pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 5

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#100Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/8/17 at 12:15pm

Will this production have a set design? Or is it more of a concert style production. 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#101Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/8/17 at 1:09pm

Sadly Greased they're going with a semi-staged production of stairscases and I believe some screen stuff/ props/etc.  Nowhere near the spectacular original set designs.  Which is a shame.  I believe I read when Sunset closed they were storing one of the sets somewhere.  I don't know how feasible it would be to utilize even just the Mansion - but one of the most magical moments of the original broadway production was after the Car chase - seeing the mansion slowly descend into place, the music hushed a bit and Glenn Close made her first majestic entrance with the gold and black turban/outfit.

brian1973
#102Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/8/17 at 3:16pm

There is a set of sorts. An elaborate series of platforms containing the orchestra and of course the staircase, but it's essentially a concert- so absolutely not worth paying big bucks for. 

Glenn was sensational in it in London, and Siobhan Dillon lovely as Betty, but Michael Xavier- eek. Him emerging from the 'pool' at the top of act 2 still gives me nightmares. 

Theatrefan2
#103Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/8/17 at 11:10pm

brian1973 said: "There is a set of sorts. An elaborate series of platforms containing the orchestra and of course the staircase, but it's essentially a concert- so absolutely not worth paying big bucks for. 

Glenn was sensational in it in London, and Siobhan Dillon lovely as Betty, but Michael Xavier- eek. Him emerging from the 'pool' at the top of act 2 still gives me nightmares. 

I think his speedo got more attention than his actual performance, which I did not see.  However, I have seen him in Love Story and Pajama Game and he did not blow me away so Glenn must feel comfortable to bring him over from London.  Though he does have legions of fans I do not particularly see it.  Not that he is bad, for me he is just all right, nothing special.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#104Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 12:25am

GreasedLightning said: "Will this production have a set design? Or is it more of a concert style production. 

This is pretty much the set with the 40 piece orchestra on stage-center.Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#105Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 12:28am

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 1/9/17 at 12:28 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#106Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 12:41am

brian1973 said: "There is a set of sorts. An elaborate series of platforms containing the orchestra and of course the staircase, but it's essentially a concert- so absolutely not worth paying big bucks for. 

Totally agree...does not compare at all to the original production.Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#107Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 1:10am

Looking at how few seats seem to be sold for this, I can't help but thinking again they were foolish not to surround Glenn with some better known American actors.  I understand she is the 'draw' but I think it would have helped having some more recognizable Broadway names in the company.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#108Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 1:17am

Completely agreed. The likes of Paul Nolan or even Steven Pasquale as Joe and Sierra Boggess as Betty would've been sensational. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#109Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 1:39am

I was thinking Patrick Wilson would have made a good Joe with some name recognition, but perhaps they went down the road of exploring names and none were available.  But even having someone like a Brian Stoke Mitchell or a Michael Cerveris as Max would have been 'something' to stimulate some additional interest.

I think the problem is that a lot of the older ticket buying patrons (who are also traditionally the biggest group of advance ticket buyers) living locally likely saw Glenn do the role the first time around and aren't jumping at the chance to pay two hundred bucks to see her do it again.    And for those too young to have seen her last time, she's no longer a big enough name to peak their interest.  In a way its now kind of a meta- Sunset Boulevard. Glenn hasn't ever stopped working, but last time she did the role she was at her peak of fame -- now she is kind of a faded movie star herself playing a faded movie star.

I think she sold out in London because there was an excitement about seeing her play the role in a place she hadn't played it.

Updated On: 1/9/17 at 01:39 AM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#110Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 9:43am

Well said, QueenAlice.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

AngusN
#111Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 9:58am

Even if you're not a fan of Close, this product in is worth seeing for Siobhan Dillon's sensational performance as Betty - she gives an understated and sublime performance. Sure to be a huge star. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#112Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 10:09am

I'm sure she is wonderful, but one doesn't pay those prices to see a star in the making performance from the unknown actress playing Betty Schaefer.

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#113Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:37pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Full-Cast-Announced-for-Glenn-Close-Led-SUNSET-BOULEVARD-on-Broadway-20170109

Finally!! Curious as to who will be Close's understudy/stand-by as I didn't really see any possible choices in the ensemble? 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#114Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:38pm

Nancy Anderson

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#115Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:48pm

Nice to see Nancy Anderson back on Broadway.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#116Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 3:15pm

Question for those who saw the show in London:

What merchandise did they have available? They had posters (if I remember correctly) and someone on Instagram said they had mugs with the original Norma costume designs available for a limited time. Anything else? 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#117Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 3:38pm

I will see this show if and only if Nancy Anderson goes on.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#118Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 4:34pm

QueenAlice said: 

I think the problem is that a lot of the older ticket buying patrons (who are also traditionally the biggest group of advance ticket buyers) living locally likely saw Glenn do the role the first time around and aren't jumping at the chance to pay two hundred bucks to see her do it again.    

Saw it with Glenn when I was 22 originally and have no interest in seeing her do the same performance again 22 years later. 

Mike66
#119Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 5:29pm

We saw this in London.  It was terrific. 

It sold out because it was terrific -- not because it was new, or old, but because the performances were excellent, the staging clever and fresh, the orchestra stellar, and the prices fair, for the product.

As to the prices being asked on Broadway --- it's a different world than it was (and different from London where the TKTS booth closes an hour and one half before curtain.....).  It seems so often now that going to Broadway is like shopping for a car.  Lots of different prices, from lots of different places.  (But the Corvette and Hamilton don't get discounted).

But let's not forget the old joke about the man on the street corner selling pencils for $50 each.  A guy comes up and says "I bet you don't sell many at that price."  And the pencil guy says ''I don't have to."

Just sayin....

AngusN
#120Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 6:59pm

I disagree, Queen Alice, I would much rather pay good money to watch an exceptional performance by an exciting, new, up and coming star, than to see a celebrity - with half of the talent - give a sub par performance. 

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#121Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/9/17 at 7:08pm

AngusN said: "I disagree, Queen Alice, I would much rather pay good money to watch an exceptional performance by an exciting, new, up and coming star, than to see a celebrity - with half of the talent - give a sub par performance."

And good money is full price? 

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#122Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/10/17 at 11:49am

I've got my tickets.  Really looking forward to seeing the show!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#123Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/10/17 at 1:13pm

I've got my tickets too...I can't wait...I wish I were attracted to the guy playing Joe at least just a bit though...haha.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#124Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway
Posted: 1/10/17 at 1:23pm

Do you think they're holding off on a discount for the entire run because they're relying on reviews?