pixeltracker

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances- Page 5

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

dave1606
#100Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/23/17 at 10:29am

I saw the show last night from the second row upstairs and while I did have some difficulties seeing the show I really enjoyed myself.

There is a height difference between the rows, but there were people in the second row who did stand up in order to see things. I think it all depends on how much the person in front of you is leaning forward as to how much you will or won't see. The people sitting in front of me weren't leaning as much so my view was ok. In general I actually think I would like sitting upstairs in the first row for this production as it is a great place to take in all the action.

Overall I thought the show was brilliant. The opening scenes by candlelight were among my favorite this year. The whole show had a Penny Dreadful feel to it that I loved. Jeremy Secomb was terrifying and actually scared me when he told the person in the audience to MOVE! Siobhan McCarthy was a true standout. Her Mrs. Lovett was warm, funny and charismatic. Speaking of Mrs. Lovetts, I was thrilled to see Carolee Carmello sitting in the front row watching the show tonight. It was lots of fun watching the future Mrs. Lovett watch the current one. The cast seemed to have a lot of fun with her. 

Matt Doyle was a standout and in great voice. I enjoyed the other cast members as well. Overall the uniqueness of the staging really complimented the material and as my first time seeing Sweeney Todd I found it to be a thrilling experience. Can't wait to return to the show in May to check out the next cast!

tcawam Profile Photo
tcawam
#101Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/23/17 at 10:35am

squeakers1957 said: "I also have those second row mezzanine seats and there was no indication of partial view when I bought them.  A few people mention they received an email offering a refund or upgrade since the seats are now partial view.  I haven't received this email but my tickets aren't until April so maybe they're working through them by date. Has anyone here who has tickets for April or later received an email notifying them the seats are partial view and offering a refund?          

"

Mine are for June and I got an email about the refund last week. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#102Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/23/17 at 10:47am

Squeakers, I had tickets for May, second row in the mezzanine, and I did get an email last week. Like many people, when I purchased them, for $69 each, there was no indication of partial view.

I called OvationTix and they were very nice about it. I decided to upgrade my tickets, paying for the difference (ouch). So they refunded my money for the partial view seats and I bought seats downstairs. I wanted to keep the same performance because my theater buddy works an odd schedule. The only seats available were the handicap and companion seats, all the way on the far side (at a counter). So I took two of those, and tell you the truth I am kind of glad to be on the side for this show! I don't do well with intensity! Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

Updated On: 2/23/17 at 10:47 AM

characterism
#103Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/23/17 at 11:35am

I have tickets second row Mezzanine in May and did not receive a refund/exchange email either, Squeakers :/

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#104Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/23/17 at 2:17pm

For the people who had the pie - how filling would you say the serving is? I'm planning on coming from a 3pm show (which will likely get over around 5:30) so won't have a whole lot of time to grab another snack before showing up at Barrow Street @ 6:30pm which is what they want from folks who have pie on their ticket. I know it's doable, I just want to know what I should be looking forward to.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Leah Robertson
#105Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/23/17 at 6:56pm

Scarywarhol said: "Leah Robertson said: "RippedMan said: "So I THOUGHT I bought a ticket for April, but never received a confirmation email? Is that normal for Barrow Street?

"I received an email at the time of purchase and also got an email a couple of days ago offering a refund on my second row balcony seats.

"

Apologies if this was covered, but did you contact them first? I saw it tonight from second row upstairs (NOT marked partial view at time of purchase) and it was basically unwatchable. I saw a sliver of the action. 

"

I didn't contact them. I came here as soon as I got the email to see what others were saying. 

Is there any reason we couldn't stand through the whole show? Obviously I'd rather not have to, but...

boonanas
#106Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/23/17 at 7:04pm

Valentina3 said: "For the people who had the pie - how filling would you say the serving is? I'm planning on coming from a 3pm show (which will likely get over around 5:30) so won't have a whole lot of time to grab another snack before showing up at Barrow Street @ 6:30pm which is what they want from folks who have pie on their ticket. I know it's doable, I just want to know what I should be looking forward to.

"

The pie comes with "mash" so I'd say the whole meal is somewhat filling. The pie is maybe the size of a palm

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#107Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/23/17 at 7:32pm

My tickets are for Sunday and I did not get an email about the 2nd row mezzanine being partial view. Wonder if it has to do with the performance being sold out or not.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#108Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/24/17 at 9:16am

Just picked up a table ticket for 3/4.  Did they release some tickets because I couldn've sworn that the first release of tickets were sold out.  I have tickets for April, but wanted to see the London cast and thought I was out of luck.  Looking forward to 3/4.

ahhrealmonsters
#109Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/24/17 at 9:32am

Valentina - I didn't find the pie that filling, but I also got the vegetarian one. If you want to grab another quick bite to eat before the show, I recommend Bleecker Street Pizza, which is right around the corner from the theatre.

canadian fan
#110Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/24/17 at 10:16am

That was my plan exactly.....have the pie & mash before the show. Enjoy the show, then maybe a quick slice of Bleecker street before heading over to the nearby comedy club afterwards.  

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#111Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/24/17 at 12:37pm

I was looking back at my original email, which is from the 1st day of the pre-sale when I ordered. It said we would get a reminder email 72 hours in advance.  I'm going on 48 hours before my performance and have not gotten anything.  Are they actually doing that? 

I also have not gotten any emails about my seat being partial view. I also ordered the pre-show pie and mash and now I'm getting nervous.  I mean, I have a confirmation email to prove everything.  But, I am worried about somehow being denied entry.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

willep
#112Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/24/17 at 12:42pm

I did get a reminder email a couple days ago. Seeing the show tonight and can't wait!

MinnieFay
#113Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/24/17 at 12:45pm

Marianne2 said: "I was looking back at my original email, which is from the 1st day of the pre-sale when I ordered. It said we would get a reminder email 72 hours in advance.  I'm going on 48 hours before my performance and have not gotten anything.  Are they actually doing that? 

I also have not gotten any emails about my seat being partial view. I also ordered the pre-show pie and mash and now I'm getting nervous.  I mean, I have a confirmation email to prove everything.  But, I am worried about somehow being denied entry.
"

If you have your confirmation e-mail, then I don't see what the problem is??  If you're that concerned then just call them (seems a bit ridiculous to be worrying about it though)!

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#114Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/24/17 at 1:17pm

Yeah, I worry too much about everything. It's just how I am. Probably a mix of anxiety and not being a confident person.  I know, I'm weird. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#115Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/24/17 at 1:34pm

Thanks for the replies ahhrealmonsters and boonanas! I think pizza after show sounds pretty good. :)

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

HSky
#116Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/24/17 at 1:50pm

I might regret it since I'm only 5'2" but I just grabbed one of the partial view seats that opened up just to make sure I see (hear?) the London cast a second time. I wonder if I could bring something to act as a booster.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#117Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/24/17 at 4:02pm

^ It might be a long shot,  but you could try to call the theater to see if they have something.  At least the Broadway houses have them. And I have seen adults using them.

And I got my email about Sunday.  So I definitely was worrying for no reason at all. 

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#118Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:51am

I'm taking my 21 year old niece to this production and other than some basic bits that I've shared with her, she knows nothing about it.  I showed her the set and she loves it-- I've taken her to Barrow St before and she can't believe it's the same place. She wants to watch the Johnny Depp film first, I don't want her to.  What do you think...  watch the film or no? 

Updated On: 2/26/17 at 09:51 AM

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#119Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:44am

I'm gonna go with no because I've actually had seeing a movie before the show hurt me. Like I had preconceived opinions and it made the show slightly less enjoyable in some instances.  My two examples are Hairspray and Rent for me. I have seen a couple of different Sweeney Todds before, but I don't remember much. So, I'm thinking I will not have problems having a previous experience that I loved.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#120Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 11:43am

I say that she's an adult, let her make her own decisions. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#121Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 12:35pm

When is the press night?

willep
#122Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 1:24pm

I believe March 1st is the official opening night.

boonanas
#123Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 1:54pm

I would definitely not watch the film beforehand ... as I feel the film is near perfect and anything afterwards would pale in comparison 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#124Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/26/17 at 2:21pm

I definitely don't think the film is near perfect, but I would too recommend seeing this production fresh without any preconceived ideas of what the story is supposed to look like.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”