pixeltracker

Arden Directing "Merrily" In LA- Page 2

Arden Directing "Merrily" In LA

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#25Arden Directing
Posted: 5/6/16 at 12:47pm

I think they're both talented and adorable. I have no vitriol toward either of them.

pupscotch
#26Arden Directing
Posted: 5/11/16 at 3:46pm

This is officially a Deaf West production! I wish I lived in LA so I could see this!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Michael-Arden-Deaf-West-Theatre-Will-Next-Take-on-Stephen-Sondheims-MERRILY-WE-ROLL-ALONG-20160511

Mr. Musical Profile Photo
Mr. Musical
#27Arden Directing
Posted: 5/11/16 at 3:50pm

pupscotch said: "This is officially a Deaf West production! I wish I lived in LA so I could see this!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Michael-Arden-Deaf-West-Theatre-Will-Next-Take-on-Stephen-Sondheims-MERRILY-WE-ROLL-ALONG-20160511

"

After looking on the Wallis's website, it doesn't seem like it actually is a Deaf West production, despite what BWW's article says.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#28Arden Directing
Posted: 5/11/16 at 4:23pm

Arden, who also received Drama Desk and New York Outer Critics Circle Award nominations for Best Direction of Deaf West Theatre's SPRING AWAKENING

The above is the only reference to Deaf West in the article about MERRILY. There's no indication that MERRILY will be a Deaf West production or co-production.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#29Arden Directing
Posted: 5/11/16 at 7:54pm

What happened to the second musical he was due to direct in the same season?

edit , just saw its The Pride

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
Updated On: 5/11/16 at 07:54 PM

wicked4l
#30Arden Directing
Posted: 5/11/16 at 9:55pm

It's Marissa Winouker, Tituss Burgess and Steve Kazee.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#31Arden Directing
Posted: 5/11/16 at 10:17pm

wicked4l said: "It's Marissa Winouker, Tituss Burgess and Steve Kazee.

"

Great cast 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#32Arden Directing
Posted: 5/11/16 at 10:49pm

Tituss Burgess should be interesting. Definitely a new kind of role for him. I assume he would be Charlie to Kazee's Frank. Exciting!

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#33Arden Directing
Posted: 5/12/16 at 5:55am

That's....completely inspired and outstandingly brilliant. I'm so glad I'll be in the LA area when this is happening.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Annie Daaé
#34Arden Directing
Posted: 5/12/16 at 6:41am

I think it's because Mientus has an... acerbic... sense of humor and says things that might rub others the wrong way. Does a lot of shading and subtweeting.

And people probably automatically accuse Arden of the Casting Couch because Mientus plays Hanschen. (Joey Haro was meant to play Hanschen, and he did (rocked it), but dropped out for a movie deal. Mientus volunteered because Arden reportedly had problems finding a replacement on short notice, given that he had already played the role and just needed to learn it in ASL - basically doing half the work compared to the brand-new actor Arden could have hired.) 

(I adore these two to bits, by the way.)

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
GreenSharpie Profile Photo
GreenSharpie
#36Arden Directing Merrily: Burgess, Kazee and Winokur Star in Reading
Posted: 10/18/16 at 1:05pm

The cast has been announced:

http://www.playbill.com/article/wayne-brady-aaron-lazar-saycon-sengbloh-cast-in-west-coast-merrily

Aaron Lazar (Frank)

Wayne Brady (Charley)

Donna Vivino (Mary)

Whitney Bashor (Beth)

Saycon Sengbloh (Gussie)

Amir Talai (Joe Josephson)

Thoughts?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#37Arden Directing Merrily: Burgess, Kazee and Winokur Star in Reading
Posted: 10/18/16 at 1:23pm

Interesting that none of the leads from the "developmental lab" are returning.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#38Arden Directing Merrily: Burgess, Kazee and Winokur Star in Reading
Posted: 10/18/16 at 4:40pm

They have been "developed" out.

GreenSharpie Profile Photo
GreenSharpie
#39Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 10/19/16 at 12:10pm

I personally think it's good that Titus Burgess has been "developed out." I don't think he's a good fit for Charley, whereas Wayne Brady is perfect for the role.

It's too bad about Marissa Winouker, but I love Donna Vivino and think she is so underrated. She'll be a great Mary.

Updated On: 10/19/16 at 12:10 PM

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#40Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 11/15/16 at 9:22pm

Promo video now out:

https://youtu.be/c1-rJp3lEXU

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#41Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 11/15/16 at 9:40pm

We have tickets for Thanksgiving weekend-- high hopes for what Michael Arden can pull off, but I've yet to see a convincing mounting of this tough show. Will report back between waves of tryptophan comas.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#42Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 11/28/16 at 11:48am

Has anyone seen this yet? Curious to hear how it is...

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#43Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 11/28/16 at 12:02pm

I saw it on Saturday night 11/27 It was amazing. It made me cry multiple times. The set was kind of bland, the direction was outstanding, and Wayne, Donna, and Aaron were stars. I will definitely be going again.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#44Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 11/28/16 at 12:21pm

There are also some nice notices on Goldstar, though one mentions as a slight complaint that Arden 'recycles' his 'shadowing concept' from Spring Awakening. What could that mean?

Wildcard
#45Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 11/28/16 at 3:26pm

"Arden wrestled with how to deal with some of the so-called problems of previous productions of “Merrily” — particularly the age of the characters: “It always bothered me as an audience member because I was watching a 40-year-old playing 20 or a 20-year-old playing 40.” He toyed with the idea of multiple casting, but Sondheim nixed that idea, telling Arden that he wanted to stay true to the wishes of Furth.

“‘Merrily’ to me was always about looking at how people change, and I thought it would be interesting to see how we could physicalize that change,” Arden says. So he cast actors to dance as “ghost” versions of three actors when they were younger."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-michael-arden-20161125-htmlstory.html

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#46Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 11/28/16 at 4:38pm

I caught the show yesterday, and thought it was fantastic! I knew songs and the basic concept of the show, but I had never listened to the score in full or seen the show. I thought the time concepts was pretty clear, but I'm not sure if there were any revisions to this production.

The design concept was very interesting, and added emotional impact in Act Two (although the reveal was a little expected). The cast was uniformly excellent. Aaron Lazar was in great voice (and those ARMS! Yum!), Wayne Brady was a pleasant surprise, and Whitney Bashor was a stand out in Act Two. The highlights of show, for me, were Saycon Sengbloh and Donna Vivino. Saycon was in great voice and has a great sense of humor for such a diva-esque role. Donna Vivino - wow. She brought such a great bolt of energy every time she came on stage. Her voice is stellar, and she was absolutely hilarious. 

There were a couple of small pacing issues with applause breaks (weird spots during "Franklin Sheppard Inc." got applause, while there was no chance to applaud after "Not A Day Goes By" in Act One), but I am so glad to have seen this production of such a seldom-produced show.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#47Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 11/28/16 at 5:06pm

The idea of the "ghosting" sounds a little unnecessary to me, but perhaps I feel that way because I've seen productions of the show that I thought worked without that added embellishment.  Perhaps its an idea that works better in person.

JVJ93
#48Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 11/28/16 at 5:22pm

Any chance this production will maybe transfer to NY? Off or on broadway 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#49Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA
Posted: 11/28/16 at 9:17pm

I saw the show this past weekend, my first ever view of a professional mounting of Merrily, and sorry to say, I have a very different take than most of the above posters.

To my eyes, this book was perhaps the worst ever to be paired with a Sondheim score (and let's face it, there are quite a few candidates for that honor.) Uniformly nasty characters riddled with cliches inhabit scene after scene making the same point-- rich folks are shallow and evil, and every career path is a binary choice between being successful and being true to your own voice. Weren't the songs brilliant though? Well, sure, but I never noticed listening to my old cast album how every song in Act I was either bitter, angry or ruefully sad. By the time we get to the sublime gems "Opening Doors" and "Our Time", the damage is done and no amount of perfect harmonizing in a major key can repair the gloom.

Would the evening have been any better with the original score and book circa 1981, featuring "The Hills of Tomorrow", and "Rich and Happy", etc? We'll never know, but the mishmash left by all the interpolations post 1985 did nothing to improve matters for me. (And frankly, isn't "Growing Up" an awful lot like Maury Yeston's  "Getting Tall"?)

Despite this, there are two huge pluses in this production: a great cast of superb performers who can really sing these songs the way they should be sung, and a terrific band of 13 musicians who make every note of the score come alive. They deserved every bit of rousing applause they got all night.

I'm at a loss to describe Michael Arden's direction. I sort of liked the 3 young dancers who shadowed the 3 leads most of the night, until they actually replace them in the rooftop scene to perform "Our Time". But why does Frank seem to wander through every scene in Act I with a dumbstruck look on his face, like he's as confused by the backward chronology of the script as the rest of us? And why does the set entirely consist of dressing room makeup mirrors in a black void, when backstage dressing room scenes amount to about 3 minutes of the total show? 

The day before seeing this show, we watched the making-of doc, "Best Worst Thing That Ever Could Have Happened". I'd say skip the live production entirely and just enjoy the bittersweet failures of that original Broadway show. All the emotion, all the heartache, all the wonder and folly of youth, all the pain and joy and tears of growing older that are the essence of the play-- they're all there to be savored in that brilliant film.

Updated On: 11/28/16 at 09:17 PM

Latest Posts