pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:03pm

GreasedLightning said: "Skimbleshanks2 said: "If it misses a Best Musical nod will GROUNDHOG DAY close??

"

I believe they've got some staying power in them. At least through the summer, no? Karl has become quite the champion spectacle for them and their grosses keep climbing. 

"

It also might take another couple of weeks to see a real bump from positive word-of-mouth from the reviews for something like GHD (and, honestly, the publicity of AK going on despite a pretty severe injury, and maybe even the really good notes that Andrew Call has gotten as the understudy.) I'd argue it's got more staying power than you might think. 

ntrackbar Profile Photo
ntrackbar
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:11pm

RippedMan said: "Why is Bandstand only doing 7?"

That is standard during previews.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:26pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I am surprised that "Little Foxes" has not done better at the box office."

I suspect this is because it's at a subscription house. As more of MCC's member base has seen it, we'll likely see higher ticket prices and grosses coming down the pike. It's always tricky to judge the health of a show at a nonprofit in early weeks when so many people there bought their tickets at a steep discount by bundling the whole season.

Speaking of which, what a dang good season for MCC on Broadway. Heisenberg, Jitney, and The Little Foxes are all standouts of the year for me. A brilliant season for them, in my estimation. I hope the former are both remembered come Tonys time in spite of being closed. 

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:30pm

^ MTC, not MCC

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

10086sunset
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 5:35pm

With the announcement of The Little Foxes being extended, MTC must feel good that the show's financial numbers will be on the upswing.

Speaking of plays this season, The Price has done pretty well and been fairly under the radar. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 6:51pm

ntrackbar said: "RippedMan said: "Why is Bandstand only doing 7?"

"

Is it, though? 

UncleCharlie
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 6:57pm

ntrackbar said: "RippedMan said: "Why is Bandstand only doing 7?"

Not really. It depends on the show. Numerous shows this season have been doing 8 and some did 7 the first 1 or 2 weeks of previews but quickly ramped up to 8 for the last few weeks of previews. There does not appear to be a "standard".

JustAnotherNewYorker
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:02pm

Oh my dear Groundhog Day. How I do hope you survive...

PC79
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:15pm

Can someone help me understand how the average ticket price for A Doll's House Part 2 could be so low (now two weeks in a row)? The average is lower than the rush price and way less than 50% of the average regular ticket price. What am I missing?

toofunktastic2
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:17pm

PC79 said: "Can someone help me understand how the average ticket price for A Doll's House Part 2 could be so low (now two weeks in a row)? The average is lower than the rush price and way less than 50% of the average regular ticket price. What am I missing?

"

Comps?

evic
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:26pm

Most musicals in previews omit the Wed matinees so that they can use that time to rehearse.

evic
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:26pm

Most musicals in previews omit the Wed matinees so that they can use that time to rehearse.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:48pm

Kudos to Sunday in the Park with George on its final week! 100% seats sold with a gross of $1.27 million!!! I believe this is a record for a Sondheim musical!

Does anyone know the $$$ iinvested for SITPWG? I'm curious what the weekly running costs were for its limited engagement.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 7:59pm

I believe someone said the initial investment was 7 million 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:06pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I believe someone said the initial investment was 7 million "

Ok cool thanks! Total gross $$$ for SITPWG is $10,187,391. If the initial investment was $7 million, then for the 10 week period the maximum running cost is around $3 million, or $300k per week. Does that sound right?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:32pm

I wonder if War Paint has a wider audience outside the two stars. My thinking is that the subject matter and characters are likely well known within the stereotypical Broadway buying audience, and it makes for a perfect 'ladies night out'. Is word of mouth stronger than on this board? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

VintageSnarker
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:26pm

I've seen War Paint in a woman's magazine or two. I'm not sure what the overlap is but if there is a positive message there, they might be able to get a push by getting the support of a big magazine (like a Vogue spread) or some big makeup brand or vlogger. I don't think the Arden and Rubinstein brands have the influence they once did but I can see an endorsement from another female entrepreneur in the makeup world helping out. 

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:35pm

Well it's a show that women and gay men want to see. That's the Broadway demographic for you.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/24/17 at 10:38pm

qolbinau said: "I wonder if War Paint has a wider audience outside the two stars. My thinking is that the subject matter and characters are likely well known within the stereotypical Broadway buying audience, and it makes for a perfect 'ladies night out'. Is word of mouth stronger than on this board? 

"

I was actually surprised it did this well this week with Patti out for three performances.  But then again, the producers offered the opportunity to see it and see it again with Patti (which will eat into the grosses in future weeks if people take them up on that offer).  Interesting though since I hadnt heard or read a lot of people raving about this.  

Hard to remember a more crowded or diverse season

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:29am

qolbinau said: "I wonder if War Paint has a wider audience outside the two stars. My thinking is that the subject matter and characters are likely well known within the stereotypical Broadway buying audience, and it makes for a perfect 'ladies night out'. Is word of mouth stronger than on this board? 

"War Paint Musical Montage just released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VCg0Kv2ypo

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

VintageSnarker
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/25/17 at 12:42am

That montage reminds me of Bombshell.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/25/17 at 5:07am

Butter Broadway said: "Well it's a show that women and gay men want to see. That's the Broadway demographic for you.

"

Broadway musical (comedy) demographic.

I hate it whenever someone use Broadway only to refer to the musicals without giving a single thought to those illuminating straight plays that do have much more formed and nuanced things to say about the world. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#47Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/25/17 at 8:08am

quizking101 said: "I'm still in shock that HAMILTON regularly grossing $3 Million a week is a regular thing now."

It's hard for me to be shocked by this when the house (i.e., non-scalper) ticket price is $849! laugh

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

GreenGables Profile Photo
GreenGables
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/23/17
Posted: 4/25/17 at 9:45am

Wick3 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "I believe someone said the initial investment was 7 million "

Ok cool thanks! Total gross $$$ for SITPWG is $10,187,391. If the initial investment was $7 million, then for the 10 week period the maximum running cost is around $3 million, or $300k per week. Does that sound right?

"

It was capitalized at $3.5mm, not $7mm.  Weekly run around $400k-$450k