pixeltracker

Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!- Page 4

Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#75Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 9:37am

Maybe grounded. She was talking about virtual reality a ton.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#76Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 9:39am

Kind of reminds me of Michael Cimino who did The Deer Hunter. United Artists gave him a blank check after that. As a result , the studio went out of business and he brought us Heavens Gate

Poster Emeritus

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#77Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 10:11am

neonlightsxo said: "Julie Taymor is not directing Frozen.

"

Someone get Julie on the phone NOW!  

I can only imagine what she would do with Olaf, the ice effects, palace, etc.  ... or would that be designers in charge of how the set looks?   

Anyways, I enjoyed the Spider-Man sets (sans inflatable wrestler) and the sets for Lion King, so I'm asking Ms. Taymor be involved asap. 

Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN! Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN! Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!  

neonlightsxo
#78Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 10:19am

"so I'm asking Ms. Taymor be involved asap. "

Oh. OK. If you're asking.

trpguyy
#79Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 10:30am

PopAria said: "
I can only imagine what she would do with Olaf, the ice effects, palace, etc.  ... or would that be designers in charge of how the set looks?"

That is why they're called designers. Though of course it doesn't happen in a bubble, it's a collaboration with the director and other designers; but sometimes there's not much collaboration at all *cough cough* Spiderman.

JennH
#80Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 11:26am

"I've liked the Liesl Tommy plays I've seen but has she ever directed a musical?"

You mean other than the awkward, near travesty of the DCA Frozen? No, not that I'm aware of. Hence why I said she needs be kept FAR away. 

Mantello...yeah he has experience with big spectacles now, but he's not hurting for money, so I can see him passing on this. He did Wicked once, I don't think he would want to do it again...what we all know is a Disneyfied Wicked. I want something new myself. 

As for that Taymor article...I nearly had a happy heart attack...but if she saying NEXT year, I don't think it's Frozen...the timeline doesn't seem to fit what she's talking about, especially if she's talking about Broadway itself for next year and Frozen doesn't come to NYC until 2018 as well all know. And it seems she's clueing us in with that talk of phones and virtual reality. 

I can see where Timbers maybe wanted to 'reinvent the wheel' and Dosney didn't like it. I totally buy that. But I'll say again, it needs REWORKING and REWRITING. Not a whole reinvention. That why i still think Taymor would be the best choice. She reworked what needed to be reworked for LK, thought out of the box, but it's still works wonderfully on stage, AND it's still the brilliant movie we know and love. The movie was already brilliant. Frozen is not. Since it's not starting as something already good, it NEEDS reworking. A lot. to reinventing. Just a lot of reworking. 

My second choice is still Brokaw with Ivey Long costumes.

nycgogetter
#81Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 9:42pm

With a change in directors there will most likely be a change in the timeline - and perhaps going back to the drawing board with designs.  The director switched happened after a technical workshop . . . so something in the vision of the show by the same team was probably not working.

jessepp Profile Photo
jessepp
#82Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 9:55pm

Replacement:  Michael Arden

...is a puzzlement.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#83Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 10:20pm

Liesl Tommy has done musicals besides the Disneyland Frozen--she did a big production of Les Miz a couple years back that was really surprising and very well received.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#84Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 10:21pm

Timbers was an interesting choice for sure. He tends to like low-tech shows, but high concept and relies a lot on lighting. Rocky was a big show, and he pulled it off okay, but Frozen is expected to run for 15+ years. I'm sure they don't want any hesitation. The show doesn't require a ton of "thinking." But I'd love to see what Matthew Warchus would create. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#85Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 11:12pm

Plot twist: the new director is Scott Schwartz

broadwayboy223
#86Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/5/16 at 11:19pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Plot twist: the new director is Scott Schwartz

"

I just barfed in my mouth. Truly an awful director 

belrowley
#87Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 1:34am

I'm still so upset about Schwartz's work on Hunchback. I'm sure Disney is too.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#88Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 2:04am

A thin, blonde, white actress walks on stage and stops at center. She looks at the audience, and takes a snowball from the ground. She smears it on her face. Snow falls from the grid. Bells ring. Fifteen white people and two people of color surround her. They, too, smear snow on her face. She puts a snowflake in her hair. She is now Elsa. 

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#89Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 2:38am

degrassifan said: "How about Matthew Bourne? 

"

Will never happen, but that would be incredible. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#90Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 7:08am

As long as Taymor isn't writing the book/libretto then I'm sure she'd be fabulous. She only gets into trouble when she tries to be a writer. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#91Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 7:16am

Jennifer Lee is the playwright, which is so cool. Can't wait to see how she develops her own movie even farther. 

I really wondered what went wrong with Timbers since they were getting pretty far with the show. I would love to see Casey Nicolaw, Julie Taymor, or Diane Paulus direct the show. I just hope we're getting it on time. 

