pixeltracker

2017 TONY Awards Performances- Page 4

2017 TONY Awards Performances

#752017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/30/17 at 12:19am

Would some of the staging of Great Comet be able to be done at the Tony Awards? I think the problem with their morning show appearances is that it's tough to fit the huge cast and the layered staging into such small spaces. Frankly, I think it would have been better to send out Groban or Benton to perform their solo on the Today Show.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#762017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 4/30/17 at 12:35am

Now having seen the show, I'd be surprised if Hello Dolly did anything but the title number. Why are people saying they won't? It's by far the most exciting thing in the show, and it shows off Bette Midler. 

brdwybound04
#772017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 8:27am

We'll know if just a few short hours what shows will be nominated, and that will give us a better idea of what we can likely expect performance wise on the TONYs telecast! Also, several years back, they did a 90 second montage each of scenes from the new and revival plays since play's never perform on the telecast... for those not lucky enough to live in NY and see all the plays- many of which won't tour, it was refreshing and informative and I wish they'd bring that segment back...

Valyitz
#782017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 8:52am

I'm feeling better about Falsettos' chances of performing with 4 actors nominated!

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#792017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:08am

I say "Charlie" performs desptie having no nominations, a la "Finding Neverland". My guess is they do "It Must Be Believed to Be Seen" or "The View from Here" to show off Borle, who is technically a 2017 Tony nominee. 
I would say "Pure Imagination", but showing off the chocolate room set is NOT going to do them any favors. Like, at all.

"Come From Away" should NOT do "Screeh In"; it's the most upbeat number in the show and gives the wron overall vibe.  They should do "Welcome to the Rock", but I see "Me and the Sky" as an option since Colella is their acting nominee. But it's an ensembe show, so I firmly believe they should showcase the ensemble. 

"Dear Evan Hansen" is probably going for "You Will Be Found"...but with Faist nomintated... "Sincerly, Me" may now be a contender (Though that would be like CFA doing "Screech"...it's a totally different number from the rest of the show).

If "Anastasia" decides to perform despite only 2 noms, I say go with "Once Upon a December". It's from the movie, and it will show off those beautiful, nominated costumes. 

"Natasha...1812" should do the Prologue into "Dust and Ashes".  Only way to get everyone in there and let it make any sense.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#802017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:10am

Remember the producers of the shows themselves have to pay to have performances on the award shows. It can be upwards of 100,000 dollars.   CHARLIE / ANASTASIA would only petition to perform if they really thought it would make a difference to their box office numbers.  ANASTASIA probably doesn't really need it.

FALSETTOS closed months ago and was produced by a not-for-profit. It won't be performing.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 5/2/17 at 09:10 AM

RJ14
#812017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:18am

"Before the Parade Passes By" is the best choice for Hello, Dolly! thou it was performed 2 times already on the Tony before. I think The title number has to be seen live to truly appreciate the magic of it and they wont spoil it for live tv.

And I think they will just show a clip montage of Falsettos instead of a performance.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#822017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:18am

I know, and now that I think about it, "Anastasia" might not. But I think "Charlie" will go for it. 

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#832017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:35am

Miss Saigon, even with Eva getting the nom, I think we will see at least PART of 'The American Dream.' I could see it starting off with Eva doing a little of "I'd Give My Life for You" before Jon Jon and the whole lot of them come thundering in with what I think is a PERFECT number for timely issues in this country today. I will be disappointed with anything less. They have tour ticket sales to think about next so they gotta really wow 'em.

Despite it's lack of nominations (raging inside) I am sure we will be seeing Anastasia performing. If it had been nominated I would have said 'December' but now I think we will just see a solo of 'Journey to the Past' from Altomare. I think it will be a lot like the performance we say from 'If/Then' a few years back. It's box office is fine without it but it's that last "HEY! TOURISTS! Remember this movie! It's a musical now!" play they need to establish themselves as the new family show in town that will be here for a year or two.

Evan Hansen has done 'Waving Through a Window' to death on all the TV appearances but I think it's all been because they are saving 'You Will be Found' as their performance ace in the hole for Tony night.

Charlie is gonna HAVE to pay for the slot. With it's bad word of mouth from a lot of people that have seen it, they gotta try to trick some tourists that don't know yet about death by squirrel to bring the kiddies.

perfectliar
#842017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:43am

Scarlet Leigh said: "Evan Hansen has done 'Waving Through a Window' to death on all the TV appearances but I think it's all been because they are saving 'You Will be Found' as their performance ace in the hole for Tony night."

They've already performed "You Will Be Found" as well, just last week on Today, so they haven't been saving it.

Updated On: 5/2/17 at 09:43 AM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#852017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:44am

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if HELLO, DOLLY! opens the telecast with the title song.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#862017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:48am

I'm bummed we probably won't get a War Paint performance 

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#872017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:48am

perfectliar said: "Scarlet Leigh said: "Evan Hansen has done 'Waving Through a Window' to death on all the TV appearances but I think it's all been because they are saving 'You Will be Found' as their performance ace in the hole for Tony night."

