pixeltracker

THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews- Page 2

THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 1:28am

Haven't seen this, but I hate the notion that audiences today won't comprehend or be interested in things that aren't modern. Like, WTF. So if Chekov references snapchat, then suddenly we'll be all about it? Like, c'mon. Look at the success of King and I or South Pacific, etc. They didn't change a word of it, and it was a smashing success. We're all smarter than that. 

belrowley
#26THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 2:57am

I was disappointed that this will production will close before my trip, but perhaps that's for the best. What a bummer though - the production sounded marvelous on paper. Hopefully things will tighten up during previews.

¿Macavity?
#27THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 3:01am

Roundabout is really off to a bad start this season...

Updated On: 9/16/16 at 03:01 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#28THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 4:11am

In NY1 On Stage's coverage of The Cherry Orchard during their Fall Season Preview, David Cote mentioned that Roundabout hasn't had a great track record when it comes to Chekhov.

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#29THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 4:32am

¿Macavity? said: "Roundabout is really off to a bad start this season...

"

Last year they weren't off to a good start either - Thérese Raquin and Old Times didn't exactly inspire critical praise.

10086sunset
#30THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 7:32am

I'm still scratching my head over the experience of seeing this last night.  It was one of the worst theater experiences I've had.

The source material and the new adaption do not gel. The adaption does not enhance the play, it distracts from it.  As mentioned by Whizzer and Sauja, the direction was all over place. 

This felt like a preview. I don't believe they were ready to go up.  It simply didn't feel like the majority of the cast were comfortable up there.

I was hard pressed to find one character who was likable. 

The previous comments regarding Lane from Sauja and Cooper echoing Jackie Hoffman from Dave1606 are pinpoint perfect. I also found John Glover exhausting. Perrineau really seemed to be having trouble with his lines in the first act.

The 2.5 hour runtime felt like 6. 

There were quite a number of empty seats at the start of the second act. Scanning the crowd that stayed, I also observed more than a few people closing their eyes and napping.

The drag racing taking place on 43rd street didn't help the situation.  It could be heard in the first act but became ridiculous in the second act, especially during the last 30 minutes. At first, some thought it was a sound effect designed by the production. It was a true distraction.

I hope the cast and play find better footing during the preview period.

Updated On: 9/16/16 at 07:32 AM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#31THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 7:45am

Thank you so much to everyone (except After Eight) for weighing in with your impressions here. I’m in the process of trimming a 10-show list down to a 3-show list, and these reviews have made chopping this one easy.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES
Updated On: 9/16/16 at 07:45 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#32THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 7:56am

Sunset- was that drag racing? I couldn't figure out if it was a sound effect or coming from outside. For a while I thought it was the sound of chainsaws in the orchard. Maybe you were just thinking about how much you were missing Drag Race by being at the show last night! :) 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

After Eight
#33THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 8:29am

"It was one of the worst theater experiences I've had."

That's how I felt about the adaptor's two previous opuses. He's really on a tear.

"The drag racing taking place on 43rd street didn't help the situation.  It could be heard in the first act but became ridiculous in the second act, especially during the last 30 minutes. At first, some thought it was a sound effect designed by the production."

I thought it was part of the production, as well. An ominous presence, as it were. Of course, the production itself was an ominous presence, as it was! 

And so now they allow drag racing on 43rd Street?

Updated On: 9/16/16 at 08:29 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#34THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 8:30am

As I've given up on seeing a good production of Chekhov in New York, I have no plans to see this, particularly after the Roundabout's fiasco of a Three Sisters back in 97. (I did enjoy the all-star Seagull in the park years ago, but I enjoyed it the way one enjoys a three ring circus where the tent collapses during the last act.)

The major problem with Americans doing Chekhov is that they seem to believe, oddly, that late 19th Century Russia was, except for clothes and furniture, exactly like contemporary America - or rather, that these plays are "timeless." One can argue that there are things that these people care about that we still care about today - love, power, money, reputation. But the manner in which they cared, and they way they lived with these cares, was radically different. Chekhov was writing about a time and a race that were exceptionally different from us.

Unfortunately, this approach to Chekhov is necessary, because most audiences have little to no interest in seeing a world different from the little one they inhabit, and "history" is just uncool.

Regarding the use of "translation" for Karam's approach to this, clearly the word choice is wrong. If phrases like "lipstick on a pig" are being interpolated, this is an "adaptation" - that is, someone else's version of Chekhov's play (which translations all end up being anyway).

Updated On: 9/16/16 at 08:30 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#35THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 8:34am

Regarding the "drag racing" mentioned above - Chekhov's own stage directions note that the audience hears the orchard being cut down throughout the last act. Although I do doubt that chain saws were intended.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#36THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 8:50am

newintown said: "Regarding the use of "translation" for Karam's approach to this, clearly the word choice is wrong. If phrases like "lipstick on a pig" are being interpolated, this is an "adaptation" - that is, someone else's version of Chekhov's play (which translations all end up being anyway)."

Roundabout IS billing it as an adaptation.

