pixeltracker

SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews- Page 4

SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews

indytallguy
#75SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:19pm

I agree pretty much with everything Brantley said and I still had a decent time once I gave it to the show's excess.

Mattbrain
#76SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:20pm

Dammit, Brantley!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#77SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:22pm

"As it happens every April due to the mass of openings, I have used up all 10 of my free articles on NYT. So could someone copy and paste the whole thing here? Pretty please? (Will be begging the for the same thing tomorrow for The Visit) 
Thanks!"

Try another browser or use your phone (or desktop if you were on your phone)?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#78SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:22pm

Ouch. I don't necessarily disagree with what he said (I definitely caught myself rolling my eyes a bit from being blasted with theatre joke after theatre joke), but I enjoyed myself. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#79SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:23pm

The show has more than enough quotable material than to rely on the blessing of the Times.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#80SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:25pm

That's a Times review I utterly agree with, taking exception only with the high regard he shows for BOOK OF MORMON and THE PRODUCERS by contrast with the present show.

Won't matter much-- I think this show will clean up at the box office for the foreseeable future.

ebontoyan
#81SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:27pm

And Brantley is the critic who gave raves to 'Honeymoon in Vegas'?! lol  My 2 cents, I think Something Rotten will survive this review and even be a hit! 

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#82SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:28pm

I had NO IDEA it was a copyright violation; I'm sorry. Thank you, though, that's good information to remember. As it turns out, I still have 5 left on mobile so I'm good for tonight and tomorrow!

As for the review itself...that wasn't pretty. But they have some good pull quotes from others, and being compared to The Book of Mormon, in the eyes of tourists, is not a bad thing.

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#83SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:28pm

I think the show is relatively critic-proof at the box office, at least for a good while. They bought themselves a lot of good will with their marketing, which has been measurably more clever than the show itself.

I think ironically, the show's biggest faults result in the creatives thinking their material was critic proof. They were too clever by half (or more than half, perhaps) and lost the thread under the mounting pile of references.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

MNC77
#84SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:29pm

I think its interesting that even the good reviews recognize that the second act has enormous problems, but they sort of just push it to the side. Sad that they didn't get that fixed, I was really hoping they'd spruce up the second act in previews

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#85SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:31pm

Totally agree with Brantley- I'm really so surprised to see such a thoroughly mediocre show get such good notices. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#86SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:33pm

I'm a little bit with Brantley on this one. Though I think I probably enjoyed myself more than he did. Still, I agree that it's pretty baffling that he enjoyed Honeymoon and not this. That man can be pretty unpredictable.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#87SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:37pm

A sensible review from Brantley; he hits the nail on the head, including bestowing his only praise to Cariani, who I thought was best in show.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#88SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:41pm

Looks like it will be Fun Home after all!

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#89SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:42pm

I can only rationalize his HONEYMOON review by assuming he got handsomely paid or they had something damning on him. It's that inexplicable to me.

This one was a very sensible, reasoned review. 

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#90SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:43pm

Ouch! And I agree completely with Brantley...also not so sure this is as critic proof as some are saying. 

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#91SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 10:52pm

"Dammit, Brantley!"

Yes, dammit. But you know what, you win. I generally agree with you Brantley on your reviews and yes, this time too.

But I still enjoyed the show and can see it only picking more steam once they get aired on TV, etc.

iluvtheatertrash
#92SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 11:06pm

Did Brantley have a stick up his behind when he saw this? Jeeze.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

aj88
#93SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 11:08pm

Jesse Green gave it a pretty positive review. I'm trying to get the link up here but can't copy it over for some reason.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#94SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 11:10pm

"Did Brantley have a stick up his behind when he saw this? Jeeze."

No, he just had his glasses on.

Wilmingtom
#95SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 11:11pm

They certainly have enough pull quotes without Brantley to make a run for it. Word of mouth may be another story. After seeing it I'm still confused as to who this show is aimed at. Frat boys who appreciate Broadway musicals? That's a pretty niche market.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#96SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 11:15pm

"Jesse Green gave it a pretty positive review. I'm trying to get the link up here but can't copy it over for some reason."

No, he just saw the show. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#97SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 11:16pm

http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/theater-review-something-rotten.html 

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

massofmen
#98SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 11:26pm

the Times doesn't matter anymore. It has zero power good or bad. 

Owen22
#99SOMETHING ROTTEN Reviews
Posted: 4/22/15 at 11:36pm

"I think I like Ben Brantley a little bit more. Then again, he'll probably give THE VISIT a lukewarm notice. Then I'll find him irritating again. 
 "

As well he should!  The Visit stinks.