Worst stage door experience

h6p8gv
#1Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/17/16 at 9:29pm

What is the worst stage door experience you have had?

playbill-love
#2Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/17/16 at 9:32pm

Really my only bad experiences have been because of weather or crowds. I waited at Glass Menagerie when it was extremely cold out and that made it uncomfortable but the actors who came out and signed (quickly) were very gracious. The most uncomfortable I've been was at First Date when there were, it seemed, thousands of fan girls of whatever tv show Zachary Levi is known for who pushed and screamed the entire time and made it miserable and impossible to pass your playbill to the front to get signed. 

Hairspray0901
#3Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/17/16 at 9:45pm

Went to the final performance of "A Month In The Country" starring Peter Dinklage and Taylor Schilling at classic Stage Company. Peter couldn't have been any nicer. Taylor however stood in the glass lobby looking at us (the crowd) outside with Jackie Cruz (one of her OITNB co stars). Their car pulled around and they came outside to maybe 6 of us at the most who were still waiting in the freezing cold. Jackie came out first and 2 people asked for a photo with her and she was very nice and posed with them (she wasn't even in the show). She was ready to sign stuff for another person and Taylor came out a few seconds later and headed straight for the car, looked at us and said to jackie "come on!!" And Jackie looked at us and was like "so sorry guys!!" And they both got into the car. Taylor was such a b*tch i couldn't get over it. I 100% get they're not obligated to sign autographs or communicate with the fans (believe me I really get it) but the fact that one of her co-stars from her Tv Show was willing to sign when she wasn't even in the show at CSC and that's how Taylor acted, I couldn't believe it. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#4Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/17/16 at 9:50pm

Hairspray0901 said: "Went to the final performance of "A Month In The Country" starring Peter Dinklage and Taylor Schilling at classic Stage Company. Peter couldn't have been any nicer. Taylor however stood in the glass lobby looking at us (the crowd) outside with Jackie Cruz (one of her OITNB co stars). Their car pulled around and they came outside to maybe 6 of us at the most who were still waiting in the freezing cold. Jackie came out first and 2 people asked for a photo with her and she was very nice and posed with them (she wasn't even in the show). She was ready to sign stuff for another person and Taylor came out a few seconds later and headed straight for the car, looked at us and said to jackie "come on!!" And Jackie looked at us and was like "so sorry guys!!" And they both got into the car. Taylor was such a b*tch i couldn't get over it. I 100% get they're not obligated to sign autographs or communicate with the fans (believe me I really get it) but the fact that one of her co-stars from her Tv Show was willing to sign when she wasn't even in the show at CSC and that's how Taylor acted, I couldn't believe it. 

"

Do you get it though?  That indicates that you don't get it at all, let alone 100% get it,

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Hairspray0901
#5Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/17/16 at 10:06pm

blaxx said: "Hairspray0901 said: "Went to the final performance of "A Month In The Country" starring Peter Dinklage and Taylor Schilling at classic Stage Company. Peter couldn't have been any nicer. Taylor however stood in the glass lobby looking at us (the crowd) outside with Jackie Cruz (one of her OITNB co stars). Their car pulled around and they came outside to maybe 6 of us at the most who were still waiting in the freezing cold. Jackie came out first and 2 people asked for a photo with her and she was very nice and posed with them (she wasn't even in the show). She was ready to sign stuff for another person and Taylor came out a few seconds later and headed straight for the car, looked at us and said to jackie "come on!!" And Jackie looked at us and was like "so sorry guys!!" And they both got into the car. Taylor was such a b*tch i couldn't get over it. I 100% get they're not obligated to sign autographs or communicate with the fans (believe me I really get it) but the fact that one of her co-stars from her Tv Show was willing to sign when she wasn't even in the show at CSC and that's how Taylor acted, I couldn't believe it. 