They've already performed "You Will Be Found" as well, just last week on Today, so they haven't been saving it.
"

Oh! Thanks! I missed all the Today performances last week. Well that was my theory with performance after performance after performance of 'Waving,' so might as well just do it there as well.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#882017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 9:50am

I hope GROUNDHOG DAY uses this time to work on a better live performance than that crapshow on the TODAY show!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#892017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/2/17 at 10:21am

RJ14 said: "I think the title number has to be seen live to truly appreciate the magic of it and they wont spoil it for live tv."

I don't think it's spoiling it. Any more than Something Rotten doing "A Musical" or Hairspray doing "You Can't Stop the Beat" was spoiling it. Never mind that Bette's leaving in January and the show is mostly sold out, at least for the next several months. I think it'd be amazing on the Tonys, and great to be immortalized in case they never film the full show. 

I do hope DEH does "You Will Be Found" with full staging, lighting, and social media projections. It would be powerful, and really different from their Today Show performance.

It'll be interesting to see what Miss Saigon chooses. Yesterday I would've said "The American Dream" as a no-brainer, but now after the nominations I don't know. Maybe they'll do a little bit of Last Night of the World into American Dream. 

And I'm bummed that Bandstand most likely won't perform. The dancing in that show is fantastic and it's a shame that more people won't get to see it. 

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#902017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/6/17 at 10:21pm

These are the performances I could sorta see the shows do

Best Musical/Revival Nominees
Come From Away - Welcome to the Rock
Dear Evan Hansen - You Will Be Found
Falsettos - This Had Better Come to a Stop
Groundhog Day - Seeing You
Hello, Dolly! - Hello, Dolly! OR Put on Your Sunday Clothes
Miss Saigon - I'd Give My Life For You/The American Dream
Natasha Pierre, & the Great Comet of 1812 - Prologue/Dust and Ashes

Non Best Musical/Revival Nominees
Anastasia - Journey to the Past
Cats - Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats/Memory
War Paint - Face to Face

Updated On: 5/6/17 at 10:21 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#912017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 8:21am

Spencer Liff (who choreographed FALSETTOS) just put on his Instagram story that he was leaving a Tony Awards rehearsal and was outside Lincoln Center. Seems like a big indication that FALSETTOS will be performing.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#922017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 8:27am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Spencer Liff (who choreographed FALSETTOS) just put on his Instagram story that he was leaving a Tony Awards rehearsal and was outside Lincoln Center. Seems like a big indication that FALSETTOS will be performing."

Unless he is choroegraphing the show like he did in 2013. Hey, anything is possible.

I certainly hope that Dollypop's post about the rumor of "Hello, Dolly!" performing the Waiter's Gallop is a)untrue or b)a joke. Scott needs to put Bette center stage. I certainly hope she would perform. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#932017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 8:38am

MoveOnGypsy said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "Spencer Liff (who choreographed FALSETTOS) just put on his Instagram story that he was leaving a Tony Awards rehearsal and was outside Lincoln Center. Seems like a big indication that FALSETTOS will be performing."

Unless he is choroegraphing the show like he did in 2013. Hey, anything is possible.

I certainly hope that Dollypop's post about the rumor of "Hello, Dolly!" performing the Waiter's Gallop is a)untrue or b)a joke. Scott needs to put Bette center stage. I certainly hope she would perform. 
"

True, but I find that fact that he was pointing to Lincoln Center to be suggesting something more specific. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#942017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 9:38am

I'd love to see CFA opening the telecast with Welcome to the Rock and then seeing Jenn Colella sing Me and the sky (something like the year of Book of Mormon but not quite).

Alas, I think it's very unlikely. It's not completely their year.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#952017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 9:44am

Scarlet Leigh said: "Miss Saigon, even with Eva getting the nom, I think we will see at least PART of 'The American Dream.' I could see it starting off with Eva doing a little of "I'd Give My Life for You" before Jon Jon and the whole lot of them come thundering in with what I think is a PERFECT number for timely issues in this country today. I will be disappointed with anything less. They have tour ticket sales to think about next so they gotta really wow 'em.

"

I don't know about this since they did American Dream at the 1991 Tony's, and since Jon Jon isn't nominated, why would they do a song that is mostly a solo performance. You may be right though? I would love to see a medly of The heat is on and Movie in my mind, but that is probably too ambitious.

thattreegurl Profile Photo
thattreegurl
#962017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 10:04am

Andrew Rannells said in the awards chatter podcast last week that Falsettos is performing on the broadcast.

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#972017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 10:17am

I hope CFA does Me and the Sky into Somewhere in the middle of nowhere. And I hope that DEH does the full on You Will Be Found with the projections, powerful af. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#982017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 10:27am

Andrew Rannells said in the awards chatter podcast last week that Falsettos is performing on the broadcast.

I don't understand why, though. Unless the producers are expecting to put this show out on a tour.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#992017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 5/19/17 at 10:37am

Probably to advertise the PBS broadcast. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement