Posted: 4/9/15 at 8:54am

"or maybe Gigi will get the 3rd nomination over On The Town"

OK. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#101GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 9:10am

That might make it more entertaining.

(But really?  It's going to all the trouble to argue with itself??)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#102GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 9:16am

Garry Marshall and Pretty Woman creative team take note-romantic prostitute musicals in this day and age are creepy.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#103GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 9:57am

^Is that really the lesson that the opening night critical reception suggests?

The reviews I've read seem to be more critical of this production's feeble efforts to bowdlerize or at least sanitize the demimonde rather than the "creepiness" of the romantic story of a courtesan in training as it had been presented by Colette, Loos, MGM, Minnelli, Lerner and Loewe.

What's really creepy and misogynistic is the notion that love stories - or at least musical comedy ones - should only be reserved for certain moral kinds of women lest they offend contemporary sensibilities preposterously hovering somewhere between - or rather curiously conflating - politically advanced cookie-cutter umbrage and mid-Victorian bourgeois prudishness.

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 09:57 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#104GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:05am

Exactly; I think that if they had gone more edgy with the courtesan stuff (rather than practically cutting it), the reviews might have been more favorable.

As it is, it's a sanitized, suburban-prudish mediocrity, more like an episode of a show about contemporary 18 year-olds on the Disney Channel.

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 10:05 AM

Owen22
#105GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:39am

Oddly, all the females critics decidedly do NOT like Corey Cott and all the male critics (that I know of are gay) do.  I loved him...but now I'm wondering through what prism was I viewing him through...

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#106GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:42am

At least Bergasse, given his less than stellar reviews, won't have to compete with himself for the Best Choreography TONY this year.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#107GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:54am

Gigi is NOT listed on either of the TKTS satellite booths this morning. 

Owen22
#108GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:55am

"^Is that really the lesson that the opening night critical reception suggests?

The reviews I've read seem to be more critical of this production's feeble efforts to bowdlerize or at least sanitize the demimonde rather than the "creepiness" of the romantic story of a courtesan in training as it had been presented by Colette, Loos, MGM, Minnelli, Lerner and Loewe.

What's really creepy and misogynistic is the notion that love stories - or at least musical comedy ones - should only be reserved for certain moral kinds of women lest they offend contemporary sensibilities preposterously hovering somewhere between - or rather curiously conflating - politically advanced cookie-cutter umbrage and mid-Victorian bourgeois prudishness.

"This.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#109GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:56am

"Gigi is NOT listed on either of the TKTS satellite booths this morning. "

Because it does not have a show today. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#110GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:08am

@ebontoyan

You left ON THE TOWN at intermission?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I, for one, found that show thoroughly delightful. Maybe it's a generational thing, I'm old.

So old, in fact, that I saw the original stage production of GIGI, with Alfred Drake, Agnes Moorehead, and Maria Karnilova, when it tried out in San Francisco in 1973. I enjoyed it, but even as a teenager, I recognized that it wasn't a 'great' musical. I happened to catch the London production in 1985 and thought it was deadly. Although I usually don't pay attention to the reviews, this version of GIGI has received such scathing notices that I'll take a pass. 

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

henrikegerman
#111GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:16am

Hushpuppy, you're not the only one.  I'm also consistently shocked by how many on bww don't like the current revival of On the Town.  I thought it was great.  Some of the best dancing I've seen on Broadway in years.  A stupendous turn by Tony Yazbeck.  And Megan Fairchild is just plain wonderful.

I think many just don't embrace the unabashedly sophomoric silliness in the libretto, which for many of us is one of the show's charms.  I get that.  

But it seems many here are even oblivious to the beauty of the score.  Which I don't get.

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 11:16 AM

neonlightsxo
#112GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:17am

I have not seen Gigi, and don't plan to. But seriously, why do people keep hiring Eric Schaeffer? He directed Scandalous.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#113GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:19am

David Armstrong directed Scandalous.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#114GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:20am

^Eric Schaeffer did direct the most recent revival of Follies...

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 11:20 AM

ebontoyan
#115GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:21am

I think it's just me and my companion. The rest of the audience seem to be enjoying OTT while we were trying to keep awake at the 10-15 minute ballet sequence to end act 1.  When the usher said there was another 20 minute ballet sequence to open the second act that's when we decided enough!  I am not a ballet fan and I've read on other threads that the story is thin for OTT but the dance sequences were excellent.  It just wasn't for me.  I will be skipping Gigi as well.  Also glad and impressed to read about the original shows you have seen!

neonlightsxo
#116GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:26am

I apologize, I misread his IBDB.
http://ibdb.com/person.php?id=485505

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#117GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:36am

""Gigi is NOT listed on either of the TKTS satellite booths this morning. "
 Because it does not have a show today. "

Thanks, Kad. My apologies. 

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#118GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:49pm

Agree with the earlier posters who remarked on the 'sanitization' of some of the aspects of this show.

I've not yet had a chance to see it, but am looking forward to doing so.

I find that I don't much care what a critic has to say these days.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#119GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 1:23pm

I'm not one to actually listen to the critics, but I wasn't planning on seeing this show anyway.  I find the plot incredibly creepy (only saw the movie).  I was reading some Facebook comments in the Playbill/Broadwayworld comment section when posting these reviews though, and I saw that a lot of people kept writing "Disney-ified", etc.

Can someone clarify a little how they Disney-ed it up a bit?  Obviously Hudgens played down the sexiness/charm of Gigi (whether purposely or not), so was it just that Gigi was too innocent-like in this version?

And since everyone keeps bringing up OTT, I loved it, because I LOVE watching dance.  But it was one of the shows where I saw it once and I'm good.

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#120GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 1:49pm

"

Bet you can't say THAT three times fast!

Your vocabulary is both pretentiously fun and wonderfully refreshing!

VintageSnarker
#121GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 2:27pm

"I bet the press team is working their butts off tonight to find pull quotes."

They earned their checks this week. I was amazed at the glowing phrases... sometimes just a word or two, they managed to find for the radio ad I heard this morning after a cursory look at didhelikeit last night. If I'd known (as I do now) how bad things actually were, I'd have been even more impressed.

henrikegerman
#122GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 2:32pm

"Your vocabulary is both pretentiously fun and wonderfully refreshing!"

Thanks.  In real life, I'm a lot less fancy.  Not quite so affected.

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 02:32 PM

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#123GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 2:42pm

"These reviews are pretty much what I expected after seeing the show.  To me it's a "why?" production.  Why take a classic piece of literature about a girl being groomed to be a high-end prostitute then change it in case the subject matter might offend?  Why not just do something like "The Boy Friend" instead?"

I really agree. Wilmingtom wrote my post for me.

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 02:42 PM

MegInManhattan
#124GIGI Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 2:50pm

Yes, press team is doing a great job with what they've been given. I've already gotten an email and seen banner ads for the "Delightful! Gigi for a new generation"