Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along

musicaltheatreman2
#1Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:02pm

After Uzo's amazing performance in The Wiz I think  she would be the perfect temporary replacement to fill in for Audra when she leaves to film her movie.  She has a familiar name from her tv show and I Think would be a good draw for audiences .

She kinda reminds me of Audra vocally and the way she carries herself. I wonder if the producers and creative team have considered her. 

Updated On: 12/5/15 at 01:02 PM

Broadway_Boy
#2Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:06pm

I LOVE this idea!

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#3Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:13pm

I agree that it is a great idea!

But will her filming schedule with "Orange Is The New Black" allow her to take on a stage role without conflict?

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

musicaltheatreman2
#4Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:23pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think it will. Her co star in OITNB star Daniella is in The Color Purple, so maybe it could work for her. 

Updated On: 12/5/15 at 01:23 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#5Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:42pm

Did not care for The Wiz at all but I loved Uzo and think this is a brilliant idea!  

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#6Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:44pm

musicaltheatreman2 said: "I could be wrong, but I don't think it will. Her co star in OITNB star Daniella is in The Color Purple, so maybe it could work for her. "

Oh yes!  Thanks musicaltheaterman2. I forgot that Daniella was in "The Color Purple"! I think I may be stripped of my Theater Nerd moniker for forgetting that! lol!

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

musicaltheatreman2
#7Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 1:50pm

Lol you are welcome theatre_nerd Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along  

LarryD2
#8Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 2:11pm

How can someone -- anyone -- be "the perfect temporary replacement" when nothing is known about the character, vocal demands, etc? 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 2:15pm

Because around here it often only matters if one can "sang".  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr. Musical Profile Photo
Mr. Musical
#10Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 2:32pm

The problem is Audra's break is over the summer which is exactly when OINTB films. Not saying it's impossible, just makes it hard than Danielle in Color Purple for example.

musicaltheatreman2
#11Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 2:36pm

Dramamama611, LarryD2 - it's just an idea, one can dream. 

asmith0307
#12Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 3:14pm

I was hoping for Patina or even Heather Headley if we are going crazy.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#13Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 3:40pm

My first pick would be LaChanze. 

asmith0307
#14Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 4:45pm

Cupid Boy2 said: "My first pick would be LaChanze."

Ohh! That's a good one!

Broadwaystar2
#15Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 5:22pm

Mr. Musical said: "The problem is Audra's break is over the summer which is exactly when OINTB films. Not saying it's impossible, just makes it hard than Danielle in Color Purple for example.

"This is not correct! OITNB films in the fall. The show airs in the summer.

Wilmingtom
#16Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 6:59pm

In what world would LaChanze, Heather Headly or Patina be right for a role in which Audra is cast?  Their voices are nothing alike nor is their type.  Uzo seems like a much more realistic replacement, IMHO.   

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#17Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/5/15 at 8:10pm

^ The world in which LaChanze originated the role of Sarah in Ragtime prior to Audra playing her on Broadway...

iluvtheatertrash
#18Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/6/15 at 1:21am

BOOM.

So glad someone said it, SomeoneInATree. 

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#19Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/6/15 at 1:52am

Wilmingtom said: "In what world would LaChanze, Heather Headly or Patina be right for a role in which Audra is cast?  Their voices are nothing alike nor is their type.  Uzo seems like a much more realistic replacement, IMHO.   

"

Heather Headley, LaChanze, Patina and Audra have all played the part of Sarah in Ragtime  actually . Lol 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#20Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/6/15 at 2:05am

But that doesn't mean the character in Shuffle Along is the same type. By your deductions LaChanze, Headly, and Miller should all kill at "Lady's Day." 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#21Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/6/15 at 2:08am

Happy Sunday, Wilmingtom!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#22Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/6/15 at 2:30am

RippedMan said: "But that doesn't mean the character in Shuffle Along is the same type. By your deductions LaChanze, Headly, and Miller should all kill at "Lady's Day." "

I think you mean Lady Day. And sure, it doesn't mean that, but it means that each of those actresses could all conceivably play the same character. Because (gasp) Audra McDonald isn't the only actress that can play any role she plays (although I agree that those other ladies may not all be right as Billie Holliday). I think Uzo could be a great replacement for whatever character Audra may play in Shuffle Along.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#23Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/6/15 at 7:32am

RippedMan said: "But that doesn't mean the character in Shuffle Along is the same type. By your deductions LaChanze, Headly, and Miller should all kill at "Lady's Day." 

"

Well the question was:

"In what world would LaChanze, Heather Headly or Patina be right for a role in which Audra is cast?" 

The Other One
#24Uzo Aduba - Shuffle Along
Posted: 12/6/15 at 8:45am

Patina will start filming "Madam Secretary" in early July, which might rule her out unless her shooting schedule can be worked around.

Rachel Dolezal, anyone?