pixeltracker

Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD. back to Broadway?- Page 3

Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD. back to Broadway?

rjm516
#50Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 4/22/16 at 4:48pm

^ Yes they say she is unwell. It's insane that they don't have a refund policy in the West End for above the title performers. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#51Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 4/22/16 at 9:23pm

Does she have an understudy or were the performances cancelled?

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#52Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 4/23/16 at 3:41am

"Flu"- read vocal strain.  You don't come back after 2 days with flu.  She is scheduled to return for the Saturday 2 shows...

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#53Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 4/23/16 at 4:17am

Yes, Ria Jones played the role while Close was "sick"

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#54Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 4/23/16 at 7:47am

She is off both shows today

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#55Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 4/23/16 at 9:27am

Yikes- disastrous PR for this show...

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#56Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 4/23/16 at 10:17am

NOWaWarning said: "I think Ripley's voice has recovered quite nicely from Next to Normal. Her As If We Never Said Goodbye at her 54 Below show with Emily Skinner was thrilling.

"

Came here to say this. I love Alice, but have admittedly been a little hit or miss on her vocals lately. But that performance at 54 Below was an absolute masterclass. I've never particularly cared for Sunset Boulevard, and it made me want to see it immediately with her as the star. Just exceptional on all levels.

10086sunset
#57Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 4/23/16 at 9:01pm

How is this policy acceptable?

It's a short run, not open ended. 

I would have zero interest if I went to see Glenn and was told she wasn't on. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#58Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 4/24/16 at 10:23pm

Forgive me if this was already posted, but I just found this and thought it was fun:

http://www.newnownext.com/90-gay-men-serenade-glenn-close-with-sunset-boulevard-song-stop-traffic/04/2016/

I still would have loved the see Glenn act the role, but I must say her voice now is a little weak (at least from the audio I've heard). She seems to struggle hitting/sustaining notes more than she originally did, which according to a lot of people, was already a problem. I actually loved her voice on the cast recording.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Sondheimtime Profile Photo
Sondheimtime
#59Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/19/16 at 8:28am

Is there still a possibility of the ENO production transferring? Any new speculation? 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#60Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/19/16 at 9:00am

I always found that speculation to be kind of just the initial hype.  Glenn Close going to London with the ENO was kind of a unique thing... Being hailed as she was as "the Norma"; "returning" to the role 20 years later, first time playing the role in the West End - all of that added to the drama and helped sell a lot of tickets.

Were she to return here to do that I don't think it would work as well.  Critics and audiences (myself included) her saw her 20 years ago in the original won't be able to help but make unfair comparisons.

Now for some real fun, imagine ALW and Patti made up and she played Norma in a limited run here in NY.  It would be as hot a ticket as Hamilton

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#61Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/19/16 at 9:20am

chernjam said: "Now for some real fun, imagine ALW and Patti made up and she played Norma in a limited run here in NY.  It would be as hot a ticket as Hamilton"

Oh hell yeah. And literally the only problem with Patti's portrayal back then was she was too young to be playing. Now, she's got the depth and the texture the part needs, and she can sing it even better than she did then. She'd knock it out of the damn park.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#62Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/19/16 at 1:39pm

"imagine ALW and Patti made up"

I think Jennifer Hudson has a better chance at winning this year's Best Supporting Actress Tony than that^ ever happening.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#63Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/19/16 at 1:48pm

Another problem was that her acting was atrocious.

Telegram Spam
#64Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/19/16 at 3:03pm

Having seen the original London production with Lupone, and the original New York production with Close, I have no interest in seeing either of them again in a watered down concert staging of a musical that has (thus far) been more noteworthy for its lavish original costumes and sets than its music. ("As If We Never Said Goodbye" was written long before the rest of the score.) The person I'd like to see in a fully staged New York revival is...Harvey Fierstein. If ever anybody was born to play Norma, it's him. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#65Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/19/16 at 6:10pm

You really want to hear Harvey sing this score?

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#66Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/19/16 at 7:02pm

I saw it the final week in London and it was a lot bigger then a typical concert staged production in New York.  I can't compare it to the original, but there was a full sized car on the stage for less than a minute just to give you an idea.  

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#67Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/19/16 at 9:57pm

Having seen the original 8 times on Broadway and the tour twice - Sunset remains one of my all time favorites (up there with Aspects of Love) - primarily because of the score - I love it.  LuPone's recording of it really is disappointing.  The only reason I'd suggest ALW making up with her and having her play Norma (the noble reasons of forgiveness not withstanding) -is that it would make phenomenal copy/gossip in NY.  "LuPone's 'come home at last' as Norma" - the headlines would write themselves "20 years over-due" etc.  

For me, Betty Buckley was the best Norma of all - (up there with Karen Mason) - mostly because they CAN SING - and sing phenomenally well.  

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#68Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/19/16 at 10:44pm

jo said: "In the same concert,  she also sang the other Norma song ( AS IF WE NEVER SAID GOODBYE) --

"

"As If We Never Said Goodbye" and "With One Look" are two different songs? Who knew?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#69Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/20/16 at 1:19am

I think it's a gorgeous score, and I'd love to see an understated-revival. Granted, I'd love to see an over-bloated huge revival as well, ha, but yeah. 

Wilmingtom
#70Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/20/16 at 2:18am

I don't agree that Lupone was too young.  In 1950, an actress of 40 was considered over the hill, let alone one of 50.  I can't attest to her performace, which I didn't see, but of those I did see (Close, Buckley, Paige, Mason) I thought Mason really hit the mark.  I loved the sense of humor Paige brought to the role, but Buckley played it like Media, and on the verge of tears every moment, and Close played the final scene right from the jump.  It was hard to believe that Joe, seeing either Buckley or Close coming down the stairs at the beginning, wouldn't have run for his life.   

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#71Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/20/16 at 12:26pm

QueenAlice said: "I would love to have seen Chita take on the role sometime during the original run. I do think she would have been fabulous 20 years ago. During the original run in the UK, they hinted that Dame Shirley Bassey was going to take on the part, which would have been something crazy to behold too.

"    Bassey talks about how she wouldn't play the part :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdyj-Nd0gJA

Darreyl with an L!

10086sunset
#72Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 5/20/16 at 12:38pm

darreyl102 said:

"    Bassey talks about how she wouldn't play the part :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdyj-Nd0gJA

Thanks for sharing this...

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#73Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 8/5/16 at 12:04am

http://nypost.com/2016/08/04/glenn-close-is-close-to-coming-back-to-broadway-in-her-killer-role-as-norma-desmond/

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#74Glenn Close in SUNSET BLVD.
Posted: 8/5/16 at 1:32am

Thanks so much muscle - I would love to see Sunset again - I'd prefer Close's understudy and the original production with that glorious set.  But with a 50 piece orchestra?  Wow that has to be larger than the original orchestra.