#26Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/8/15 at 3:04pm

So, so excited for this!!

"I have maggots in my scrotum!"

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#27Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/8/15 at 3:45pm

Having just seen the show, I wondered about the injury potential in the choreography.  It's not just that it's so much dance, the leaping up and off and landing must take a toll on knees.  I wasn't prepared for the intensity of the movement, which is almost non-stop, to quote the show itself.  I bet two-show days are brutal, and that the company orthopaedist is used. 

Rannells seems like a logical choice, with the vocal chops and the {what Namo said} thing. This may also the direction casting the role goes in the future, to someone known in the theater who can carry it for 3-6 months.  It's about 15 minutes of stage time, every minute a delicious morsel.  And it makes an easy put-in, with none of the cast required except for a 1-2 minute sequence in act two.  He's also in the ending choral work, but has no lines assigned in the libretto. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

The Barricade Babe
#28Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/8/15 at 5:02pm

Oh my God, I have wanted this to happen since I first heard You'll Be Back, this is so exciting! 

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#29Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/8/15 at 5:34pm

And yet, if you wanted to see it with Rannells (myself included) you're basically SOL as the show was already pretty sold during his entire run prior to his announcement.  

Ahh well...groffsauce for me on Oct 22, I suppose.  No complaints.  

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#30Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/8/15 at 6:07pm

I was really hoping for Steven Pasquale too!  Somehow he was a very intriguing possibility to me. I get my next Ham fix 11/17 (unless my boyfriend wins the lotto before then).  I'm very partial to Groff's King but I'm interested and will report back on Andrew Rannells.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#31Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/8/15 at 6:16pm

re Thayne, without regard to the injury, pulling him from the dance corps definitely leaves a hole. And I speak from experience as I saw his understudy. And ironically, depending on the injury, it might not leave him unable to do the king, as it is not physically demanding at all.

jman16
#32Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/8/15 at 6:38pm

Which 1-2 minute sequence is King George in during Act 2? 

Updated On: 10/8/15 at 06:38 PM

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#33Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/8/15 at 6:48pm

jman16 said: "Which 1-2 minute sequence is King George in during Act 2? "

After "I know him", isn't he on stage for most of "Reynolds pamphlet'?

play esq, you're local right? I've had luck going to the box office

Updated On: 10/8/15 at 06:48 PM

asmith0307
#34Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/8/15 at 11:12pm

He's on stage from I Know Him through The Adams Administration, We Know, and Hurricane until The Reynolds Pamphlet, right? I remember noticing that was the longest he had been onstage but I don't remember it being 5 songs worth. Then again, I wasn't particularly watching him at that point.

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#35Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/9/15 at 2:16am

The King is seated downstage as a spectator at the end of "I Know Him" and stays there for a bit - then he moves to the upper level for a bit - and does some of the group choreography on the subsequent songs. During The Reynolds pamphlet, his exit is a very deliberate downstage cross in front of Hamilton where he gloats on the line "You're never gonna be President now" and throws the Reynolds pamphlet over his shoulder, sort of in Hamilton's face.  

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#36Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/9/15 at 2:42am

Oooh, wicked1492, Norbert is an interesting idea!

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#37Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/9/15 at 4:07am

Is the King in the opening and closing numbers, and does he still do the preshow announcement like he did at the public?

nicnyc Profile Photo
nicnyc
#38Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/9/15 at 4:15am

Hi ChairinMain, the King is not in the opening or closing numbers.  Yes, he still does the clever pre-show announcement.  He comes out for the bows at the end of the show in the plain ivory costume the cast wears for the first number - but he only wears it for the bow.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#39Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/9/15 at 5:52am

I wonder why the king doesn't do the curtain call in his royal getup and changes into the ivory costume, as you note. He doesn't appear in the ivory costume at all in the actual show. I guess it makes him blend in with the rest of the cast, but why would that be desirable?

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#40Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/9/15 at 7:37am

Isn't everyone in ivory at the curtain call except Hamilton and Burr? It would be weird if King George was the only other character chosen to stand out in his usual costume at that point.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#41Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/9/15 at 9:03am

Everyone is in ivory at the end, appropriately.  And though the King is on stage for those other sequences in act two, his contribution other than his song is brief.  The put-in could be easy, the role is still essentially a stand-alone/in-one.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#42Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/9/15 at 9:07am

mariel9 said: "Isn't everyone in ivory at the curtain call except Hamilton and Burr? It would be weird if King George was the only other character chosen to stand out in his usual costume at that point.

Isn't Eliza still in her blue dress when she bows? I think I remember she finishes "Who Lives...," blackout, and then it goes right into curtain call?

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#43Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/9/15 at 9:16am

Sorry, yes, Eliza is also still in costume.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#44Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/9/15 at 11:33am

I've always viewed the ivory outfits, when worn by major characters, to show that at that moment, they're not George Washington or Angeica Schuyler. They're just people telling a story. I know during Who lives, Who dies... there's references to the individual characters, but it seems like narration or storytelling to me.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#45Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/27/15 at 8:06pm

Any word on how hes doing?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#46Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/27/15 at 8:08pm

Considering he's in the middle of his first performance in the role, I'm going to guess there's been no word. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#47Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/27/15 at 8:10pm

Alex M said: "Any word on how hes doing?"

Well, he seems pretty happy.

https://twitter.com/AndrewRannells/status/659136289762103296

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#48Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/27/15 at 8:12pm

Hard to imagine he'll have trouble landing a 5-minute sassy one-song role.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#49Andrew Rannells Joining Hamilton
Posted: 10/27/15 at 8:32pm

Looking forward to seeing it for my second time next Thursday--with Rannells!

Videos