pixeltracker

annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison

annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison

rdsport323
#1annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 6:15pm

I took a trip to NYC just to see a few shows. One of them being Finding Neverland. I'm a huge Glee fan, so I was excited to see Matt Morrison up on stage.  But as it turns out, the night I go, Saturday evening show, he tweets that he wants to rest.  Ugh.  I didn't find this out until I got the playbill with the insert.

I just wanted to vent. The show was still great, but I feel ripped off.  I wish I had known earlier he was taking a day off that night..Then I wouldve planned accordingly and watched Gigi instead and wait another day for FN.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#2annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 6:29pm

Well, not everyone has the constitution of Chita Rivera, or other really professional stage performers.

Updated On: 5/10/15 at 06:29 PM

Mr Smith
#2annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison

"I took a trip to NYC just to see a few shows. One of them being Finding Neverland. I'm a huge Glee fan, so I was excited to see Matt Morrison up on stage.  But as it turns out, the night I go, Saturday evening show, he tweets that he wants to rest.  Ugh.  I didn't find this out until I got the playbill with the insert.
I just wanted to vent. The show was still great, but I feel ripped off.  I wish I had known earlier he was taking a day off that night..Then I wouldve planned accordingly and watched Gigi instead and wait another day for FN.

"

I would be annoyed too

Why did you see FN when American in Paris looks so good

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#3annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison

To some, this post might seem... a "bit much".  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 5/10/15 at 06:29 PM

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#4annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 6:39pm

I doubt you were missin much....

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#5annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 6:45pm

I saw the show and I enjoyed Finding Neverland. Matthew Morrison, however was kind of bland. I'm sure the understudy was great.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#6annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 6:50pm

He has a habit of missing performances, as far as I can tell. He was out when I saw the original casts in HAIRSPRAY, PIAZZA and SOUTH PACIFIC. Coincidence, maybe? 

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#8annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 6:56pm

"Who was the understudy?"

Kevin Kern. Pretty jealous you got to see him.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#9annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 6:59pm

It's a tricky subject. Certainly happened a ton of times with Idina in If/Then whenever she had to miss a show, for example. People do buy the tickets for certain performers but they're human. What can you do? You're certainly entitled to disappointment, I think, but at the end of the day it just is what it is.

I know, nothing profound but it is such a consistent subject of conversation 

getatme
#10annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 7:01pm

Kevin Kern was on for both performances yesterday. I went to the matinee when I heard he was on and was really blown away by him. Of the three Barries I've seen (Jeremy, Matthew, Kevin), I thought he was truly the best.

Unfortunately, no one is actually billed above the title in the playbill and so it appears the box office isn't honoring refunds if Kelsey, Matthew, or Laura are out.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#11annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 7:07pm

I went to Wicked back in its first year.  Idina, Kristen, Norbert, Joel Gray and Carol Shelley were all out.  Some sick, some on planned days off that I wasn't aware of.  So you were saying...

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Pootie2
#12annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 7:21pm

"It's a tricky subject. Certainly happened a ton of times with Idina in If/Then whenever she had to miss a show, for example. People do buy the tickets for certain performers but they're human. What can you do? You're certainly entitled to disappointment, I think, but at the end of the day it just is what it is.
I know, nothing profound but it is such a consistent subject of conversation "

Well, it's not reasonable to be angry (disappointed, yes) at the performer when they're out for health reasons, which did happen to Menzel a number of times. But she had that silly stint in the UK near holiday season, which was not a good reason to miss the show (who knows whose idea that was), and then I understand how both the NFL and Oscars things were controversial.

Here's Morrison's tweet: "So sorry to my fans seeing @NeverlandBway today. After a year without a day off, my voice finally decided it needed a break."

This sounds like unplanned health reasons? Morrison tweeted later about how sad he was that his dad would be missing his performance too since he was in town to see it.  I'm sure there have been actors out there who have decided haphazardly to take vacation days without good reason, but who knows if that's the case here (I mean, I don't know if he really has a reputation for just randomly skipping out of shows when he feels like it).

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#13annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 7:31pm

I can totally understand being disappointed, but it does sound to me like he was out for health reasons. Especially if his Dad was there to see him, it seems quite unlikely that he'd take that night off unless he really couldn't sing. 

Performers are human beings,  not robots, and sometimes they do get sick/have vocal issues, despite their best efforts. He probably had to weigh the impact of missing one or two performances and taking care of it now vs trying to go on and possibly doing serious damage. 

I do hope you'll have another opportunity to see him since it means so much to you.

Maggie-the-schnoodle

Mr Smith
#14annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 7:34pm

"I can totally understand being disappointed, but it does sound to me like he was out for health reasons. Especially if his Dad was there to see him, it seems quite unlikely that he'd take that night off unless he really couldn't sing. 
Performers are human beings,  not robots, and sometimes they do get sick/have vocal issues, despite their best efforts. He probably had to weigh the impact of missing one or two performances and taking care of it now vs trying to go on and possibly doing serious damage. 
I do hope you'll have another opportunity to see him since it means so much to you."

we do forget that we are all humans

evic
#15annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 7:34pm

"Rest" is code for Bored with the show already.  And he knows he is in a flop.

Pootie2
#16annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 7:42pm

""Rest" is code for Bored with the show already.  And he knows he is in a flop."

Consistently over 70% gross potential per week so far is a flop? I heard the reviews weren't good and it got no Tony noms, but there's no better revenge than having a commercially successful show (though yes, it's too early to tell either way).

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#17annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 7:43pm

To be clear and accurate, he never said he needed a rest.  His voice gave out.

https://twitter.com/Matt_Morrison/status/597181533305331712

Updated On: 5/10/15 at 07:43 PM

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#18annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 7:45pm

He was scheduled to be out for the matinee yesterday. The night show was unplanned. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

getatme
#19annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 7:49pm

Neither performance was a scheduled absence. His voice gave out during the show on Friday evening. Kern knew he was going to be doing the matinee on Saturday, but Morrison had every intention of coming back for the evening show.

KathyNYC2
#20annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 7:54pm

Right..he scheduled the Sat Matinee off because his voice gave out. I am sure he would not have taken off Sat night with his FATHER coming unless he had no choice.

Between all the appearances he has made to plug the show and the recording of the show was this week, it obviously took it's toll on his voice...and he could not perform.

It happens...performers are human not machines.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#21annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 8:01pm

And it can happen pretty suddenly. In Cambridge, Michael McGrath sang the first half of FN during one show and lost his voice at the end of Act I. My friend who was there could barely hear him sing "Stronger." Paul Slade Smith had to go on for him in Act II.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#22annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 8:04pm

He's been playing soft ball in the show league this week  I know, it doesn't use his voice.  But photos of him playing couldn't sit well with those expecting him in Times Square.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#23annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 8:07pm

He wasn't playing. He was watching from the stands supporting his team. 

And if he was playing, it would be the same problem when last year Ramin would play softball on the day he was supposed to use as a rest day from Les Mis.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#24annoyed, disappointed, bitter about having to see Finding Neverland without Matthew Morrison
Posted: 5/10/15 at 8:17pm

Long story short: The guy needed a day off and his voice gave out, so he planned to be out the matinee, needed to rest more, and called out the evening. As people have been stating left and right in this thread, performers are indeed human and sometimes they need to rest up after non stop pushing themselves. Neverland is certainly not an easy show on a person, especially when you barely leave the stage the entire show like Matthew does. 

It is never easy when someone you want to see in a show has called out, but being this angry about it is just ridiculous. I'm sure Kevin was wonderful, and you can go see Matthew on another day. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Videos