pixeltracker

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances- Page 7

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#150Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/2/17 at 11:59am

Thank you Newintown. Somebody should send your note to Mr. Brantley. There is nothing pastiche about any of the score inSweeney except for the parlour songs.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#151Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/2/17 at 12:07pm

You should be able to email Brantley. I did once regarding the A Little Night Music revival, lol. He responded promptly. 

HSky
PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#153Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/2/17 at 12:58pm

HSky said: "They just announced the lottery and extension to December. 

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Immersive-SWEENEY-TODD-to-Slay-Off-Broadway-Through-December-Digital-Lottery-Announced-20170302
"

Thank you!  Was able to get a ticket (with pie) for my trip in September, as well as seeing it next week (sans pie).

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#154Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/2/17 at 1:42pm

"You should be able to email Brantley. I did once regarding the A Little Night Music revival, lol. He responded promptly."

I don't see much payoff in that; Brantley is a moderately knowledgeable person who thinks he's an intellectual and an expert. He would never admit to using any word incorrectly, especially one of his favorites for denigrating a writer's work, "pastiche" (which was not originally derogatory, but almost always is now).

There's a vast difference between homage and pastiche and merely being inspired by an existing work, oeuvre, or genre. Only a dilettante would call, for instance, Stravinsky's Pulcinella a pastiche of Pergolesi, or his Dumbarton Oaks a pastiche of Bach. 

Even the show tunes in Follies, often called pastiche, aren't really. Sondheim's work always incorporates his own originality and integrity, even when inspired by something identifiable. Brantley uses "pastiche"in an attempt to demean that integrity.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#155Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/3/17 at 4:41pm

Extended through December 31!

I see that I'm late to the party. Story of my life. Lol! Still, happy for the extension. Buy what's with the premium counter seats? What makes those seats premium?

sweenytoddnyc.com

Updated On: 3/3/17 at 04:41 PM

carnzee
#156Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/3/17 at 8:34pm

newintown said: 

There's a vast difference between homage and pastiche and merely being inspired by an existing work, oeuvre, or genre. Only a dilettante would call, for instance, Stravinsky's Pulcinella a pastiche of Pergolesi, or his Dumbarton Oaks a pastiche of Bach. 

Even the show tunes in Follies, often called pastiche, aren't really. Sondheim's work always incorporates his own originality and integrity, even when inspired by something identifiable. Brantley uses "pastiche"in an attempt to demean that integrity.

Interesting. I thought Sondheim himself used the word in regards to Follies, but I may be imagining. He said he basically copied "The Man that got away " when he wrote "Losing my Mind." 

I agree that "pastiche " doesn't apply to Sweeney.  What to you DOES count as a true "pastiche " song? Because any composer will bring something of themselves when writing a song in an old style, surely? 

PepperedShepherd
#157Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/3/17 at 9:37pm

carnzee said:  "I thought Sondheim himself used the word in regards to Follies, but I may be imagining. He said he basically copied "The Man that got away " when he wrote "Losing my Mind." 

From his book Finishing the Hat, re Follies:  

"Adoring the Broadway canon as I did, the seductive aspect of the show was the opportunity to write two kinds of songs: character songs for the four principals and pastiches* for the other performers, in styles ranging from 1918 to the 1940s.

* To define the term, at least as I use it: pastiches are fond imitations, unlike parodies or satires, which comment on the work or the style being imitated."

Regarding "Losing My Mind", he writes:  "Musically, this was less an homage to, than a theft of, Gershwin's "The Man I Love", complete with near-stenciled rhythms and harmonies.  But it had a difference: a lyric written not in the style of his brother, but of Dorothy Fields."

Updated On: 3/3/17 at 09:37 PM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#158Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/4/17 at 9:20am

Caught this last night and thought it was absolutely fantastic. Yeah, maybe it's less of a thinking-man's Sweeney Todd than your average high profile production and runs away with the show's thriller/Grand Guignol roots, but all to its benefit. Jeremy Seacomb and Siobhan McCarthy are both perfectly cast for this particular production; he bringing an at times unbearably intense mania to Sweeney, she a surprisingly grounded and natural-feeling manipulativeness to Lovett. The supporting cast is equally fitting, serving not only their principal roles well, but acting as a perfectly calibrated ensemble as well. Real kudos to Bill Buckhurst for directing such a consistently paced production with atmospherics to spare. Most of all, I was impressed by how genuinely spooked I was by it. For the first time, I felt how fun this show can be, with its blend of comedy and horror (sometimes both simultaneously), laughing as Sweeney literally sticks his razor in your face before jumping across to a nearby table to scare the bejeezus out of an unsuspecting old lady.

But, of course, the true star here as always is that score and book by Sondheim and Wheeler. Stripped down to just three instruments (piano, violin, and assorted winds), you really can't get away from the intricacy, mood, and beauty of every moment of music. And the book, with its constantly shifting locale  and tone, shows how a well-told tale needs no elaborate settings to be effective. All you need is a willing audience, some candlelight, and a few game storytellers. It's theatre in its purest, simplest form and works like gangbusters.

Also, that meat pie beforehand was damn delicious.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#159Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/4/17 at 9:59am

Re: The Letter and City on Fire - The Letter is spoken only, no choral arrangements (which is missed, but not detrimental). The real loss is the cutting of City on Fire. The internal scenes and their music are kept, but in place of the ensemble refrains, we simply have some quick underscoring. In my opinion, the music in this section really gives the climax the propulsion it needs and losing it makes the action kind of jumble together.

I'm so happy they chose to keep the (slightly abbreviated, but no less effective) bit of transition music between "No Place Like London" and "Worst Pies..." It's my favorite section of scoring in the whole show.

willep
#160Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/4/17 at 10:20am

Thanks for the clarification!

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#161Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:23pm

Regarding the $69 "Partial View" row of seats in the Barrow Street Theater mezzanine, be forewarned that they should more accurately be called "No View" seats, or even more accurately "Standing Room," as all 16 of us in this row needed to stand for the entire show in order to actually SEE the show.  Oddly enough, this is then an excellent view (of an excellent production), save for missing action at the top of the staircase.  (In short: "Partial View" if standing, "No View" if sitting.)  Pic is from eye level in a normal seated position.

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

Leah Robertson
#162Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:38pm

Thanks for the photo! Guess we will need to rest our feet that day to prepare for standing! 

amaklo
#163Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:40pm

followspot, could you please share the row and seat number you had?  Thanks.

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#164Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:47pm

BB113

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."

sondmon
#165Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:49pm

has anyone won the todaytix lottery? Are they just giving those partial view seats in the last row?

willep
#166Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:52pm

^ I was wondering that as well.

PepperedShepherd
#167Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:26pm

I saw this last Saturday from "twisting view" seat B9. Absolutely no problem with the view from here, provided you don't mind turning your head.  There's even ample room on the bench to shift your seating position sideways.  You just can't have anything on the table at any time during the show.  :)

As for the show: It's a great deal of fun. The cast is excellent and appear to be having a blast, while the staging & audience interactions are frequently inspired.   During Act One, I thought it was one of the best SWEENEYs I've seen (although a few trims to the lyrics did bother me a bit.)

The problems with the production become more apparent during Act Two, although its failures were somewhat expected given the nature of the space.  They haven't licked the problem of the multi-level action in Act Two. The barber shop, the pie shop, and the bakehouse should be on different levels and they have not found any way around that problem.  Cutting out all references to Sweeney's "best of barber chairs" doesn't solve it.  It just compounds the problem, imo, and the action gets rather confused as a result.  (Why, for example, does Sweeney drop a pile of books while standing 10 feet away from Mrs. Lovett, who then pulls a bundle out from behind the counter?)

FYI, the spoken "Letter" didn't bother me much, but losing "City on Fire" really highlighted how much it ties all the disparate parts of the climax together.

Bottom line: I would be hesitant to recommend this to someone as their first SWEENEY, but if you're capable of filling in the missing pieces, you should have a grand time.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#168Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:38pm

followspot said: "Regarding the $69 "Partial View" row of seats in the Barrow Street Theater mezzanine, be forewarned that they should more accurately be called "No View" seats, or even more accurately "Standing Room," as all 16 of us in this row needed to stand for the entire show in order to actually SEE the show.  Oddly enough, this is then an excellent view (of an excellent production), save for missing action at the top of the staircase.  (In short: "Partial View" if standing, "No View" if sitting.)  Pic is from eye level in a normal seated position.

"

The $85 twist view seats (they were called "partial view when I bought them) are a much better deal. You do need to twist to see much of what's happening, but they are right in the middle of the action.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#169Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 2:48pm

I'm glad I was able to upgrade my partial-view seats in the mezzanine. That view would have driven me crazy! I'm wondering why the theater didn't raise that back row up a little bit! Seems to me it wouldn't have been that hard to do. 

tsondie21 Profile Photo
tsondie21
#170Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 3:36pm

Tonight's performance has been cancelled.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#171Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 3:48pm

Source:

https://twitter.com/sweeneytoddnyc/status/841731716398120960

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#172Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 3:56pm

I actually didn't have major issues with the partial view mezzanine seats. Just a few little things.  Then again,  I was in BB 104, which is closer to the center aisle. Was able to see the counter space area of the set well.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#173Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 3:56pm

I am not happy.  Just got the email on this.

I don't want replacement tix--I *already* have tix for Norm/Carolee.

It's not even a foot of snow

>grumble grumble grumble<

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#174Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 4:18pm

Plus subways are working. What kind of replacement tix are they offering?

i have tix for partial view $85 tix for later this week and then 2nd row mezz in 2 months. Not too excited about the 2nd row mezz now having seen that pic. I might ask for a refund given when I bought the tickets it was mentioned that it was partial-view.