pixeltracker

2017 Grammy Awards Thread- Page 3

2017 Grammy Awards Thread

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#502017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 12/6/16 at 11:51am

Dragged.

Anyway I'm not going to pretend I'm not just mad because of Emily Padgett not getting nominated, but like, it does seem unfair besides that, simply because I thought post "Hamilton" was going to open up the door for more theatre actors getting Grammys. Guess not. Whatever.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#512017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 12/6/16 at 11:53am

ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "Before you start bragging too much, let's not forget you staunchly insisted that Leslie Odom Jr. wouldn't even get a Tony nomination for lead actor and then petulantly insisted he had no chance of winning over Danny Burstein."

That was before Odom was even ruled eligible as a Lead Actor. I felt the character of Aaron Burr could've been eligible as a Featured Actor like how Judas Iscariot in Jesus Christ Superstar has usually been nominated in that category. When I saw Hamilton back in June (Leslie was actually out the matinee I was at, so I can't really comment on his performance), I did see the complexities in the role almost like a Shakespearean character. But with that being said, it was still more a part of an ensemble. It's just a huge pet peeve of mine to see more ensemble-sized leads win over the main leads.

It was obviously doesn't matter now.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#522017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 12/6/16 at 12:42pm

If She Loves Me were nominated (and it should have been in my opinion), Jane Krakowski and Gavin Creel would not have been nominated and that feels so wrong. This rule needs to be done away with, especially since every featured artist on an album gets a nomination should that album be nominated for Album of the Year. For example, Rihanna, whose Anti was shut out of Album of the Year, is actually nominated in that same category for Drake's album Views. She appears on one track.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#532017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 12/6/16 at 12:50pm

Cinders, what songs does Emily sing on the album?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#542017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 12/6/16 at 12:56pm

Another Round

CindersGolightly
#552017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 12/6/16 at 12:57pm

gypsy101 said: "Cinders, what songs does Emily sing on the album?"

She sings the majority of Another Round, about 85% of it, I'd say. But like I said, because of last year, I thought everyone who sung a big solo line would be getting nominated. If that hadn't happened last year, I wouldn't have gotten my hopes up. But alas.

Neon20 Profile Photo
Neon20
#562017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 12/6/16 at 1:12pm

Keala and Kimiko are FEATURED on so many tracks, shocked they were omitted....

CindersGolightly
#572017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 12/6/16 at 4:32pm

Annaleigh Ashford has a whole song to herself, no company to back her up, and she was omitted for "Kinky Boots," too. It's just shocking how little they care when it's not "Hamilton." 

Another Winter Profile Photo
Another Winter
#582017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 12/6/16 at 5:17pm

I wonder if the recording academy saw that video of a bunch of the Hamilton Grammy winners using their Grammy Awards as cups and drinking out of them. Maybe that's why the restricted the principle soloists this year

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#592017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 12/6/16 at 7:32pm

Oh please, the hype for Hamilton was so ridiculous that if the producers or record company submitted it as such, the ushers could've gotten a nomination.

As far as I know the Grammys don't refuse individual parts of a submission, unless they won for it previously, so it's the producers or record company that submits the names. So with that I am actually really annoyed about Kinky Boots getting a nomination. Aside from the principal soloists, every one else nominated for already won the Grammy in 2014. The pickings were that slim?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

#602017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 12/8/16 at 1:17pm

I personally didn't care for  Laura Benanti's rendition of Ice Cream from She Loves Me.  Didn't live up to other versions.  If this one track is emblematic of the entire show I can sort of understand its omission.  That said, Kinky Boots...again?! Kind of a shocker.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#612017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/27/17 at 5:07pm

It's just shocking how little they care when it's not "Hamilton."

Look up the history of Grammy winners for this category.  There is nothing shocking happening at all.  Generally, the award goes to the album that sold the best.  There are 83 categories.  There is one award for musical theatre.  How little they care in general is not shocking at all.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

silent
#622017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 3:57pm

Congrats to Cynthia, J Hud and Danielle Brooks for Best Musical Theater Cast Album.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#632017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 4:01pm

Too bad they didn't get any TV time unlike last year. Congrats, though!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#642017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 4:06pm

YYYAAASSS CYNTHIAAA!!!

(Also, not to be a buzzkill, but unfortunately Danielle Brooks was not designated as a principal soloist—so technically, only Erivo and Hudson have won Grammies for CP.)

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#652017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 4:26pm

Danielle was a soloist according to the simulcast monitors and the albums'.credentials. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#662017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 4:29pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Danielle was a soloist according to the simulcast monitors and the albums'.credentials."

Really? That's curious, since pretty much every source online does not list her as a soloist...

Edit: Wow, it looks like you're right! Hooray, Danielle!!!

Updated On: 2/12/17 at 04:29 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#672017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 4:48pm

if Beyoncé does not win Album of the Year i will be livid

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#682017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 4:57pm

Tony and Grammy winner Cynthia Erivo!

And she's doing In Memoriam with John Legend on the telecast tonight.

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#692017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 5:05pm

I loved adeles album, but it came out SOOOO long ago. It just doesn't even make sense why it's nominated for the 2017 Grammy awards when it came out in 2015. Oh well. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#702017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 5:22pm

It's nominated because it fell outside of the 2016 Grammy Calendar. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#712017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 5:38pm

yes, 25 was released november of 2015, the grammy calendar is always from October to October. Lemonade deserves the win.

broadwayboy223
#722017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 6:05pm

Why weren't the three church ladies principal soloists? They sang quite a bit. And they deserved IMO

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#732017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 6:41pm

Starts at 8?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#742017 Grammy Awards Thread
Posted: 2/12/17 at 9:10pm

what the f&ck did Beyonce just do?!?!?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Videos