Clay Thomson's tweet

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#1Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:21am

I think that this tweet that Clay Thomson (actor in Matilda) wrote is worth bringing up and ranting about. 

Last night he tweeted: "Since our sound dept is nailing it, the entire audience just heard me talking about gay shoulders instead of hearing the balloon man solo" (with nail painting emoji after) (I don't know how to put images on here so if someone does, feel free).

I find that him writing this is extremely unprofessional and degrading to the other departments in the show. It actually makes me wonder if he knows the names of the people who run the sound. Whether he is writing this as a "joke" or not, I find this behavior happening more and more with actors (specifically guys who are in their 20's with "beautiful bodies"Clay Thomson's tweet who feel like they are inferior. Thoughts? 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:25am

That does suck about the sound, but it's live theatre and he should know that. It's also kind of inappropriate for him to say that with many child actors looking up at him.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:27am

https://twitter.com/ClayThomson/status/681561325785464832

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

neonlightsxo
#4Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:34am

So he should've been muted offstage but he wasn't, is that what the issue is?

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#5Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:35am

All the gay theatre twinks think they're irreplaceable, to be honest. It's almost laughable.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#6Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:37am

What are "gay shoulders?"

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

hork Profile Photo
hork
#7Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:47am

My thought is that it's not worth bringing up or ranting about, and that maybe people should stop bringing us every little tweet they come across and read too much into.

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#8Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 11:53am

I see nothing wrong with it. The sound guy made a mistake, and Clay made a joke about it. The end. 

FindingNamo
#9Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 12:33pm

Why are you trying to make a mountain out of a 'mo hill?  It's just a tempest in a tweet pot.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
#10Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 1:01pm

Do we really need to make a thread every time an actor tweets something we don't like? 

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#11Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 1:14pm

It's not making a mountain out of 'mo hill. As Call_me_jorge said, this actor has young followers and whether he intended to or not, made an extremely unprofessional comment to his peers who work just as hard on this show. He should be called out. Forgive me for not believing that this topic isn't important as there are posts all the time on here asking to dream cast Frozen the Musical. Good Grief. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#12Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 1:18pm

Twitter gives public showcase to all sorts of thoughts- sometimes they are funny and insightful, sometimes they are ill-advised. Take the good with the bad unless the bad is actively causing harm. Which this isn't.

And who the eff is Clay Thomson? Who cares what he says?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 12/29/15 at 01:18 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#13Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 1:20pm

Do a large number of people even follow him?

I can't think of something I could care less about than a random chorus boy's tweet.

....but the world goes 'round

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#14Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 1:20pm

suttonfoster said: "It's not making a mountain out of 'mo hill. As Call_me_jorge said, this actor has young followers and whether he intended to or not, made an extremely unprofessional comment to his peers who work just as hard on this show. He should be called out. Forgive me for not believing that this topic isn't important as there are posts all the time on here asking to dream cast Frozen the Musical. Good Grief. 

"

Raise. The. Roof. 

This. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#15Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 1:23pm

It's not unprofessional. If you were performing in a show, and the entire audience heard you talking about "gay shoulders" (I'm assuming it made sense in context), wouldn't that be a funny and slightly embarrassing anecdote you'd want to share? And isn't Twitter the easiest way to do that? And isn't "sound dept" easier to fit in a tweet than the names of the entire sound department? And even if he doesn't know their names, so what? Do you know the names of everyone who works at your place of business?

Updated On: 12/29/15 at 01:23 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#16Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 1:26pm

OUTRAGE!!!!!!

VintageSnarker
#17Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 1:30pm

"I can't think of something I could care less about than a random chorus boy's tweet."

I think he plays Michael Wormwood. But also... what are gay shoulders???

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#18Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 3:24pm

I really don't think he tweeted that attempting to demean the work of his colleagues. It reads to me as him poking fun at himself and the fact that he was heard by the audience talking about "gay shoulders" mid-show. It's the world of live theatre, and these things happen. If the children are too fragile to understand that and to find the humor in it, perhaps they should find a new interest. 

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#19Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 3:28pm

The sound design in Matida is pretty terrible. But still, what a douche. 

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#20Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 3:30pm

All the gay theatre twinks think they're irreplaceable, to be honest. It's almost laughable.

God I love you. You're my favorite.

indytallguy
#21Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 3:33pm

If he had led with "because of an unexpected hot mike" instead of "Since our sound dept is nailing it" it definitely would have read as self-effacing.

Even so, his actually Tweet still reads pretty innocuous to me.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#22Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 3:34pm

I find this behavior happening more and more with actors (specifically guys who are in their 20's with "beautiful bodies"who feel like they are inferior. Thoughts? 

Wait, who feels inferior here?

Updated On: 12/29/15 at 03:34 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#23Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:24pm

seriously what the heck are gay shoulders? and why should we care what Clay thinks about them? I've never heard of him or them ??

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#24Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:34pm

Clay Thomson's tweet

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#25Clay Thomson's tweet
Posted: 12/29/15 at 4:50pm

those are some gay shoulders right there

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."