pixeltracker

Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior

Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 4:29pm

If the actress on stage would have been Lupone, the offending party would be pushing up daisies right about now.

Poster Emeritus

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#3Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 5:47pm

Where were the ushers?

Fosse76
#4Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 6:36pm

Cupid Boy2 said: "Where were the ushers?"

Not every show's producers allow the usher's to intercept cell phone usage during the performance, claiming it's more distracting than the cell phone. It's amazing how everyone blames the ushers for not intervening, when more often than not they aren't permitted to.

Metfan2
#5Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 6:56pm

I was at a play where the women next to me (front row) left her phone on and it rang, picked up by the microphone.  The ushers kept bugging me as I pulled out my turned off cell phone - this kept happening until finally they figured out it was the lady next to me whose bag was partly under my seat.

Need to have them make the announcement and also have the ushers say it in the local area where they cover.

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#6Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 7:02pm

Fosse76 said: "Not every show's producers allow the usher's to intercept cell phone usage during the performance, claiming it's more distracting than the cell phone. It's amazing how everyone blames the ushers for not intervening, when more often than not they aren't permitted to."

Did you read the article in its entirety? This is clearly not as simple as someone creating a distraction like texting. The woman even got up and left her seat to stand in a "hallway" to continue her conversation, which I'm assuming was one of the aisles off to the side of the house. She could have been easily approached at that point.

Updated On: 12/10/15 at 07:02 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#7Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 7:29pm

A first-hand account: http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=2315766

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Broadway kid 2
#8Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 8:07pm

LizzieCurry said: "A first-hand account: http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=2315766

"

Broadway kid 2
#9Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior

LizzieCurry said: "A first-hand account: http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=2315766

"

Phantom4ever
#10Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior

I wonder if the woman ever came back to watch the rest of the show, or if she realized what she did, or cares?  

As for the ushers, a couple weeks ago at Phantom and Les Miz, the ushers were aggressively yelling at people and chastizing them for being on their phones before Acts 1 and 2. It was great to see. And at both shows, ushers came out at intermission and lectured people who had apprently taken their phones out to text during Act 1. 

Back to Sylvia, Annaleigh's response sure was different than Lupone's. I wonder which type of response is going to elicit a change in habits?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#11Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 8:15pm

Nothing will change. Much like drunk drivers, we have had "education" up the Wazoo.It does no good as some people simply do not care,and,think they are above the law. Until they start being ejected from the theater with no refund they will continue acting however they want.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 12/10/15 at 08:15 PM

#12Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 8:34pm

At the Cort Theatre there are aisles between the seats and the walls at stage left and stage right in the orchestra section.  When the show is in progress there are heavy curtains drawn closed to create a barrier.  I would assume she went through those curtains so she was out of sight of the audience.  But obviously still audible.

ChiTheaterFan
#13Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 8:59pm

How sweet is annaleigh Ashford?  Her first response is she hopes the person's family is ok. I wish I had that much faith in the good in people. I don't.  I'm sure it was just a jerk. I would've been ragey. But I find these people who have such positivity in the face of despicable behavior so endearing. 

fbueller
#14Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 9:11pm

Are any retail or entertainment establishments allowed to implement cell phone jammers?  There is minimal cost for this technology.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#15Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 9:11pm

No, they're not.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 9:17pm

Jamming is definitely a great option

Poster Emeritus

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#17Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 9:32pm

^ preach, brotha!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#18Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 11:26pm

Unfortunately, it is illegal.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#19Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/10/15 at 11:54pm

Not to mention so much of the wireless technology that is used in the theatre would be blocked as well.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#20Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/11/15 at 5:11am

I'm sure if they posted word on the tickets, the sign at the door, etc. they can make it legal. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 12/11/15 at 05:11 AM

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#21Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/11/15 at 6:57am

I already know the answer to this, but can people really be that ignorant?  This behavior surpasses anything I've seen at a theater and I've seen plenty of rude people over the years including a tourist rustling her M&M's shopping bag to find a snack.  It didn't stop the show but if people around me had a rope there might have been a lynching.  Incredibly ignorant doesn't begin to describe it.  Maybe theaters could place a theater etiquette sheet in the playbill?  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#22Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/11/15 at 7:42am

Ashford and Broderick are beyond gracious.

They handled the situation with absolute professionalism and compassion.

Bravo!

....but the world goes 'round

Islander_fan
#23Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/11/15 at 8:50am

everythingtaboo said: "I'm sure if they posted word on the tickets, the sign at the door, etc. they can make it legal. 

"

Nope, that is not what will make it legal. Not at all. 

ChiTheaterFan
#24Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/11/15 at 8:51am

mc1227 said: "I already know the answer to this, but can people really be that ignorant?  This behavior surpasses anything I've seen at a theater and I've seen plenty of rude people over the years including a tourist rustling her M&M's shopping bag to find a snack.  It didn't stop the show but if people around me had a rope there might have been a lynching.  Incredibly ignorant doesn't begin to describe it.  Maybe theaters could place a theater etiquette sheet in the playbill?  

"

I just saw Sylvia. There is a huge flyer that sticks out of the playbill saying to silence cell phones. And the announcement at the beginning can't be missed because they have ringing and barking and the announcer says Sylvia will bark if she hears any cell phones. It's clear as day. Some people just don't care about etiquette or anything other than themselves. 

I do think for some behavior (loud eating, etc, like he example you mention) people just don't know better and I think an etiquette sheet would be a great idea. Just dont think it would've affected this particular jerk. 

Updated On: 12/11/15 at 08:51 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#25Sylvia 12/9 Unbelievable Behavior
Posted: 12/11/15 at 10:08am

You can put 50 etiquette sheets in a Playbill and still people will ignore them and do what they want. Once they start getting ejected from a theater and lose their money they will think twice the next time. Of course there are some who will continue to do what they want no matter how much it costs them. 

Imagine someone waits 6 months and pays a gazillion dollars for a ticket to The Show and than gets ejected for bad behavior. This would bring a smile to many faces. 

Poster Emeritus