HEDWIG TOUR

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#325HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/17/17 at 11:28pm

Just caught the tour here in Chicago and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Prior I didn't even think I was going to end up going. Rock just isn't something that suits me, but boy was I wrong. Euan probably gave the most heart wrenching performance that I've ever seen, yes I'm young. Hannah Coreneau was remarkable and it was funny when the character sang I will always love you, since the bodyguard played the same theatre a month ago. Its also nice to see her back on a Chicago area stage. The show was just chocked full of emotion and nearly cried from laughter or sadness. It's such a daring piece of theatre and I'm glad it's still being performed to this day.

Just one tiny quibble, I nearly lost my sight from that light design, but it was still remarkable nonetheless. 

A couple questions:

Have they implemented that platform trick at every stop? It just seems interesting they have a set piece that needs a trap room on a tour. 

Have people been walking out at performances? There were probably five walkouts at tonight's performance, of course I was in the orchestra so I can't count for the balcony. The two that stood out were two elderly couples. They may have been subscribers, but please read about the show before going to see it just to walk out. The first couple walked out during angry inch so it was really funny.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#326HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/18/17 at 2:42am

Call_me_jorge said: "Have they implemented that platform trick at every stop? It just seems interesting they have a set piece that needs a trap room on a tour. "

If you're referring to the platform used during "Wicked Little Town (Reprise)," it's a simple scissor-lift kept under the car. Doesn't rely on trap doors at all.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

yourheartcansing
#327HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/18/17 at 12:53pm

I heard of walkouts in Detroit as well, though didn't personally see any due to being closer to the stage than they must have been (mostly had seats side orch third row or closer) Season ticket holders who clearly must not have read any descriptions most likely. 

And as the person above said, they use the lift in every city I believe. Not quite as impressive as the one used on Broadway, but glad they figured a way to still kinda fit it in. 

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#328HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/18/17 at 2:56pm

I saw it last week in Chicago and probably had about 15 walkouts. Seems like subscribers who didn't really know what they were in for, ha ha. Mostly middle aged couples, although the elderly couple next to me loved it. 

whizzer_wins Profile Photo
whizzer_wins
#329HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/19/17 at 1:36pm

Is Hedwig doing BCEFA donations?

Nycat63
#330HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/19/17 at 1:54pm

whizzer_wins said: "Is Hedwig doing BCEFA donations?

They were last Sunday. "

whizzer_wins Profile Photo
whizzer_wins
#331HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/19/17 at 1:58pm

Nycat63 said: "whizzer_wins said: "Is Hedwig doing BCEFA donations?

They were last Sunday. "

"

Do you know what they had and prices, if you don't mind me asking?

Nycat63
#332HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/19/17 at 2:13pm

whizzer_wins said: "Nycat63 said: "whizzer_wins said: "Is Hedwig doing BCEFA donations?

They were last Sunday. "

"

Do you know what they had and prices, if you don't mind me asking?

I know they had signed posters and drumsticks, and possibly other stuff but didnt specify prices in the speech (or what the other stuff was).  Hannah gave the speech - it seemed like perhaps Euan normally does but he was sick (in the show but clearly unwell) bc I noticed her asking him if he wanted her to talk.  We just donated into the buckets (I had hoped the band members would be holding the buckets but they weren't) so I didn't stop to check prices.  Sorry I don't know more but they definitely had items in exchange for donations at concessions.  

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#333HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/19/17 at 5:37pm

Saw this twice during its run in Chicago. Of the 12 or so Hedwigs I've seen since the original OB production, this is by far the best (other than JCM). Euan sounded amazing. Easily the best sung Hedwig.

They were selling cast-signed posters for $60, Euan-signed sunglasses for $100, and at one of the shows, Yitzhak said she was selling signed butterflies from her finale dress.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#334HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/19/17 at 10:14pm

Signed poster in chicago was 40.  Sunglasses 100. drumsticks were fifty or sixty i think.  Do not recall the butterfly price but poster was least expensive

TheBrightestStar Profile Photo
TheBrightestStar
#335HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/20/17 at 2:48pm

I bought the butterfly after Saturday night's performance.  It was 60, and Hannah signed the back of it. 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#336HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/20/17 at 3:06pm

I saw the show last week and perhaps I was spoiled by NPH and Lena Hall.  I though Euan sang the role perfectly, but I found his dialogue to be quite dull by comparison.  Everything seemed so deliberate and lacking in spontaneity.  When he sang, he was ON, but in-between, it felt forced and rote.  Also, the sound quality wasn't as sharp as the Broadway production as the lyrics were almost completely unintelligible for the majority of the show.  The visual effect of the finale (my FAVORITE part of the Broadway production) was also hugely lacking.  Perhaps there was a malfunction or something, but the confetti was sparse, almost non-existent, with an occasional CLUMP plopping onto the stage.  It all just felt...off.  Hannah was pretty good, but didn't capture the more convincing and startling androgynous quality that earned Lena Hall a well-deserved Tony.  I still loved the show and for those who hadn't seen it on Broadway, I hope this tour still managed to provide the exuberance and energy I felt when seeing it for the first time.

I noticed one elderly couple in the Mezzanine walk out just before Wig in a Box and NOBODY upstairs waved their arms at the end.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#337HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/20/17 at 3:48pm

I completely agree with Mister Matt. The show wasn't "tight", I actually got bored during some of the dialogues and I have never gotten bored during any of my previous Hedwigs (NPH, Rannells, JCM). I missed only a little bit of lyrics but a lot of dialogues because of Euan's forced accent. One of my big problems was the lighting during the sudden heavy rock/angry songs. The strobe kinda lights framing the stage were blinding me, and they're typically used after very darkly lit scenes (probably intentionally) which made the affect even more jarring. It's still a pretty show, and Tits Of Clay is absolutely brilliant.

Sidenote - Oriental theater is MASSIVE. I had never been there before and it's honestly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#338HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/20/17 at 6:51pm

Valentina3 said: "Sidenote - Oriental theater is MASSIVE. I had never been there before and it's honestly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in."

Seeing Hedwig in a barn is never a good idea.  I've seen this tour in smaller houses, all over the States and it's worked much better overall.  This show was never designed for the spaces it's currently being shoehorned into.  

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#339HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/20/17 at 8:41pm

I can't speak about other houses it was in, because I only saw in Belasco and Oriental - but I don't think that was the problem here. The production is designed to be big, the backstory with Hurt Locker works and works well. It's essentially a rock concert which also lends itself well given how rock concerts today are usually that big, if not bigger.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

pg1287
#340HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/20/17 at 9:02pm

Having seen the tour in both Detroit and Chicago I have noticed that "Angry Inch" is usually the song that triggers most of the walk outs. Saw 2-3 couples leave in Detroit and 4-5 leave in Chicago. I have also had the pleasure of seeing both Euan and Mason go on as Hedwig, and to be honest I actually enjoyed the standby Mason a bit more. Hopefully he gets to go on a few more times before the tour ends.

yourheartcansing
#341HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/20/17 at 9:43pm

pg1287 said: "Having seen the tour in both Detroit and Chicago I have noticed that "Angry Inch" is usually the song that triggers most of the walk outs. Saw 2-3 couples leave in Detroit and 4-5 leave in Chicago. I have also had the pleasure of seeing both Euan and Mason go on as Hedwig, and to be honest I actually enjoyed the standby Mason a bit more. Hopefully he gets to go on a few more times before the tour ends.

"

i didn't want to say it before since everyone was so hyped on Euan but I also preferred Mason overall tbh. Euan was great, his singing was fantastic (especially factoring in I saw his second show back after strep) but I preferred most of Mason's dialogue. It's a shame more cities aren't getting a chance to see Mason go on though, so more can compare. Hopefully he'll get to go on again at some point in the next leg.

TheBrightestStar Profile Photo
TheBrightestStar
#342HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/21/17 at 10:26am

I saw four of the shows in Chicago, and it was pretty clear that Euan was either really on or really off. I usually gauge my enjoyment of the show by how engaged I am in the dialogue sections since they're so familiar to me, and during two of the four shows I definitely felt myself getting bored, particularly during the long stretch between Tear Me Down and Origin of Love. I do wish I'd had the chance to see Mason to compare. Yesterday I was listening to a recording of one of JCM's performances and (with the caveat that it's probably not fair to compare other Hedwigs to him,) I was reminded how effortless and natural he commanded the dialogue of the show and seamlessly interacted with the audience throughout. By comparison Euan's performance was labored. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#343HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/27/17 at 11:04am

Gutted, but I have a wedding to attend in May that is the same day as my Hedwig ticket... thankfully, I am already getting to see the tour in Philly.

Will sell for face here, $94.53 (and face+fees+gravy on StubHub)

Left front orchestra, row B, seat 1. Yes, the side that has the stairs that come down into the aisle.

May 20, 2 p.m., State Theatre, New Brunswick, NJ. LMK.

My loss can be your car wash!

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#344HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/27/17 at 11:28am

Broadway in Chicago pushed subscriptions to secure tickets to Hamilton. I expect the walk outs had no idea what they were getting into. At the performance I saw the first was during "Tear Me Down." The lights are at their brightest and the speakers at their loudest during the opening. One woman leaped over several people and fled for the door like the devil was chasing her.

This week's drawing:

HEDWIG TOUR

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

trpguyy
#345HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/27/17 at 11:40am

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "This show was never designed for the spaces it's currently being shoehorned into.  "

Aside from the fact that "shoehorned" means the opposite of what you're describing, if this is truly the case, then the show has no business playing the itinerary it has. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#346HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/27/17 at 11:41am

My rule of thumb for any band, show, etc., playing in a bigger venue than it belongs (or that I might prefer) is that I never mind how much audience there might be behind me.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#347HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/27/17 at 12:47pm

Aside from the fact that "shoehorned" means the opposite of what you're describing, if this is truly the case, then the show has no business playing the itinerary it has.

To me, the show itself didn't feel too small for the space.  The backstory of co-opting a "Broadway" stage works fine for the material.  Hedwig should have a personality and spirit large enough to fill an arena and even the Broadway staging did not create a sense of personal intimacy or the illusion that it was a small show.  Would it be ideal that the show play house the same size and capacity as the Belasco?  I guess.  Is it realistic?  Not hardly.  Every show that tours has to be altered for the houses that host Broadway shows in the rest of America, which are typically much larger than most Broadway houses.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#348HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/27/17 at 2:53pm

I am surprised to hear so much divide on Euan's performance. I thought I was going to be comparing the entire time because I was spoiled and saw JCM's second performance in New York. And while John is forever the ultimate Hedwig, I was enthralled by Euan. Maybe this was one of his "on" nights? His vocals were superb and that lightness in his voice that he displayed effortlessly in Taboo really shined through on Wig in a Box and Wicked Little Town specifically. I found him engaging in the dialogue but definitely a little more reserved and less brash than John. Also, Hannah is the only Yitzak I have liked besides Lena. I think Lena's voice is so special that its hard to try to do what she did in the role and so others have fallen flat before, imo. But Hannah was fantastic. The ending was thrilling. I didn't notice any walk outs but we were up in the loge. I did notice that I was only one of few who lifted up their hands during the finale. And also for those who had never been to the oriental before, while yes it is a barn, its the prettiest of the 3 big tour houses here in town. 

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#349HEDWIG TOUR
Posted: 3/27/17 at 3:06pm

" trpguyy said: Aside from the fact that "shoehorned" means the opposite of what you're describing, if this is truly the case, then the show has no business playing the itinerary it has. "

I'm well aware of the technical definition of 'shoehorned.' It's not just about size, but it can also mean forcing something into an inappropriate or inadequate space.  Having seen Hedwig since, well, nearly the beginning, I'd suggest that this show is better suited to more intimate venues.

I know that's not possible with the current design of the show.  To me, larger design or not, it doesn't bode as well for allowing Hedwig to connect to the audience.  Yes, it's possible, but the experience being totally different from The Jane or even at The Belasco.

Updated On: 3/27/17 at 03:06 PM