COME FROM AWAY Previews

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#125COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/23/17 at 2:18pm

little_sally said: "It doesn't help that the poster/artwork is terrible and tells nothing about the actual show.

I see this complaint about many shows often and to be honest, do most show posters communicate much? Some are beautiful and others not so much, but they really don't tell you anything. So many musicals come from a previous work (Disney, Revivals, etc) that the work is already done. New musicals have a harder time. I mean I went into Dear Evan Hanson knowing nothing based on the show poster. What could I actually glean from it? A torso has a cast on. I think a poster can eye catching, but its a hard sell to communicate a lot of information.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#126COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/23/17 at 3:05pm

I think that's an astute observation Bettyboy. What was the last musical that became a hit because of its poster?

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#127COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/23/17 at 4:05pm

I don't think a poster/artwork will ever make or break a show, but it's one of those things that never hurts to have visually appealing (colors, design, font, etc) elements as well as something that conveys a feeling the show may evoke. 

I love the Wicked artwork. It's striking, but the best part is Glinda whispering into Elphaba's and the smirk on Elphaba's face. It says SO much- they are friends and conspirators, plus it's surprising because anyone who knows the Wizard of Oz knows that Glinda and the Wicked Witch aren't friends. Glinda would never be whispering into her rival's ear, and whatever she's saying certainly wouldn't make her smile like that. The artwork doesn't tell you the plot, but it says a lot.

I think Dear Evan Hansen does the same thing. You see what looks like a young man (this show will deal with teen drama somehow) and his arm is in a cast. He's going through a hardship, a tough time. Over the cast is a hastag #youwillbefound- clearly we will be dealing with coming of age issues, finding oneself, becoming comfortable with oneself, etc. The hashtag is also not #Evanwillbefound or something of that nature, but YOUwillbefound. You, as an audience will take this journey with us. If you're a teen (or an adult) who is still finding yourself, have hope, because you too will be found. The artwork says an awful lot, to me at least.

One more example: the August: Osage Country artwork was terrific. There was a large house with all the family members in a V formation, with Violet at the apex. It just screamed big family drama. You got a strong hint of the experience you were in for. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#128COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/23/17 at 4:15pm

Whizzer, you're right but you're speaking like a hardcore theatre fan. The general public doesn't think that hard about a show poster.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#129COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/23/17 at 4:29pm

That's true. I mean I don't think people (outside of the people around here!) sit around analyzing theater artwork, but I do think it has a subconscious effect on the ticket buyer. I don't believe artwork has ever been the sole reason someone buys a ticket to a show, but I think certain images stick in our minds and if someone is glancing at 10 show brochures, the ones with artwork that "speak" to them will have a leg up.

I think misguided or bland artwork like Amazing Grace's or The Story of My Life's can have a slight negative effect on the ticket buyer because the artwork doesn't convey an appropriate emotion, or in the case of Story of My Life, any emotion at all. I would like to a do an experiment where I stop 1000 people in Times Square, show them pictures of marquees like a police photo array and see which one was most chosen. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#130COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/23/17 at 4:50pm

Cameron MacIntosh always had vivid artwork.  It's part of the synergy of selling a show.  Word of mouth is boosted by a vivid image to cement a show in the public's mind.  They may not consciously remember the image but it does stay with them and translate into ticket sales.  Bad artwork is bad artwork.  It doesn't cement anything.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#131COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/23/17 at 5:11pm

What you are describing is branding. And it's no different then what Coca-Cola or any other commercial product does in their marketing. I agree a great design can become iconic and thus a brand, but at first has to be a show people want to see.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

HSky
#132COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/23/17 at 6:42pm

Just a side note, on the discussion of theater posters, the book On Broadway: From Rent to Revolution is a great look at some of SpotCo's work and shows alternate drafts of show posters if that's of interest to anyone. 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#133COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/23/17 at 8:17pm

Yes, QueenAlice, I know it's branding.

And Cameron does it very well.

And yes, the word has to get around to sell tickets, but I think a strong Logo helps that word to get around.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#134COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/23/17 at 9:29pm

Love this review! https://youtu.be/g9vJRC7yfds

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Trish2
#135COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/23/17 at 11:54pm

The boy needs an editor and some cue cards!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#136COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/24/17 at 3:19am

Saw the show last night (Thursday).

Quite honestly, going in after hearing the opening number prior to tonight I had HANDS ON A HARDBODY in the back of my mind. That opening where you see the townspeople and get a "flavor" of the region. Luckily, after seeing it staged, Come From Away's opener was much better.

The show moves at a nice pace. The cast does a splendid job of taking on multiple characters. Not a weak link in the cast. Personally it was nice to finally see Chad Kimball onstage. Did not see MEMPHIS. I have met him but never seen him perform. He was wonderful. As was Kendra Kassbaum who I adored in LEAP OF FAITH and became a fan.

There are a ton of laughs in the show keeping it a bit light even with the subject matter. And that is where one has to realize that this is not a New York thing. This is a story that happened outside of the U.S. and how people stepped up on that day and days after to make people comfortable and get through it. I saw it with New Yorkers and after the show one said he enjoyed it but immediately commented on what he was feeling during those days in NYC. He did not know about Gander until he looked it up yesterday. Yes, New Yorkers were hit hard emotionally on 9/11 but this show is not about New Yorkers. It is about human kindness in the face of tragedy. This tragedy shook the world and this is one story of how people outside of the U.S. dealt with it. And It had the same feel as the documentary. One note, I thought Jenn Colella's solo would stick out like a sore thumb. Thankfully it didn't.

Although I can't hum the music, I will buy it. Nice to listen to with smart lyrics. And the band is kick ass. (Hang around after the curtain call for a mini concert. A tad bit long but enjoyable!)

They pack in a lot as far as what went on with the people who were stranded there as well as the people who live there but it is never confusing. My only qualm was with the Bob and thinking his wallet would be stolen. Really? You are a black man in a predominately white town. Not sure where they were going with that.

Have a tissue as you will be brought to the brink of tears,especially in the last 15 minutes.

All in all, a good show that I would see again. A bit predictable at times. It got a standing O when the cast came out.

I almost bought a tee shirt but of the 3 available none had the show logo on it so I passed and bought the logo magnet. (Which I was going to buy anyway)

This show deserves a life on the boards. In this time of political turmoil it is refreshing to see a show that focuses on human kindness. To sit and cry tears of happiness. We need that and this show delivers.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 3/12/17 at 03:19 AM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#137COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/24/17 at 11:58am

This was announced two days ago, but I didn't see it until now: This is really soon!

Come From Away to release original Broadway cast album

Updated On: 2/24/17 at 11:58 AM

kristinj1 Profile Photo
kristinj1
#138COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/25/17 at 10:16am

Thanks for the tip!  I see it's available for pre-order now on Amazon.  

JustAnotherNewYorker
#139COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/25/17 at 10:34am

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Liked the mix of humor, pathos, and message, but don't recall any breakout songs so not sure I'll get the cast recording. I do hope it gets some Tony nominations, although likely musical will go to DEH and set design to Comet (the set design for this will likely not win any awards, although it works well enough)....

On a side note, did the signature line and the cast was great and very down to earth (ha, I made a funny). If I'm not mistaken, Beth Malone was backstage as Beth (or her doppelganger) came out before the cast. I really miss Fun Home...[should that be doppelGander? Oh god, someone stop me]

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#140COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/25/17 at 10:36am

FYI, both shows today are available at TKTS for 50%. I'm kind of surprised by this as there aren't many tickets left for both shows(< 40 seats).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#141COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/25/17 at 11:18pm

Well that turned out to be a joy of show, 100 heartfelt minutes, that celebrated life to the fullest. Funny, touching, sad and life affirming, at the end the standing ovation started as the lights went down ( this one well deserved )  Had the pleasure of meeting the writer after the show. It should and will be a huge hit

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

broadwayboy223
#142COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:17am

I saw it last night and LOVED It. An utterly beautiful show about human strength and spirit. One of the best musicals I've seen in a while. I loved the score and the cast was uniformly excellent. I loved Jenn's big song as well as the African American woman's song too. The show stirred something in me. Maybe it was hope? I don't know. The whole audience was won over by the end. It's a show that we need in these darker times. Go see it if you can. 

Updated On: 2/26/17 at 09:17 AM

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#143COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/26/17 at 5:45pm

Hmmmmmm. Saw this show yesterday and I'm still trying to form my thoughts. I liked it... but... I dunno... it was just so long without an intermission... and it kept going and going and going non-stop in documentary style without a rarely a song to break up the fast-paced monotony. The music is cool, and the idea was cool, and I loved how the it made the audience "feel." Everyone stood up and roared with applause. 

Mmmm... I'm glad I saw it, but I wouldn't see it again. The cast and artistic team were all top notch too. This show is worth checking out, but I don't think it will give Great Comet or Dear Evan Hansen anything to worry about come Tony time. 

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#144COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/26/17 at 5:55pm

Did anyone here see the documentary, "Stranded Yanks" when it was shown on PBS? I believe it was the inspiration for this show. It premiered on PBS in 2002. It was very special.

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#145COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/26/17 at 6:26pm

I really wanted to love this.  The set up is almost fool proof for lots of emotion.  But for some reason, the creators opt to just let the story trail off at the end.  The last song goes on too long.  And the individual stories just sort of sit there.  Too bad they opted for reporting and not for pathos.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#146COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/26/17 at 6:56pm

Too bad they opted for reporting and not for pathos.

Or emotional exploitation of a very sensitive subject.

It "trailed off" because that was what happened - people went back to their interrupted lives. Many kept in touch and there was a ten yr reunion that quite a few came back for and that is where the creators  went  and heard the stories.

The idea came from Micheal Rubinoff who'd started w the idea from the time he was a lawyer ( tho involved w the theatre world of Toronto)  and had since become assoc dean of visual & performing  arts at Sheridan College in Oakville. . He wants to create  a Canadian musical theatre incubator and this was their 1st show. so no, don't think the documentary payed a relevant role.

Updated On: 2/26/17 at 06:56 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#147COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/26/17 at 7:07pm

Was at the matinee today & I LOVED IT!! so moving, such a great story in a time of darkness. So much hope, happiness, heart & openness comes from the people of Gander. The score blends well with the story. Colella's solo is heartbreaking, SCREECH IN is a blast, WELCOME TO THE ROCK is a great opener, and I loved THE PRAYER. the flow of the show prohibits any kind of applause after almost every number, I wanted to applaud so much more for this cast. Basically once the finale ended, the entire theater was standing for this cast & this amazing show. LOVED the encore the band gives after bows that I hope it's included in the upcoming recording. This has many Tony Awards coming to it, even in this crowded season. I see Colella grabbing a nom as well as possibly Astrid Van Wieren(Beulah) & Joel Hatch(Mayor). 

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#148COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:25pm

Saw it today. The only issue I would take with it is that the Muslim character isn't fleshed out as much as the other characters. He's a double victim in that not only his home is under attack, but also he is personally under attack by for being who he is. Otherwise, the show is something not to miss.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#149COME FROM AWAY Previews
Posted: 2/26/17 at 9:47pm

I will say that the only flaw the show has is not diving more into each character's story. This could've been a 2 hour show if we got to know the characters more. I read the book "The Day The World Came To Town", several times. It tells each character's story more as well as several more families' stories during their stay at Gander. If you're a fan of the show already, I'd highly recommend picking up this book to know more about each character.