JennH
#92Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 12:22pm

Sauja said: "Liesl Tommy has done musicals besides the Disneyland Frozen--she did a big production of Les Miz a couple years back that was really surprising and very well received.

"

I completely forgot about that so I stand corrected. I do remember that one, and though I'm not a huge fan of a completely reinvented new takes on SUPER established material, I saw clips form that one, and it worked. It was kinda brilliant actually. But again, that's her niche, super heavy political pieces. Les Mis is certainly that, and her vision fit with her stylistic niche. Obviously Disney doesn't get all that super heavy or dark unless it's Hunchback or Pocahontas. Frankly, now that I think about it, her Hunchback could have been brills too...damn. Don't worry, belrowley, most people are disappointed with that Hunchback. AND GOOD GRIEF NO SCOTT ON THIS!! That was not even funny, BITE YOUR TONGUE AGAIN!! (Ok it was amusing, but still...since Stephen has no attachment to this, there will be no Scott. I can only hope).

"Timbers was an interesting choice for sure. He tends to like low-tech shows, but high concept and relies a lot on lighting." 

THAT is actually why I thought Timbers COULD be good. Not perfect, but good. I've said it a million times, Frozen=crazy lighting shenanigans everywhere. I don't know how anyone currently still involved WOULDN'T be able see this in their vision. It just...GAH! Timbers may no longer be attached anymore, but please let them see the light (pun possibly intended). I once again compare to Wicked. Wicked works with more sets and practical effects, because not only is Elphaba's magic general in nature, but it's not THE biggest plot catalyst, not do we really SEE it all that often throughout the show. Quirky designed show, but still on the traditional side in it's presentation. Elsa's magic is a huge plot catalyst (duh) and we see it A TON. Hence the need for a more abstract design and presentation. I just can't see too many actual physical sets and practical effects working for it. Which I do like the DCA show for, it's less presentational and more abstract, and it works, but that's about it. I feel a need for a mix of all kinds of things, are what's needed-practical, psysical, projections...this will interesting indeed.

And I'm actually scared for Jenn doing anything with her own book...because of that, it's obvious because much of the original scenes and dialogue will remain as intact as possible when the same screenwriter writes their own book for the stage adaptation. She needs to understand what's is needed for this to work on stage is NOT what is written in the film, and I don't think she's written for the stage before either. The films' flow is less than stellar already, but that awkward screenplay will certainly not flow or read well on stage, the DCA show proves that. And for the love of heaven she needs to rid the script of the 'modernisms'...those have never NOT bothered me. It's obvious her writing the book isn't changing, but I hope someone leads her right about what works on stage, and as I've said WAY too many times...it NEEDS re working/re writing, not just for what works on a stage (those last few scenes are going to be SO awkward to stage well or watch if they're not rewritten/reconceived) but also for a story that's ACTUALLY compelling and not so shallow. That untapped potential is still there...please dig deeper. 

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#93Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 1:34pm

What about John Tiffany? Have we mentioned him yet? Definitely works well with stage magic, unique designs and get wonderful performances from his performers. Also great at translating movies/books to the stage.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#94Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 2:00pm

Tiffany will most likely be occupied with Harry Potter

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#95Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 2:18pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Tiffany will most likely be occupied with Harry Potter"

At first, I thought the same thing. But they're simply restaging it. I can't imagine this will take up a good deal of his time.

AEA AGMA SM
#96Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 3:07pm

theatregoer3 said: "BroadwayNYC2 said: "Tiffany will most likely be occupied with Harry Potter"

At first, I thought the same thing. But they're simply restaging it. I can't imagine this will take up a good deal of his time.
"

Even when "simply" restaging something it is still a huge time commitment, especially on a project the size of Cursed Child. Not that he couldn't do it, since we're still only looking at vague time-lines for both projects at this point so we don't know how they may or may not conflict with each other, but once Cursed Child is ready to move it will indeed take up a good deal of his time.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#97Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 4:39pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "Even when "simply" restaging something it is still a huge time commitment, especially on a project the size of Cursed Child. Not that he couldn't do it, since we're still only looking at vague time-lines for both projects at this point so we don't know how they may or may not conflict with each other, but once Cursed Child is ready to move it will indeed take up a good deal of his time."

I agree but that mammoth commitment is likely only in the range of 10-12 weeks at most so it would be possible to schedule for both. That said, I have no idea if he is on the radar, and to be honest I don't really care who directs it.

Shaunthedog
#98Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 6:58pm

Has any Disney productions been good?

Jingjo2 Profile Photo
Jingjo2
#99Alex Timbers has Departed FROZEN!
Posted: 8/6/16 at 10:18pm

I VOTE RACHEL CHAVKIN!! Despite the fact that she has like 15 shows going on right now.