pixeltracker

HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...- Page 2

HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#25HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 12:54pm

RW3 said: "Kad said: "What do you mean "clearly didn't work out"? The film was a great success and even snagged a SAG nomination for its ensemble. "

By "clearly didn't work out" I meant Nikki Blonsky. She was an unknown and was relevant when she was announced and shortly after the film was released. But, her career afterward didn't continue. Thus, choosing an unknown doesn't always work out.

"

Sure as hell worked out for the project, which is what is being discussed.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#26HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 12:55pm

Cool.  I am happy for this.  They need to right the wrong of that awful movie they did with the gummy bear as Edna.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#27HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 12:56pm

I'd love for Jackie Hoffman to reprise her Broadway track in this. Wishful thinkingm, perhaps.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#28HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 12:58pm

Meryl Streep as Tracy, please.

Sunny11
#29HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

There are different expectations placed on casts in international released studio blockbusters  vs made for TV movies though. I don't think that if an unknown was made a star in this production that the pressure placed on her will be the same that was on Nikki Blonsky and the possibility of  getting too big too soon and then crashing and burning afterwards  will be the same. 

Updated On: 1/13/16 at 12:58 PM

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#30HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

Darlene Love for Motormouth!!!

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#31HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

While the film is one of the better stage-to-screen adaptations, I am excited for this Live performance but PLEASE, GOD...DO NOT CAST JOHN TRAVOLTA TO REPRISE HIS ROLE!

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#32HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:01pm

Harvey is a must!  I think this show is a great choice for live TV.  Zach  Efron as Linc, Rebel Wilson as Tracy could also work out?

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#33HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:07pm

I'm sending up some prayers now... Let Jack O'Brien and Jerry Mitchell recreate their genius Broadway staging (adapted for camera of course) and let Harvey Fierstein (the ONLY acceptable choice in my opinion) be Edna!!!!!!!!!!!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

JM226
#34HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:08pm

Zac Efron will be unavailable due to filming on another movie from August/September to Oct/Nov. Do not bother suggesting him 

Sunny11
#35HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:11pm

I don't think that Efron is age appropriate now, he bulked up considerably for a movie and, while he looked amazing, didn't look high school age at all. 

Updated On: 1/13/16 at 01:11 PM

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#36HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

I'm taking a guess that Nick Jonas is potential candidate for the role of Link. He's had a relationship with Zadan/Meron with Smash as well as with Shaiman/Wittman when he did Hairspray for the Hollywood Bowl.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#37HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

Darlene Love however, is a great recommendation. She was Motormouth when I saw the show! 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#38HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:14pm

I love Rebel, but I think she would make a horrible Tracy. Tracy is the straight man amongst a cast of zany characters, and I don't she can play that, as she is too hilarious.

Fosse76
#39HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:16pm

Zac Efron and Rebel Wilson are too old. It's absurd to even mention them. Billy Crystal, also too old. Maybe we can get some age-appropriate casting.

As successful as the Wiz was, NBC still cannot get these musicals right. The overall "look" and "feel" of these presentations make them look like cheap soap operas. There is a lot of deadly background silence during the book scenes, and even deadlier silence at the end of the musical numbers. And the transitions into the commercial breaks kill the momentum of these musicals and also take away some of the theatricality of them. I've said it before and I will say it again: these need an audience. And they should really get one or two sponsors who would be willing to cover the whole thing so that the commercial breaks can be minimized. The WIz had about 45 minutes worth of commercials.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#40HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:19pm

They need a great team of comedic actors for this to nail the book scenes, for sure.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RaiseYouUp Profile Photo
RaiseYouUp
#41HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:19pm

This is wonderful news! I'm so glad that NBC has chosen a great show to produce this time!

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#42HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:20pm

Well, Nikki does live a few miles from the sound stage! Latifah had a ball in "The Wiz", so ya never know.

nasty_khakis
#43HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:23pm

How about Miss Jennifer Lewis??!

Wildcard
#44HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:24pm

Instead of "learning" from the Wiz, I wish they had learned from ITV's Sound of Music instead. 

I hope this doesn't mean all their sets will be LCDs

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#45HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

This sounds like a bad move, but a safe one too.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#46HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

@Fosse76

Your right about the commercials, but I wonder how its going to work out with Hairspray since most several scene changes have musical interloods with the The Dynamites. In all honesty the quick scenes with The Dynamites where one of my favorite parts about the original production. 

If I had to guess they will try to do what they did with Sound of Music and Peter Pan, since The Wiz got "great" ratings they can charge a premium. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#47HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...
Posted: 1/13/16 at 1:25pm

"This sounds like a bad move, but a safe one too."

It cannot be both.

Londonskyguy
#48HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

LuPone as Velma Von Tussle please.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#49HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...

Nikki Blonsky's non-career says more about the industry than it does about her talent and ability to be a star. 

"

I disagree. I heard that she became difficult to work with. 

Updated On: 1/13/16 at 01:25 PM