Fun Home tour casting ?

isaac.evans
#25Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 11:31am

So excited about Kate! Also, I noticed it seems they're having an alternate for Small Alison?

BroadwayCrowdsourced - The New Rush Report: www.broadwaycrowdsourced.wordpress.com

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#26Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 11:49am

^ It sometimes is a cost effective thing to alternate children, especially on tours. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

trpguyy
#27Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 12:03pm

Yes. Some states, like California, have very strict child labor laws, sometimes making it very difficult for touring productions. Also, having a child on tour is a very big sacrifice for families. Being an alternate with guaranteed performances every week is much more attractive than being an understudy and maybe performing sometimes, therefore making the casting process a little easier as well.

Updated On: 8/16/16 at 12:03 PM

DontTellPaul2 Profile Photo
DontTellPaul2
#28Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 12:19pm

Is anyone else consistently underwhelmed by Kate Shindle's acting? The voice is stellar, yes. But the acting choices...? I just can't seem to forget her dreadful pseudo-psychotic performance in Wonderland.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#29Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 12:23pm

DontTellPaul2 said: "Is anyone else consistently underwhelmed by Kate Shindle's acting? The voice is stellar, yes. But the acting choices...? I just can't seem to forget her dreadful pseudo-psychotic performance in Wonderland.

"

I mean, it's not like WONDERLAND is the vehicle for one to show off her optimal range...

I've seen Shindle in a bunch of shows and a few industry readings. I've always found her very winning. She remains one of my favorite Sally Bowles, vocally and dramatically. I think she'll be great here.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

DontTellPaul2 Profile Photo
DontTellPaul2
#30Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 12:27pm

"I mean, it's not like WONDERLAND is the vehicle for one to show off her optimal range..."

Sure, that's fair. I've seen her in several shows as well, and have always been far more impressed with her vocals than anything else. Wonderland was just the worst performance I've seen from her. That show was a travesty on its own, but the majority of the cast gave great performances despite the lack of quality material.

sowren1020 Profile Photo
sowren1020
#31Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 1:46pm

I can't wait to see what Robert Petkoff will do with this role in Fun Home. The recent video of Ragtime on Ellis  Island where he sang Tateh so beautifully was so great to watch. 

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#32Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 2:41pm

The 2009 revival of Ragtime was such a highlight to me, and Robert Petkoff as Tateh was definitely one of those numerous highlights involved with that production. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#33Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 8/16/16 at 3:10pm

broadwayboy223 said: "Am I the only one who thinks Kate is a weird choice? I love her and I'm sure it will be great but she's definitely not the first person i would have thought of. I hope this gets recorded though. I'm curious to she how she'll handle it 

"

Very odd, but as others have said, the more I think about it the more it sounds like a good idea. I have only seen her live once, on tour in Cabaret and I remember having no idea who she was and being nervous when her main credit on the program was Miss Ameruca but she was, of course, wonderful. 

I am more concerned how this will play in some of those large venues. 

Updated On: 8/16/16 at 03:10 PM

Shakeshafte
#34Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 8/17/16 at 1:46pm

Last saw Robert Petkoff as Sweeney Todd at Denver in April - he was incredible. Looking forward to seeing him do Fun Home!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#35Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 9/11/16 at 12:50am

I know it's hard to say right now, but what does everyone think the chances are that this is on the road for more than a year? I would love to catch it, but sadly the two closest places are still far, and it's coming to them when I know I won't have the time to make a trip. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#36Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 9/19/16 at 3:45pm

Not much going on in the article apart from cast pictures, but I'm very happy about this tour. Hope I get to catch this. Kate Shindle can blow the roof off off any theater.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#37Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 9/20/16 at 1:06pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Kate Shindle seems like the commercial version of a butch lesbian for Middle America audiences.

"Right. Because us "Middle American" bumpkins can't handle "butch lesbians."

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#38Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 9/21/16 at 3:20pm

These new set pictures designed for a traditional proscenium stage are gutting me. I miss Fun Home being at Circle On The Square so much already.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#39Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 9/21/16 at 3:25pm

This is super weird to look at, but I'm still looking forward to seeing the tour!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#40Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 9/21/16 at 3:28pm

Very similar to the Off-Broadway set at the Public which I also got to see, but I do agree the in-the-round set was just incredible.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#41Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 9/22/16 at 12:11pm

The brick wall Our Town-y thing -- is that the stationary look for the show, with the walls of the house's living room/parlor added for the penultimate sequence, as per the Circle look?  I'm wondering how it will all look in larger theaters, this stylized minimalism.  The show would suffer from excessive design.  But this is leaner than I expected.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#42Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 9/22/16 at 3:24pm

It looks like they are simply reverting back to the design of the Public Theater production.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#43Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 9/22/16 at 4:31pm

I think the weakest part of the staging at the Public was that it felt like adult Alison was stuck in the corner for most of the show. I know that may not really be the case, but it seemed that way in retrospect; she didn't make nearly the impression she did at Circle in the Square. Hopefully they can correct that to some extent for the tour.

Like most people, I preferred the Broadway staging. But the Public version did have a few small advantages. I think Bruce and Helen were onstage for their argument leading into "Raincoat of Love," which gave that moment a more interesting, surreal feel. The big reveal of the Bechdel house, when Joan comes to visit, was much more dramatic. And - most importantly to me - that one drawing from the graphic novel was projected on the rear wall at the very end, when Alison talks about rising above her father. (They did project this image onto the stage at Circle in the Square during the curtain call, but it wasn't nearly as powerful to me.)

Updated On: 9/22/16 at 04:31 PM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#44Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 9/22/16 at 6:25pm

I actually thought the full reveal of the house for Joan was spellbinding at Circle, because it came from below and above.  It was subtle(r), to be sure, but it was breathtaking the way it just filled in the floor.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

LizzieCurry
#45Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 10/4/16 at 5:19pm

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/05/theater/union-boss-and-former-miss-america-hits-the-road-in-fun-home.html

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#46Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 10/4/16 at 7:30pm

Anyone been yet? Curious to hear impressions of the cast and staging! 

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#47Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 10/4/16 at 7:33pm

I'm curious to hear how Abby Corrigan is doing as Middle Alison. Based on what I can find, she's fresh out of high school and this is her first professional theatre gig. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#48Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 10/4/16 at 7:37pm

Why did they give Shindle a less butch costume? 

LizzieCurry
#49Fun Home tour casting ?
Posted: 10/4/16 at 8:11pm

broadwayboy222 said: "Anyone been yet? "

It starts tonight, so no.