10086sunset
#37THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 8:57am

WhizzerMarvin said: "Sunset- was that drag racing? I couldn't figure out if it was a sound effect or coming from outside. For a while I thought it was the sound of chainsaws in the orchard. Maybe you were just thinking about how much you were missing Drag Race by being at the show last night! :) "

HA! Whizzer, you figured it out:)

I exited on 43rd street and saw three motorcycles revving their engines as they went down the block...Apparently it was a combination of both...There were sound effects used for cutting down the orchard but they were "enhanced" by the street noise...

I was sitting in row L, right center aisle and I could barely hear Diane Lane for the last 20-30 minutes...

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#38THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 9:27am

I think there were only one or two brief uses of the chainsaw sound effect, but it's hard to say given the distractions from outside. I was right against the 43rd street side of the theater and can say with some certainty that 99% of the noise was coming from the motorcycles outside. Exiting the theater, the smell of burned rubber was in the air. It certainly didn't help the production that there was so much distraction from outside, but...greater issues were the real downfall.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#39THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 9:36am

Seeing this tomorrow afternoon....trying to remain hopeful!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#40THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 11:27am

It was curious re: the chainsaw effect as chainsaws weren't around at the time, but knowing the "chopping" sound effect was supposed to take place then I just assumed the noises were a bizarre choice by the director.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#41THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 11:27am

I'm seeing this in a few weeks... I was hoping that Karam could give a nice adaptation of the material, the way Annie Baker did with Uncle Vanya.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#42THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 12:43pm

I'm seeing it Tuesday - I'm re-reading my copy of the original play (translated, of course) and I'm saddened at the reports. However, I'm still (tentatively) looking forward to it.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#43THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 12:56pm

There's nothing wrong with adaptation per se.  It can be good or bad.  Lipstick on a pig?  Hmm?  Does Karam want the audience to think about McCain, Obama and Palin?

Strongly disagree with Newintown that the typical problem with Americans, or Brits for that matter, and Chekhov is that we treat him as of today or timeless.  Rather, these plays are almost always botched in the English speaking theatre by a misplaced dry reverence and a lack of humor and soul that Chekhov certainly never intended.  If anything, I would think this affected style is a misguided effort to portray a false Chekhovian world, thick with a past we are wrongly conditioned to believe his work represents.  This effort hardly rejects the historic.  It just gets it wrong.

Updated On: 9/16/16 at 12:56 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#44THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 1:05pm

I just consulted my copy of the Mamet adaptation. His line is "perfume on a pig." Stoppard used "like a pig in a parlor". So Karam's "lipstick on a pig" is not that far afield.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

neonlightsxo
#45THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 1:11pm

Sad to hear this from many people I respect. Oh well. Hope it improves a little bit by the end of the month.

mamaleh
#46THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 1:42pm

Saw this production last night.  Sadly, I must agree with the naysayers.  The direction was all over the place. For me, Glover was the standout as he was about the only actor who elocuted perfectly and maintained a vibrant sense of character.  And what the heck was going on with the costuming in Act II?  Those who walked out during intermission (including my daughter) missed a WTF discussion on that point.  I willed myself to stay awake, but I think my time would have been better spent catching a few z's, as did some of those sitting around me.  So disappointing.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#47THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 1:44pm

I remember taking a class in undergrad where we read The Cherry Orchard. My professor said that too many productions of The Cherry Orchard, and other productions of Chekhov's works, focus on loss and thus the tone is always on sadness. They almost never get the humor or full-faceted humanity right.

neonlightsxo
#48THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/16/16 at 1:48pm

^ Yes, I had several professors say that. I believe Cherry Orchard is supposed to be a comedy, according to Chekhov.

wolfwriter2
#49THE CHERRY ORCHARD Previews
Posted: 9/17/16 at 1:38am

What in the world is Roundabout thinking? This may not be the worst thing I've ever seen, but it is certainly the worst production of Chekhov, I have ever seen (and I walked out of the Cate Blanchett, Uncle Vanya travesty).

I agree that Whizzer is being way too generous. My companion leaned over and whispered to me "am I missing the funny?" I replied, "No, they are."

I love Diane Lane and most of the cast I've seen before and enjoyed, but their direction was as though they all rehearsed separately, with different directors and, met for the first time, on stage. A true waste of talented actors.

The lighting is just annoying and sometimes, noticeably weird. 

Those costumes (especially the party scene). Did they raid a thrift shop garbage can? They are ugly and make no sense, irrespective of how "modern" they think this version is.

Chainsaws, running shoes, velcro and other fun anachronisms, litter this mess and make it, at times, laughable.

And, that brings me to the root of the problem. Stephen Karam, is almost totally to blame. The cast can't perform his adaption and the director has nothing to direct, because he gives them nothing to work with. At times, it seemed as though the cast simply learned the lines and recited them, with no depth or meaning (except Tavi Gevinson, about whom, the less said, the better). I agree that John Glover was about the only one who squeaked out a character. At one point, I was thinking I would have preferred a version in Russian with subtitles.

After the boredom of Holiday Inn, this wasn't so much boring as it was, dreadful. Roundabout is not off to an auspicious start, this season. I hope it gets better from here.