pixeltracker

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Set for April 2018 Opening at the Lyric- Page 4

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Set for April 2018 Opening at the Lyric

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#75HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:52pm

"People interested in this play are already fans of Harry Potter and/or theatre. Hamilton brought in people who had never seen a musical before or thought they hated rap or didn't care about history. "

You are correct again, I don't see "Harry Potter" bringing people to the show that are not already fans.

froote
#76HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 12:53pm

Yep, luckily they have more than enough fans!

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#77HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 1:05pm

PepperedShepherd said: "...I have to laugh at what the UK considers "Premium".  My total cost for both parts came to $240.  Any guesses what Premium tix on Broadway will cost?"

That's pretty incredible, considering that the tickets for all five of the shows we saw on Broadway last week cost more, and only one or two were "premium" tickets.

J K Rowling seems to be a very ethical woman, so hopefully she will be able to prevent the Broadway production from turning into another Hamilton-esque free-for-all with the outrageous house prices and even more outrageous scalpers. She is very appreciative of her fans and I can't imagine her allowing such gouging to occur.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Princeton2
#78HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 5:31pm

The fact its going into one of the bigger theatres maybe part compromise so that ticket prices.csn remain a bit more reasonable.

The play may bring mainly potter fans in,but among these are people who have never been to the theatre before so it does help creatr new theatregoers

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#79HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 6:01pm

I mean, ATG is amazing. They offered us the entire Rose bottle for like $25. And we had it waiting for us at a table at intermission. I was impressed. I don't know why it's so outrageous here but I guess we are willing to pay for it. 

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#80HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 10:19pm

Lot666 said: "PepperedShepherd said: "...I have to laugh at what the UK considers "Premium".  My total cost for both parts came to $240.  Any guesses what Premium tix on Broadway will cost?"

That's pretty incredible, considering that the tickets for all five of the shows we saw on Broadway last week cost more, and only one or two were "premium" tickets.
"

I know!  $120 per part seemed incredibly reasonable for "premium" tickets.  By way of comparison: Premium for the combined Angels in America is £130 ($169) and both Hamilton and BoM top out at about £200 ($260).  All much lower than they are -- or would be -- on this side of the pond.

I was just talking to a friend of mine, another L.A. resident who makes frequent trips to Broadway.  Told him that after my next trip to NYC in the fall -- where my big ticket items include Dolly, DEH, and Hamilton -- I may have to cut back on these annual trips.  It's becoming cheaper, in the long run, to fly all the way to London to get a theatre fix, or just wait for the touring production.  (Although, in the case of Ham, premium at the Hollywood Pantages is $650 -- and that applies to a good 2/3rds of the orchestra, at least!)

/ End of somewhat off-topic pricing rant.  :)

Updated On: 5/5/17 at 10:19 PM

Jarethan
#81HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/5/17 at 11:50pm

froote said: "yankeefan I understand what you're saying but it wont be the same. A big part of Hamilton hype for example is the music. The cast recording, the Grammy performance, the Tony performance, performing at the White House, the Hamilton Mixtape etc etc etc. This play can't do any of that.

I'm not suggesting that it wont get a lot of attention for a play and its ticket sales will be as impressive if not more so than Hamilton's but no there wont be the same media focus, just like the media focus eased after a few months of each Harry Potter book/film being released. People interested in this play are already fans of Harry Potter and/or theatre. Hamilton brought in people who had never seen a musical before or thought they hated rap or didn't care about history. Also this play has a 'keep the secrets' tagline which actively discourages those that have seen it from talking about it in much detail, whereas Hamilton fans never shut up about the characters and plot.

To you.

Harry Potter.  Nicholas Nickelby.

djoko84
#82HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/8/17 at 7:01am

What Harry Potter has going for it unlike Hamilton is families will come in droves for this. Yes, I know people brought their kids to Hamilton, but I don't think it's a big a family draw as Harry Potter will be.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#83HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/8/17 at 7:27am

Anyone who doesn't think this is going to be a sold out for years mega-hit is deluding themselves. 

froote
#84HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 5/8/17 at 7:48am

Again, only talking about media attention here, not ticket sales.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#86HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:24am

STILL no on sale date for tickets? My bank account needs notice.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#87HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:27am

IdinaBellFoster said: "STILL no on sale date for tickets? My bank account needs notice."

Lol same. I scrolled to the bottom of the article hesitantly hoping there'd be a date. It's going to be a grim day for me financially.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#88HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:28am

FROM THE WEBSITE:

Tickets go on sale on Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 11AM EDT
 via Ticketmaster Verified Fan®, only to those ticket buyers who receive an access code.

Ticket buyers must register with Ticketmaster Verified Fan®, a process put in place to protect genuine ticket buyers from bots and scalpers, for the opportunity to purchase tickets.  

Ticket buyers who register, and are verified and randomly selected, will receive an access code that will give them the opportunity to purchase tickets. Tickets will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.

Registration will open on Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 10AM EDT and close on Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 10PM EDT. 

Tickets will go on sale on Thursday October 12 at 11am EDT.

You will not be able to buy tickets unless you register and receive an access code. However, please note that because of anticipated demand, registering does not guarantee receipt of an access code, and receiving an access code does not guarantee there will be tickets remaining when you try to purchase. The selection process will be randomized to ensure access to tickets is as fair as possible and to protect our customers from bots and ticket scalpers.

If you are unsuccessful in securing tickets in this first release, there will be further opportunities to purchase tickets in the future on a regular basis. Details of further ticket releases will be announced via the official website, social media channels and the official newsletter. There will also be opportunities to purchase late-release tickets, including the weekly release of The Friday Forty.

WHAT IS TICKETMASTER VERIFIED FAN®?

Ticketmaster Verified Fan® is a process put in place to protect genuine ticket buyers from bots and ticket scalpers.

Ticket buyers register ahead of time and those who are verified and randomly selected receive a code that unlocks access for the opportunity to purchase tickets.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#90HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:41am

I don't know how I feel about the Verified Fan business, but I suppose it is the fairest way there is. I see you can buy 6 tickets per transaction, so we might be making some new friends on this board once the codes go out! 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#91HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 11:56am

I'm really not digging this verified fan thing... I get they're trying to stop brokers, but in at the same time they are making it harder for the public to access tickets. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#92HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 12:05pm

I wonder how Broadway's black and POC community overall will react if down the line the show wants to stunt cast someone like Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood from the films) or even Emma Watson if god forbid she has a downward career spiral over the next 5 years as Hermione.  I just wonder considering this is  post The Great Comet fiasco, and despite the multiple racial interpretations of the character, if the community will react similarly if Hermione was ever cast with a white actress. 

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#93HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 12:06pm

When I saw it was announced, the verified fans seemed like a good thing, but seeing how it'll probably be hard for fans to still get tickets made it worse. I've been waiting to see this and really hope I get that code. We shall see.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#94HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 12:15pm

bdn223 said: " I wonder how Broadway's black and POC community overall will react if down the line the show wants to stunt cast someone like Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood from the films) or even Emma Watson if god forbid she has a downward career spiral over the next 5 years as Hermione.  I just wonder considering this is  post The Great Comet fiasco, and despite the multiple racial interpretations of the character, if the community will react similarly if Hermione was ever cast with a white actress. "

I doubt there'd be much backlash if that happened, solely because the vast majority of people who protested the TGC casting change were teenaged/young adult Hamilton/Oak fans (a good amount of theatre professionals made comments too, yes, but the ones who were attacking the show's creative team were teenagers). This show's intended demographic is teenagers/young adults, all of which would probably do anything to see Evanna or Emma live, even at the expense of kicking out the one actress of color in the cast. 

Plus of course, I'm sure the TGC fiasco is going to become producing folklore, a story told to aspiring producers about the dangers of having a bad PR team. 

talinatter Profile Photo
talinatter
#95HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 12:22pm

Does anyone sort of have any estimate of how much the tickets will cost for both part one and part two? I am assuming each ticket will be $300 ish as it is new and has so much buzz, so then $600 for part one and two together? Or am I totally missing the mark? 

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#96HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 12:26pm

Probably totally missing the mark. They've been kind to the fans in UK providing very cheap prices, so hopefully that carries, but I could see it being $200 for per part (for the best seats, non-premium) and then maybe as low as $80 - to $100 for the worst seats.

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#97HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 12:27pm

talinatter said: "Does anyone sort of have any estimate of how much the tickets will cost for both part one and part two? I am assuming each ticket will be $300 ish as it is new and has so much buzz, so then $600 for part one and two together? Or am I totally missing the mark? "

It's one ticket for both parts, isn't it? 

talinatter Profile Photo
talinatter
#98HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 12:28pm

Okay thanks. I saw this on the website:

"

Beginning in previews, every Friday at 1PM EDT, we will release 40 tickets for every performance the following week, for some of the very best seats in the theatre, at an amazingly low price. These tickets are known as ‘The Friday Forty’ and will only be available via the official website.

More information regarding The Friday Forty will be announced at a later date. "

I'm assuming it would be best not to rely on these but try and get with the release code, right? Would anyone happen to have info on this policy? Thanks

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#99HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD to Take the Lyric Theatre in 2018
Posted: 8/2/17 at 12:29pm

I understand the desire to drive down scalpers...but this policy is really annoying.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards