pixeltracker

Sweet Charity - New Group- Page 3

Sweet Charity - New Group

Relevance81491
#50Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 12:14pm

When a friend of mine called this morning and asked about configuration, they told her there was a possibility of the center section seats being held for the general on sale (possibly premium/ major donor seats...) 

the rep also agreed with the concensus of this thread and said the first two rows wouldent be ideal seating 

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#51Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 12:17pm

Relevance81491 said: "When a friend of mine called this morning and asked about configuration, they told her there was a possibility of the center section seats being held for the general on sale (possibly premium/ major donor seats...) 

the rep also agreed with the concensus of this thread and said the first two rows wouldent be ideal seating 

"Did they say anything about the partial view seats?

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#52Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 12:31pm

I was checking the site this morning.

Looks like more of the cast has been announced. It doesn't state which roles they will play, though.
http://www.thenewgroup.org/sweet-charity.html

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#54Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 12:46pm

"Hensley will take on the role of Oscar; he won a Tony in 2002 for Oklahoma! and has gone on to appear in Waiting for Godot/No Man’s LandThe Whale and Young Frankenstein. Padgett, who will play Helene, last appeared on Broadway in Bright Star; her additional credits include Side ShowRock of Ages, Grease and Legally Blonde. Ghebremichael is set to play Nickie; she has appeared on stage previously in The Book of MormonLegally Blonde and Wicked. Perez can currently be seen on Broadway in Fun Home; he will take on the roles of Herman, Vittorio and Daddy Brubeck.

The company will also include Yesenia Ayala, Darius Barnes, James Brown III, Lori Ann Ferreri, Sasha Hutchings, Donald Jones Jr., Nikka Graff Lanzarone and Ryan Worsing."

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#55Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 1:07pm

Looks like a great cast!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#56Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 1:24pm

I knew they were going with a reduced sized cast, but that's really small.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#57Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 1:40pm

I love Shuler Hensley, but isn't he a little old opposite Sutton? I'm very curious to see how this all turns out, especially with classically big numbers like the Frug and "I'm A Brass Band"!

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#58Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 2:04pm

Sutton is 41 and Shuler is 49.

In the original Broadway production, Gwen Verdon was 41 and John McMartin was 37.

In the film, Shirley McLaine was 35 and John McMartin was 40.

In the 1986 revival, Debbie Allen was 36 and Michael Rupert was 35.

In the 2005 revival, Christina Applegate was 34 and Denis O'Hare was 43.

So, yes, it does appear that Shuler is older than most Oscars...but somewhat on par with the most recent Broadway revival.

Updated On: 8/9/16 at 02:04 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#59Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 2:28pm

Interesting that they're having one man play three of the featured roles, but it's not Charity's three lovers, as has been common in the West End.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#60Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 2:57pm

Wow, a white Helene and a black Nickie, that's a switch, but I'm sure it'll work fine. Is Emily a strong  dancer? 

Updated On: 8/9/16 at 02:57 PM

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#61Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 3:01pm

Yup! She lead the "Flashdance" tour, and understudied Cha Cha in "Grease," and Brooke in "Legally Blonde," three very heavy dance roles. Plus, she did some pretty cool dance stuff in "Bright Star"!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

VintageSnarker
#62Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 6:15pm

I'm not that excited about Shuler Hensley. He doesn't seem like the Oscar type... at least the sweet, nerdy vibe of John McMartin in the movie. I'm not sure about the rest of the announced cast since I don't know who most of them are playing.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#63Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 7:39pm

Yet another bare bones stripped down musical...with a smaller cast, too. At least the price (by today's standards) is right! 

orlikethecolorpurple
#64Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/9/16 at 11:38pm

Do we think seats are reserved for general on sale or could it very well sell out before next week? 

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#65Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/10/16 at 12:20am

I really want to get on this $40 deal, but I don't have an Amex Card and neither does any one I know. With this and the Falsettos LincTix debacle, it seems like I just can't get tickets to any show, for some reason. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#66Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/10/16 at 1:01am

Boo was really hoping to get a $40 seat, but I'm sure it will transfer. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#67Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/10/16 at 1:06am

Would have preferred Gavin as Oscar if they were looking at former co-stars. I'm having a hard time picturing Hensley as a neurotic.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#68Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/10/16 at 1:51am

Agreed. He's not exactly nebbish... but I guess we'll see...

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#69Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/10/16 at 12:30pm

darquegk wrote: "Interesting that they're having one man play three of the featured roles, but it's not Charity's three lovers, as has been common in the West End."

I remember Charley (sometimes called "Dark Glasses"Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale. at the very beginning, and Oscar, but who is Charity's third lover? Do you mean Vittorio?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#70Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/10/16 at 12:36pm

I imagine Hensley as Oscar coming off something like Philip Seymour Hoffman in the movie "Happiness." It will be different, at the least.

Gavin Creel as Oscar would be pretty two-dimensional, I think; he's charming and cute still, but not a particularly interesting or surprising an actor.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#71Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/10/16 at 4:31pm

Regarding Hensley - as Lord Oliver is reputed to have said to Dustin Hoffman:  "it's called acting"

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#72Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/10/16 at 4:39pm

...and why would anyone want to see a duplicate of a previous performance (even one as masterful as I'm sure McMartin's was)? Isn't it better to have a fresh take?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#73Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/10/16 at 7:40pm

newintown said: "darquegk wrote: "Interesting that they're having one man play three of the featured roles, but it's not Charity's three lovers, as has been common in the West End."

I remember Charley (sometimes called "Dark Glasses"Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale. at the very beginning, and Oscar, but who is Charity's third lover? Do you mean Vittorio?

"
That's all I can think of--and since when have they been multi-cast?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#74Sweet Charity - New Group, tix on sale.
Posted: 8/11/16 at 12:05pm

Mark Umbers played all three lovers in the 2009 London revival, for one.