pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 2

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

VintageSnarker
#25Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/16 at 5:51pm

This is confusing, even for a speculation thread, because we don't even have a final list of the shows guaranteed to come to Broadway next season.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#26Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 6/13/16 at 5:52pm

Don't forget A Bronx Tale. Although I kind of think there's little to no demand for that show. But it could be like Bright Star and attempt to run through the Tonys.

buhbuhbilly Profile Photo
buhbuhbilly
#27Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/16 at 6:56am

Great Comet and Dear Evan Hanson will be in competition for all categories - I think Best Musical will ultimately go to Natasha.

funhamilton_rent
#28Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/16 at 11:38am

buhbuhbilly said: "Great Comet and Dear Evan Hanson will be in competition for all categories - I think Best Musical will ultimately go to Natasha.

"

You think so? I haven't seen either, but The Great Comet wasn't nearly as hyped about as Dear Evan Hansen.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#29Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/16 at 11:45am

funhamilton_rent said: You think so? I haven't seen either, but The Great Comet wasn't nearly as hyped about as Dear Evan Hansen.

It was on here. Everyone raves about The Great Comet, but Dear Evan Hansen seems to have a more mixed reaction. Not that that necessarily translates to Tony competitiveness.

Updated On: 6/14/16 at 11:45 AM

kreichelt
#30Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/16 at 11:56am

The reaction to Great Comet is definitely going to be mixed.  I loved it, my husband hated it.  It's weird, it is not typical Broadway.  I think it will do well, but it's going to be kind of a cult thing.  Hopefully, it won't go the way of under-valued American Psycho.

Dear Evan Hansen is so beautiful, and I think it's going to be a huge success.  I've seen both, and I'd give the Best Musical nod to Dear Evan Hansen.

As far as other awards go, if they do anything anywhere near as beautiful as what they did at the ART in Cambridge, there is no point in trying to compete with Great Comet on Best Set.

Costumes:  Great Comet with contention from Anastasia.

Awards to DEH:  Lead Actor for Platt and Featured Actress for Rachel Bay Jones.  

Denée Benton should be up for Lead Actress. 

Updated On: 6/14/16 at 11:56 AM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#31Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/16 at 2:24pm

I think I forgot to hypothetically nominate Come From Away because I can't recall literally anything about it in any way lol

VintageSnarker, last year's thread under this title was the same way. yeah, we don't know all of what is coming in but that doesn't prevent way too early predictions in my opinion.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

ChiTheaterFan
#32Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/16 at 2:28pm

Personally I found last year's thread hilarious over the last few months. Lots of people predicting wins for shows that never came or that flopped. I think it's a great idea because it's just for fun--too look back and see how wrong we ended up being. (And some of the people who are usually wrong turned out to be right!  :))

whatever2
#33Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/16 at 4:13pm

i LOVED Comet, but i'm not sure how well it will translate to a broadway house ... some of its magic was its immediacy.

(and the free vodka shots!)

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#34Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 6/14/16 at 4:32pm

The Play That Goes Wrong is fun, but it's not Best Play material (especially to anyone familiar with the Farnsdale Avenue series of plays).  It could have potential for set, direction and a featured actor, but it won't stand a chance for a Best Play win against any heavy-hitting dramas.

I've a feeling 2017 will be the year of the Comet.  It's coming in with a substantial amount of positive buzz.  Groban has a well-established fan base that will boost ticket sales for his Broadway debut.  And the reconfigured seating is the sort that audiences love and will possibly lead to a lot of positive word of mouth.  It's unconventional score is the only aspect I could see as being very divisive, but more for audiences (and probably Riedel) than for critics and award voters.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#35Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/1/16 at 1:45am

This is being brought up in the War Paint Chicago thread, but it's looking to be another killer year for Lead Actress. Bette Midler, Patti LuPone, Christine Ebersole, Denée Benton, Phillipa Soo, Christy Altomare... maybe Kristin Chenoweth? Sutton Foster? Stephanie J. Block? Wow, already.

Updated On: 7/1/16 at 01:45 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#36Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/1/16 at 3:02am

BroadwayConcierge said: "This is being brought up in the War Paint Chicago thread, but it's looking to be another killer year for Lead Actress. Bette Midler, Patti LuPone, Christine Ebersole, Denée Benton, Phillipa Soo, Christy Altomare... maybe Kristin Chenoweth? Sutton Foster? Stephanie J. Block? Wow, already.

If Midler is amazing as Dolly, I really don't see much competition there. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#37Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/1/16 at 11:57am

blaxx said: "If Midler is amazing as Dolly, I really don't see much competition there. "

Middler would be beyond amazing. But I already see a lot of competition. Natasha is a much meatier role than Dolly, with much more sophisticated singing. And based on War Paint's reviews - dude, that show is a sheer diva vehicle with fantastic (Tony fav) actors and songs.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

SFFrontRow
#38Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/1/16 at 12:06pm

Hamilton will get a waiver and win all the musical acting awards, book, and score.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#39Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/1/16 at 12:13pm

Dear Evan Hansen for Best Musical

Bette Middler for Best Leading Actress

Mary Beth Peil (????) for Best Supporting Actress

Natasha and the Great Comet for Best Scenic Design

Anastasia for Best Costumes

Would love to see John Bolton win as Vlad and he could depending on the competition.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#39Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/1/16 at 12:13pm

Dear Evan Hansen for Best Musical

Bette Middler for Best Leading Actress

Mary Beth Peil (????) for Best Supporting Actress

Natasha and the Great Comet for Best Scenic Design

Anastasia for Best Costumes

Would love to see John Bolton win as Vlad and he could depending on the competition.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#40Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/1/16 at 12:55pm

I think Dear Evan Hansen will be a big favorite with critiques ( as we saw at Arena and at 2ST) and voters/nominators. I think Ben Platt and Rachel Bay Jones are locks for nominations for their categories. Ben already has a high chance of winning and I am really hoping Rachel could too, assuming she's nominated. I can see Jennifer Laura Thompson getting nominated as well but there are obviously other shows and the nominators need to pick and choose. I know its wayyyyyy to early to be thinking this but if Ben and Rachel are nominated I can see them performing "Good For You" at the Tonys since its a big song that features both of them.

Updated On: 7/1/16 at 12:55 PM

AnnieBlack
#41Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/1/16 at 12:59pm

I have to agree with all the Dear Evan love- I personally loved it (and I adore Comet) but think it will be the one to beat... and don't forget how charming Pasek & Paul were back during the tony season with Christmas Story. There is a lot of good will towards those guys and I think you'll see that reflected in the awards.

shanphelia Profile Photo
shanphelia
#42Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/3/16 at 1:52pm

If Brittain Ashford is as heartbreaking & touching as Sonya in Great Comet on Bway as she was in the off Bway run, she should definitely get a nomination for Featured Actress. 

ebontoyan
#43Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/3/16 at 2:48pm

Miss Saigon will be in a few categories!

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#44Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/3/16 at 3:20pm

Ben Platt and Rachel Bay Jones are certainly locks for lead actor and featured actress.  Brittain Ashford will definitely be nominated for featured actress.  She's wonderful.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#45Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/4/16 at 4:05pm

Best Musical

Amelie or Anastasia

Dear Evan Hansen

Great Comet

War Paint

Lead Actress Musical

Denee Benton-GC

Christine Ebersole-WP

Patti Lupone-WP

Bette Midler-Dolly

Phillipa Soo-Amelie or Christy Altomare-Anastasia

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Ranger Tom
#46Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/4/16 at 4:14pm

Yes, WAY too early.  But I predict that thru some technicality they will figure out a way to let Hamilton run again.  

BeingAlive 2
#47Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/4/16 at 4:57pm

Will be interesting to see which Michael Greif musical gets more buzz- Dear Evan Hansen obviously has some tremendous buzz already, will probably win Best Actor, and is very relevant. That being said, War Paint is doing phenomenally well in Chicago right now. I could see it going either way. I know some have criticized Dear Evan Hansen's book  and that could give War Paint an edge but I can see its focus on social media, human connection, and focus on young people could give it more buzz and chance at winning. Or who knows maybe Natasha will gain traction. All fun speculation at this point. 

Updated On: 7/4/16 at 04:57 PM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#48Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 7/5/16 at 2:12am

Why are we so sure Bette Midler's going to be amazing? She hasn't done a musical in over 40 years, and her work on the big screen hasn't exactly been stellar. Plus, you know, she's getting up there in years.