"

Do you get it though?  That indicates that you don't get it at all, let alone 100% get it,

"

Yes I do. I don't care that she didn't sign or take photos. I care that she insisted her friend stop signing / interacting and that she looked at us all and acted like we weren't standing there. It was rude and tacky; a simple wave to acknowledge actual people were standing there would have been nice. Ignoring people completely, that's what makes it my worst experience. We are all people. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#6Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/17/16 at 10:31pm

And yet, you don't get it. She doesn't owe you an acknowledgement, a greeting nor a smile. She can frown all she wants and ask her friend to hurry; as her life has nothing to do with yours. At all. She owes you nothing. You know who's rude?  You, for calling her a b***h because she didn't give you her time. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#7Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/17/16 at 10:33pm

This thread is now my worst stage door experience.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Notreallysilent 2
#8Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/17/16 at 11:50pm

One time when I was stage dooring spring awakening two people right next to the stage door were smoking weed. The entire area started  to smell really bad. 

valerie30582
#9Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/17/16 at 11:52pm

LizzieCurry said: "This thread is now my worst stage door experience.

I just did a spit take on this line LMAO

In my opinion, it's more the crowds that are the worst. I remember one day at the stage door for Heathers, an ignorant woman called Elle McLemore anorexic. Elle and the cast that were outside signing were shocked  and tried to push it off as a joke, but it just pissed me off so much; especially since Elle's probably one of the nicest actresses I've met at stage door. Another bad experience was a couple high school girls at the Newsies stage door literally shoving their playbills in Corey Cott's face, One of the programs actually smacked him in the face a few times. Don't even get me started about the Something Rotten stage door when the show first started...it was literally a zoo. 

Updated On: 6/18/16 at 11:52 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#10Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/17/16 at 11:57pm

The crowd for Idina after a concert in SF. No barricades, and if there was any security people present, they weren't doing enough). That was 6 years ago now, and I've successfully managed to avoid the Fanzels ever since. 

@z5
#11Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:47am

Notreallysilent 2 said: "One time when I was stage dooring spring awakening two people right next to the stage door were smoking weed. The entire area started  to smell really bad. 

"

Oh no! Not weed! My heart needs for you...

ChiTheaterFan
#12Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 1:05am

Here's mine. I did tell the theater. And I don't ever go to stage doors that are that crowded anymore. 

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?page=2&thread=1086994

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#13Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 2:40am

I met Anthony Rapp after If/Then and I'm not sure if it was because it was late or something, but he seemed very unenthusiastic. The crowd was nothing, it was in Chicago, not Broadway, so really it was about 20 people, no barricades needed. I've heard that he is usually very excited and nice at the stagedoor so it was a bit odd, he had a black hoodie with the hood up and wouldn't smile for photos. I get that they don't owe you a smile or a photo or really anything at the stagedoor, but my daughter was really disappointed after admiring him for a while.

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#14Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 2:51am

I've been fortunate to have overwhelmingly positive stage door experiences. When Norm Lewis was the Phantom, his driver asked everyone to get in an orderly line and promised that Norm would talk to everyone individually, so there was no need to crowd him. That's exactly what he did, posing cheerfully for photos and talking graciously to his fans at 11 p.m., after two shows that day. What a doll!

The same day, I took a nice photo of Christian Sebek (then Piangi) and sent it to him. He expressed effusive thanks and invited me to go on a backstage tour the next time I saw the show. I went about a year later, and he showed me around and introduced me to James Barbour. Christian is obviously a very nice guy.

Katie Travis (touring Christine) invited me backstage in Los Angeles after I interviewed her for a preview article. As cast members were posing for pictures, I wondered why a particular friend of theirs (who was also posing and talking to me in a very friendly manner) looked so familiar, until I realized I had been conversing with Sally Struthers.

I agree that performers do not owe the public anything but a good performance. Yet, when they treat their fans with kindness, the word gets around and helps make them popular. I'm sure the fans would rather support someone like Norm Lewis as opposed to a nose-in-the-air star who signs two autographs and gruffly says, "No more."

I suspect asking Broadway stars about their worst stage door experiences would yield answers that are more interesting than we the fans can provide. Worst stage door experience

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.
Updated On: 6/18/16 at 02:51 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#15Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 4:14am

Leaf Coneybear said: "I met Anthony Rapp after If/Then and I'm not sure if it was because it was late or something, but he seemed very unenthusiastic. The crowd was nothing, it was in Chicago, not Broadway, so really it was about 20 people, no barricades needed."

To be fair, he did just do a 2.5 hour show before all this, and seemingly signed and took photos for everyone?! If that's your worst stage door experience, it seems like you're doing OK. He came out, spoke with everyone, signed stuff, and took pictures... that seems beyond reasonable.

nsguy45 Profile Photo
nsguy45
#16Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 4:33am

Raquel Welch at the stage door of the Palace one evening at Woman of the Year. She walked through the large crowd wearing sunglasses and a big smile, totally ignoring everyone as she made her way to a waiting limo with her then husband behind her carrying a small dog.

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#17Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 8:27am

Kristin Chenoweth after her last Carnegie Hall concert.

The poor woman was so bombarded by screaming teenage girls that her body guard literally picked her up and put her in her car.  I don't think her feet touched the pavement once. I've never seen fans that rude (screaming, running to the car to take photos, etc.).  I was in the back observing.  I went home nauseous and made me never want to stage door again because in that moment I truly empathized how these people feel in those kinds of moments.  Makes me cringe every time I think about it.

Updated On: 6/18/16 at 08:27 AM

mpkie
#18Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:00pm

I was trying to think of a bad stage door experience, but most of them have been positive, with a handful that were neutral.

At Allegiance, there was a George Takei autograph hunter who came up to the stage door crowd and stood right next to me. To the right of the guy in front of me was another George Takei autograph hunter that he recognized. I don't believe either of them saw the show.

Right in the earshot of not only all the surrounding the fans but also the actors who were coming out of stage door, he started saying things about the show like, "I heard it was so bad. I heard it bombed." He had never seen the show. This guy's voice was booming. And he was just shouting it into my ear across me to the other autograph hunter as if I wasn't there. And also, "Who's that, who's that? Oh that's nobody" to actors he didn't know. !!!???

As a result of that, I left my spot by the stage door exit and neither my friend nor I got Lea Salonga's autograph, even though had I stayed, we would have -- the fan directly in front of me was really kind in passing up our playbills as actors came out. But I felt I couldn't take anymore getting shouted into the ear by a tactless [bleep].

George Takei did not even come out.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#19Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:05pm

I waited 16 hours at the stage door for the Spring Awakening revival cast and when they finally did come out, half of them just walked past me, like they didn't even hear what I was saying to them. 

Talk about rude. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#20Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:24pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I waited 16 hours at the stage door for the Spring Awakening revival cast and when they finally did come out, half of them just walked past me, like they didn't even hear what I was saying to them. 

Talk about rude. 

"

Yeah, but did they "sign"?  

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#21Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:27pm

That's the worst part. They just flashed gang signs at me or something. 

Updated On: 6/18/16 at 12:27 PM

LetTheSunshineIn2
#22Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:36pm

Lin-Manuel Miranda just tweeted that people chased his car for two avenues last night and that it's starting to get scary.  With the Ham4ham shows and everything else, he's treated fans of the show so well.  It's a same people can't return that favor and be gracious and respectful.  

spikethebunny Profile Photo
spikethebunny
#23Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:51pm

Mine was completely self-inflicted and had nothing to do with the actors or fans (I've honestly been very lucky at stage doors and have had wonderful interactions with both). 

Like a moron, I thought I'd stage door the Rapp/Pascal reunion tour after a snow storm...in Buffalo. I stood in snow halfway up my calves waiting with hundreds of other dummies like me. To my surprise, a lot of the cast (including Rapp) actually came out and signed. It was FREEZING, my feet were soaked, and by the time I got back to my hotel, my legs were scary white. But seriously, it was the worst cause it was cold, but it was also the best because those actors were generous enough to brave the elements and come say hi. 

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#24Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 12:57pm

They just flashed gang signs at me or something 

Are you sure they weren't signing to you in ASL? Some of the actors are actually deaf and actually may not have heard you, and tried to sign to let you know. 

Updated On: 6/18/16 at 12:57 PM

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#25Worst stage door experience
Posted: 6/18/16 at 1:05pm

Worst experiences, are for the poor actors. Having to come  out and face the sad hangers on at the stage door. Get a life!

Videos