pixeltracker

"Hello, Dolly" 2017 Cast Recording- Page 3

"Hello, Dolly" 2017 Cast Recording

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#50Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/7/17 at 8:09pm

HELLO DOLLY now on XM...WOWOWOW...getting chills!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 5/7/17 at 08:09 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#51Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/7/17 at 8:29pm

DAME said: "I just heard the title track on XM.  NICE!  

"me too :)...just relived that wonderful night!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Zamedy154
#52Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/7/17 at 8:53pm

I caught the title song on XM last night. It's beautiful. Bette sounds like she's having a ball. That said, I actually prefer the orchestrations of the OBCR. The instrumentation is much richer sounding. The banjo part before the final reprise and the horn section at the end is loud and vibrant without being overwhelming.

You can't compare the vocals. Channing is Channing and Bette is Bette and they each bring their own magic to the role (though I absolutely LOVE Bette's "It's so nice to be back home where I... belong."

The male choruses are both spectacular.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#53Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/7/17 at 9:11pm

any of you heard the full thing yet?? how is it? i am itching to get a listen

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Dollypop
#54Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/7/17 at 10:43pm

When Martha Raye played Dolly, she pronouned "parade" Poo- rade and then sang the hell out of the song.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

JTRMulch
Rockyfan2000 Profile Photo
Rockyfan2000
#56Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 9:57am

Wow, it sounds gorgeous!

"It's not where you start, it's where you finish!"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#57Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 10:10am

Not to nitpick, but they really couldn't include the small reprises of "I Put My Hand In" and "Parade"? I find it a little frustrating. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#58Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 10:18am

ljay889 said: "Not to nitpick, but they really couldn't include the small reprises of "I Put My Hand In" and "Parade"? I find it a little frustrating. "

Agreed. Particularly upset about the Parade reprise.

This sounds gorgeous though. Baldwin brings new life to "Ribbons Down My Back", a song I've always written off.  

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#59Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 10:23am

I'm not complaining really but honestly, what does it take to get a complete recording of a score these days?!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#60Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 10:33am

Is this the same company that did the recent KING & I recording? Still upset about the inexplicably unrecorded "Hello Young Lovers" reprise and the entire finale.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

bloomerific
#61Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 10:37am

I am so happy to hear this company belting through my speakers right now! Seeing them live was spectacular...what a great way to start Monday! 

And I agree with the Kate Baldwin sentiment...I always wrote off "Ribbons..." until I heard her just float through it! 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#62Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 10:54am

I believe the TKAI album was Universal and this is Sony, but like I said earlier, commercial labels are pretty awful at making somewhat complete albums. This makes me worried for the upcoming SITPWG album as I believe  it's being done by Warner Bro. 

BeukyBaby
#63Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 11:17am

I'm seeing conflicting release dates for the CD. Amazon and Barnes and Noble have it listed as this Friday, May 12, but Best Buy says June 2nd. Anyone know which is correct?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#64Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 2:20pm

I agree it does feel restrained compared to watching it live. I've been listening to the OBC and the 1994 revival and Sunday Clothes sound so much more exciting in those versions than this one. 

Dollypop
#65Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 4:06pm

There's another thread on this and on that one I said this recording is flat and doesn't't capture the "Broadway sound". It seems to have been recorded during the rehearsal period and that may be the answer.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#66Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 4:16pm

Has nothing to do with it being recorded during rehearsals.  It has all to do with it being recorded in a recording studio.  There's a relaxed intimacy recording this way plus Bette is most comfortable getting in that mode.  Live she's one way but in a recording booth she brings her voice into a more controlled and polished interpretation.  She's playing Dolly Levi for the listener as opposed to a Broadway theatre.  Same applies to the cast in their ensemble numbers.  

Decades ago cast recordings were done is huge studios so everyone went full-out for the overhead microphones.  They "performed" for the recording.  Nowadays cast recordings are done in more intimate spaces so the recordings sound a bit flat and not as vibrant as the older days.  Has all to do with the studio set-ups.   

ArtMan
#67Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 4:28pm

BeukyBaby said: "I'm seeing conflicting release dates for the CD. Amazon and Barnes and Noble have it listed as this Friday, May 12, but Best Buy says June 2nd. Anyone know which is correct?

"

I'm pretty sure it is May 12. I will know Friday, when I go into my local Barnes & Nobles.  Did you notice on Barnes & Noble and Best Buy sites, they show the correct Bette Midler cover but they call it the 1994 recording?  Amazon lists it correctly.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#68Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 4:31pm

Listening to the album on NPR now. The 1964 cast was full of clowns. That album was funny. This cast is full of singing actors. The album is pretty but the humor isn't coming across to me in songs like "It Take a Woman," "Motherhood March" and "Elegance."

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

Dollypop
#69Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 4:38pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Has nothing to do with it being recorded during rehearsals.  It has all to do with it being recorded in a recording studio.  There's a relaxed intimacy recording this way plus Bette is most comfortable getting in that mode.  Live she's one way but in a recording booth she brings her voice into a more controlled and polished interpretation.  She's playing Dolly Levi for the listener as opposed to a Broadway theatre.  Same applies to the cast in their ensemble numbers.  

Decades ago cast recordings were done is huge studios so everyone went full-out for the overhead microphones.  They "performed" for the recording.  Nowadays cast recordings are done in more intimate spaces so the recordings sound a bit flat and not as vibrant as the older days.  Has all to do with the studio set-ups.   

That is probably all true but ON THE TOWN captured the energy of the show. The new DOLLY recording is "without color and without life"

"

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#70Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 5:03pm

I am really enjoying this new cast album.   I find it full of life and glorious. So the lesson is; to each his own. 

bk
#71Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 8:24pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Has nothing to do with it being recorded during rehearsals.  It has all to do with it being recorded in a recording studio.  There's a relaxed intimacy recording this way plus Bette is most comfortable getting in that mode.  Live she's one way but in a recording booth she brings her voice into a more controlled and polished interpretation.  She's playing Dolly Levi for the listener as opposed to a Broadway theatre.  Same applies to the cast in their ensemble numbers.  

"

Some of this is true and some not.  There's nothing wrong with what Bette and everyone else is doing on this recording.  The reason it doesn't "sound" like older recordings is because producers of cast albums these days don't "get" it - they don't know how to get that sound and believe me it's EASY to get if you know what you're doing.  Before I began doing cast albums no one ever put singers in a booth for a cast album.  We did with the leads because it gave us control.  But the sound was all in the way we mixed it, the space (reverb) we gave everything - we always tried to match the sound of Goddard Lieberson's Columbia cast albums - for me the gold standard.  But yes, I have to tell many a Broadway performer that this was for the ear not the eye.  That we had to do for the ear only and achieve what they eye would add in the theater - they all "got" that very quickly.  Bette, of course, knows that because she's a recording artist as well as a stage artist.  It's all in the mix, folks.

Jarethan
#72Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 9:24pm

Deleted

Updated On: 5/8/17 at 09:24 PM

carnzee
#73Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 10:10pm

I've been thinking how tastes in voices change over the years.  I'm not a voice expert, so I feel funny commenting, but the male chorus on the OBC seemed to have a more masculine sound. Maybe they had more bases or baritones then. The chorus on the new album has that pop tenor sound. Could someone who knows what they're talking about comment on this? 

BWAY Baby2
#74Hello Dolly 2017 Cast Recording
Posted: 5/8/17 at 10:26pm

The album is good- but to have the full experience, a night at the theater with a live audience cannot be duplicated on CD.

Updated On: 5/8/17 at 10:26 PM