

"Jordan Catalano, you're aware there was less time between the last two GYPSY revivals, right?"

Or La Cage aux Folles?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#38The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 9:09pm

The La Cage revival was unnecessary, but that GYPSY revival was probably the last chance for Patti to do it on Broadway and it worked out very well for her, even thought the production did not recoup.

Updated On: 3/16/15 at 09:09 PM

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#39The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 9:14pm

I really liked a lot of the original production too. The opening half hour or so was thrilling, with genuinely Broadway-worthy songs and lyrics. The ballet that opened Act II was equally electric, a theatrical telling of Nettie's letters from Africa. Those 15 minutes were everything a great musical sequence should be.

Lots of the in-between was less developed and less theater-worthy, simplistic lyrics or unmemorable music, or long patches of uninvolving exposition. So cutting a half hour sounds like a great idea if they cut the right half hour!

Jennifer Hudson as Shug? Could be interesting although a huge belt sound doesn't seem to be the main point of Shug's singing range. I'd happily see the show to see how good the fit is though.

Updated On: 3/16/15 at 09:14 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#40The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 9:45pm

Phyllis, I'm hoping somehow Jennifer Hudson won't be as terrible of an actress on stage? Maybe? She is a terrible film actress, but I respect her taking on a smaller role as her Broadway debut. I thought she was alright in her small role in SEX & THE CITY, though I do think somehow she gets worse every time I see her (she was dreadful in EMPIRE last week).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#41The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 10:10pm

ray, your hope is sexxy/hott, but it ain't gonna happen. My go-to to point out the fact that she and her Oscar still can't act used to be her Weight Watchers commercials, where she wasn't even convincing as herself, but now it's that "Ooh, child" commercial, the version where they stop her mid-note and she says, "That. Felt. Really. Good."

Updated On: 3/16/15 at 10:10 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#42The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 10:14pm

So how did she win the Oscar for Dreamgirls (besides singing And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going)?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#43The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 10:20pm

Zeitgeist, mostly. From the second that scene was shot the machine was telling the world it was going to win her an Oscar. She's not terrible in it, and I'm sure that's all to do with Bill Condon. I think he sometimes lacks a coherent vision as a director, but he gets good performances out of people. And if someone told me she was given a line reading before most takes I wouldn be surprised.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#44The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 11:01pm

This was stunning in London, the company blew the roof of the theatre and was meet with a good ten minute standing ovation.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#45The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 11:09pm

Haha, PRS! When you're right, you're right The Color Purple Announcement Today

So how did she win the Oscar for Dreamgirls (besides singing And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going)?

Ummm, she won an Oscar precisely for singing "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going." I thought she was so out of the world amazing when I first saw her, and every time I watch the movie, her line readings become more and more wooden. You can also tell how much editing creates that performance, try looking for a dialogue scene that features Hudson for more than a few seconds in each shot. Also, remember Condon was very open about how he had to do some sort of "boot camp" for Hudson to get her acting up to snuff.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

sklabam
#46The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 11:30pm

Having seen the glorious and roundly praised London revival, I can't help but think some of this nonsense is simply racism. So be it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#47The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 11:31pm

Wait, what? Racism??

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#48The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/16/15 at 11:49pm

What "nonsense"? People seem to be almost universally excited about this production and Cynthia Ervivo. The only reservations I see (except for Jordan, who has never liked this musical) are about Hudson's acting.

Diva_Dom Profile Photo
Diva_Dom
#49The Color Purple Announcement Today
Posted: 3/17/15 at 12:04am

For anyone who has not heard Cynthia in this version please listen ASAP

http://youtu.be/CbvaQaB5JfM

She is absolutely incredible and I cannot wait to be there November 9th giving her a standing ovation after performing "I'm here." Words cannot contain my excitement!

Latest Posts