pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 3

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#50Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/6/16 at 11:28pm

I am not a fan of Glenn Close's singing voice but I am a fan of her acting. That being said, I never truly warmed up to her interpretation of Norma Desmond or her handling of the score. It's a polarizing performance to say the least.

In my opinion Betty Buckley was everything Norma needed to be both musically and dramatically. She was the whole package - - - and boy did she deliver.

I wish it was Buckley returning.

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Whateverjsays
#51Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/6/16 at 11:33pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "^Agreed. Granted, I've already purchased my tickets, but I'm most awaiting casting for this production of almost anything else this spring.

Gotta echo Cinders on another board and say I'm rooting for Sierra Boggess as Betty.

"

I didn't even think about Sierra because I knew she was attached to Phantom in Paris, but with that postponed it could work! She's not attached to anything else that we know of, ALW loves her, limited engagement so she wouldn't have to commit for a long time and I think it'd finally get her a Tony nomination. If Sierra gets cast I will get tickets to this instead of Anastasia. Fingers crossed they announce it soon

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#52Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/6/16 at 11:37pm

Exactly, Whateverjsays, the ALW love for Boggess gives me hope! I'm with you and really, really hoping they announce casting sooner than later.

scampsweep
#53Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/7/16 at 7:32am

I very much doubt Sierra Boggess would do this tbh. Betty is a very under-written role and is very much a secondary (though important) character in the show. Having played several leads, I doubt she would do this now. However, never say never....

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#54Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/7/16 at 8:35am

Question: do you guys think this would be a good show to attend with my grandmother (who is an enormous fan of Old Hollywood)? I personally want to form my own opinion of Glenn Close here. Lol

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

MannPhan24601
#55Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/7/16 at 9:31am

Listening to the score for the first time and I can picture Chris Mann playing Joe.He just finished his run in the restaged Phantom tour......

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#57Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 11/16/16 at 1:10pm

Do y'all think if I see Sunset Blvd at 3 I could make it in time to eat my pie/see Sweeney off broadway?

EDIT: I did the math and it would be a mad dash, especially if I pre-ordered a pie. Just to be safe, I got Wednesday night tickets to Sweeney. 

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999
Updated On: 11/16/16 at 01:10 PM

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#58Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 12/9/16 at 12:22pm

How well did this show do financially in its most recent London production?

BroadwayConcierge
#59Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 12/10/16 at 3:30pm

Any word on how this is selling? I'm getting myself into the Sunset score for the very first time, and it's just tremendously good. I can't wait to see Close in this role.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#60Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 12/10/16 at 3:46pm

Daddy Warbucks said: "How well did this show do financially in its most recent London production?

"

The minimalist Doyle-ish version before the Close concerts? Flop. 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#61Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/16 at 12:21pm

The production at the ENO with Glenn Close was a sold out hit in London.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Mike66
#62Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 12/11/16 at 8:21pm

We saw it in London in April.  It was billed as "semi-staged", but I thought the staging was genius from start to finish -- stand out effects were two guys with headlamps as the cars.

The audience was on its feet for 10 minutes cheering when the curtain came down. 

Just a stunning performance by everyone, the orchestra was lush and rich and the staging clever and appropriate. 

Every seat was taken for the show we saw.  We paid full price.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#63Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 12/17/16 at 5:17pm

Does anyone know if they're planning on bringing the "Younger Norma" into this production too?  Curious since there was a lot of disagreement about that when this production opened in London.  Also... does anyone know if Ria Jones will understudy here?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#64Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 12/17/16 at 5:56pm

I'm very happy seeing Glenn Close as Norman Desmond. No one can do it better.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

binau Profile Photo
binau
#65Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/17 at 5:08pm

God, things are still looking a little dire for this show. One month to go and look at all these free seats for the second preview (a Friday night, no less). I hope the show can last its scheduled run.

Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BroadwayConcierge
#66Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/17 at 6:50pm

Definitely disheartening to see it isn't selling all that hot. This is one of the shows I'm most excited for this season.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#67Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/17 at 6:56pm

Two thoughts -

1 - Is it uncommon now that shows dont open with a huge advance pre-sale?  In years past I know that people bought tickets before something opened - but since 9/11 that changed a great deal (I remember reading some article about that at the time... too tired to google hunt for it)

2- The advertisements for this have been piss-poor pathetic.  How do you not even post on Facebook for New Years Eve clips of "The Perfect Year?"  I bought my tickets already and shared it with another "die-hard fan" who had no idea until I shared it that this was coming back

Really strange

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#68Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/17 at 7:01pm

I just think it's too crowded of a year. I'm a Broadway fanatic and even I keep forgetting this is coming.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#69Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/17 at 7:08pm

LOTS of seats available. I checked a mid-May Sunday and saw lots of orchestra seats - including center adjacent to premium rows. 

Not attending. We enjoyed it last May in London. We're leaving on a QM2 crossing in May and I decided to check out availability for it and Hello Dolly before posting an offer to help with recommendations and info for fellow travellers on the cruise roll call. (Personally, we're seeing nine shows in the six days before boarding. Six Degrees of Separation, Dear Evan Hansen, Glass Menagerie, Pacific Overtures, Hello Dolly, War Paint, Natasha...and the Great Comet, Come From Away, Sweeney Todd)

Updated On: 1/1/17 at 07:08 PM

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#70Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/17 at 7:24pm

i ADORE this show and score, but can't bear to listen to Glenn 'sing' it.

Willie4316
#71Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/17 at 7:28pm

Debating whether to scrap up some extra cash to see this as the surprise factor for me. Either this or War Paint

Updated On: 1/1/17 at 07:28 PM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#72Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/17 at 8:20pm

@FantomFollies - Sunset remains one of my all time favorite Broadway shows (tied with Aspects of Love).  While I rarely listen to the American Premiere Recording with Glenn - I must admit that seeing her live twice (albeit 20 years ago) was quite an amazing performance.  So I don't doubt her acting abilities.  That with a 40 piece orchestra, I couldn't resist.  Sure I wish there was someone else - and that we had the original set design too... but... I didn't win the powerball, so :)

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#73Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/1/17 at 9:44pm

I am sure it has been asked before, but is there any word on a discount code for this show? 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#74Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/2/17 at 3:22pm

No discount codes yet. This is the season where the pricing is making people choose or hold off until reviews come out (aside from Dolly, it seems). At $300-$500 a pop for Glenn, War Paint, Dolly the hardc ore fan who wants a good close orchestra seat for their divas is gonna have to make choices. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello