Tony nom rants

ChiTheaterFan
#50Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 9:49am

Bummed Benjamin Walker didn't at least get nominated for American Psycho. I would've put him in over Brightman. But on the other hand, happy to see Levi recognized. I would've liked to see more for American Psycho, but I guess I'm not surprised. 

Would've liked to see Paul Alexander Nolan nominated, but I'm not surprised, and I'm so happy about the love for Bright Star. 

I haven't seen Shuffle Along yet, but no one can say the 5 ladies nominated weren't deserving, even with no nomination for Audra. Thrilled to see both Cusack and Soo recognized--I really thought if there weren't 6 they wouldn't both be. 

Overall I am very pleased with the nominations!!!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#51Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 9:50am

devonian.t said: "It's still mathematically impossible for them to beat The producers for wins, isn't it?  They can't all win best supporting actor!"

They could tie. A three-way tie is unlikely, but it could still happen.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#52Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 9:52am

"I'm actually a little surprised the band kids in School of Rock weren't given a special Tony like they did with Matilda and Billy Elliot. Those kids playing the band are really something to behold this season."

BeNice:

The boys in Billy Elliot weren't given as special award they shared the Best Actor in a Musical award.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 5/3/16 at 09:52 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#53Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 9:53am

Amazing Audra did not get a nod and the world is still spinning on its axis.This year's awards will be beyond boring and like Rosscoe said not interested this year. As you get older you lose interest in many things. Earlier this year, it was the Oscars. This year may be the Tonys. Why watch an award show when you basically know about 1/2 the winners ahead of time?

Poster Emeritus

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#54Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 9:56am

I'm also shocked that Christopher from Waitress got in, but not Gavin Creel nor Billy Porter. He came out of nowhere, but in a good way

Updated On: 5/3/16 at 09:56 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#55Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 9:57am

CindersGolightly said: "I'm very upset about the Annaleigh snub, but she won last year, so I'm trying to be chill about it. "

Her not being nominated shouldn't have at all been a shock.

I'm mostly surprised not one category spilled over into 6 nominees in this highly competitive year.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#56Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 9:59am

Cannot fathom a Tony world where She Loves Me gets 8 nominations and Waitress only gets 4. Wow...

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

pupscotch
#57Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:01am

devonian.t said: "It's still mathematically impossible for them to beat The producers for wins, isn't it?  They can't all win best supporting actor!

"

Technically it's not, but Philippa Soo won't win, so the best they can do is tie. I personally don't think they'll tie, I'm predicting 8-9 wins.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#58Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:02am

My two biggest rants are about NY1 cutting out all morning (arghhhh!) and Jonathan Groff getting in over someone deserving from another show. Hamilton's great, but it's enough already. There was SO much talent this season.

For the most part I'm pretty thrilled, though. Carmen Cusack and Spring Awakening getting in were my two big hopes. So happy for them!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#59Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:02am

The lack of nominations in the musical category for certain shows is not a surprise. The big tsunami swamped the competition pure and simple.

Poster Emeritus

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#60Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:03am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I'm also shocked that Christopher from Waitress got in, but not Gavin Creel nor Billy Porter. He came out of nowhere, but in a good way

"I am so thrilled hat he was nominated.  As usual, he gave a memorable performance...

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Jay94
#61Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:04am

The nominating committee clearly wanted to make Hamilton the most nominated show ever. I think the exclusivity and hype mean that it will win in every possible category, except maybe Actress in a Musical.

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#62Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:08am

You're right about the Billy Elliots. I still think they should recognize the band members though. They seems to do special things for kids (like sharing an award) and this seems to fit that profile.

JudyDenmark
#63Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:13am

BeNice said: "You're right about the Billy Elliots. I still think they should recognize the band members though. They seems to do special things for kids (like sharing an award) and this seems to fit that profile.

"

Well they'll all get to perform - so everyone will see how talented they are. That's an award in itself. 

Alex10
#64Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:22am

Add me to the list who's really sad about the lack of love for American Psycho, particularly Benjamin Walker. And although she wasn't a favorite to get nominated, I'm disappointed that Tavi Gevinson was left out. I absolutely loved her in The Crucible.

After Eight
#65Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:42am

"The nominating committee clearly wanted to make Hamilton the most nominated show ever."

And to make that record unreachable in the future. Once you're at that pinnacle, you've got to stay there forever.

"I think the exclusivity and hype mean that it will win in every possible category, except maybe Actress in a Musical."

I wouldn't count that one out either.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#66Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:46am

I'm sure that I'm in the minority here, but I thought Allegiance had a great book. I personally thought it should have beaten School of Rock which was basically a replica of the film.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#67Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 10:51am

Fully Committed was left out entirely. I'm glad Noises Off got the shout-out it deserved, but it would have been great to get a nod for JTF. I guess he can get it in 2018 when Act Of God is revived in summer 2017 with him.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#68Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:00am

I dont have a ton to rant about. But I would have liked Benjamin Walker in over Zachary Levi and I REALLLLLLLY wanted Krysta Rodriguez recognized her work as well as the rest of the spring awakening cast's work. Also, Chi Theatre Fan, I too am in Chicago!

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

neonlightsxo
#69Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:01am

American Psycho & Ben Walker. And Jessie Nelson's book.

JudyDenmark
#70Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:01am

Valentina3 said: "Fully Committed was left out entirely. I'm glad Noises Off got the shout-out it deserved, but it would have been great to get a nod for JTF. I guess he can get it in 2018 when Act Of God is revived in summer 2017 with him.

"

I feel terrible for him that he was left out - he's giving a hell of a performance up there. That said, I don't know who I would cut to make room. Too many really solid choices this season!

ChangingMyMajor
#71Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:03am

sng said: "Not enough noms for Hamilton!!!!!!

Is there any other category Hamilton could POSSIBLY be nominated for?

"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#72Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:04am

I'm okay with no recognition of the kids.....it gets to be a bit much: ooh kids in a show, give them an award.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ChangingMyMajor
#73Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:04am

sng said: "Complete snub for Allegiance Tony nom rants

My friend was really mad about that too.  If only it hadn't closed.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#74Tony nom rants
Posted: 5/3/16 at 11:06am

Sad that neither Ben Whishaw nor Nicola Walker were nominated but happy for all the Bright Star and School of Rock love, as well as the Noises Off! cast being remembered.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.