pixeltracker

Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight- Page 2

Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/10/17 at 11:28am

It looks like the after show is on Bravotv.com under the WWHL section. Enjoy!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#26Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/10/17 at 2:39pm

Thank you so much.  I just watched it.  Found her bit about Jerry Herman interesting.   She should get out on all the chat shows and promote her show as well as herself.   She is fabulous to watch.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 5/10/17 at 02:39 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#27Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/10/17 at 2:58pm

She's told the Glenn story before, but from what I remember she previously had said they saw each other backstage? I don't recall the part about them sitting next to each other. That's some wonderfully shady event planner.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

a-mad
#28Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/10/17 at 3:47pm

Didn't watch the show, but could someone summarize the Glenn encounter?  I hadn't heard anything about it.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#29Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/10/17 at 3:50pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "She's told the Glenn story before, but from what I remember she previously had said they saw each other backstage? I don't recall the part about them sitting next to each other. That's some wonderfully shady event planner."

You think the Events team at the Kennedy Center cares about who Patti LuPone does and doesn't like?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#30Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/10/17 at 3:54pm

givesmevoice said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "She's told the Glenn story before, but from what I remember she previously had said they saw each other backstage? I don't recall the part about them sitting next to each other. That's some wonderfully shady event planner."

You think the Events team at the Kennedy Center cares about who Patti LuPone does and doesn't like?

"

YES.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

IdinaBellFoster
#31Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/10/17 at 3:58pm

I was making a joke.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#32Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/10/17 at 4:04pm

For those who missed the actual live broadcast, it will be on Bravo's website shortly.  Most likely later or tomorrow.  The After Show is already on their website.

In the meantime, here are portions of the live broadcast:

http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#33Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 4:05pm

I found her gruesome. I hate when people give her passes for her boorish, unprofessional behavior saying, "I love Patti" or "that's just Patti." I'm a fan of Patti's talent, but I find her so tacky. She can't even throw shade in a subtle manner. From her memoir and the Advocate profile you just get the sense she is an angry, resentful person. No wonder Sondheim or Nunn don't return her calls and she is considering retiring after this show.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#34Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 4:11pm

"No wonder Sondheim or Nunn don't return her calls and she is considering retiring after this show."

And where, may I ask, are you getting this scoop from?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#35Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 4:48pm

Bettyboy72 said: "I found her gruesome. I hate when people give her passes for her boorish, unprofessional behavior saying, "I love Patti" or "that's just Patti." I'm a fan of Patti's talent, but I find her so tacky. She can't even throw shade in a subtle manner. From her memoir and the Advocate profile you just get the sense she is an angry, resentful person. No wonder Sondheim or Nunn don't return her calls and she is considering retiring after this show."

Agreed. What a bitter, unpleasant person. Reminds me of the time I was sitting behind her in a theater in Boston and her cell phone rang...and she answered it!

I didn't think it was possible to like her less. I was wrong.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#36Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 4:49pm

Valentina3 said: ""No wonder Sondheim or Nunn don't return her calls and she is considering retiring after this show."

And where, may I ask, are you getting this scoop from?
"

She didn't necessarily say she was retiring, but she told Seth Rudetsky that she thinks War Paint will be her last musical, since she doesn't imagine she'll get any more leading roles and she's not ready to be in the "and Patti LuPone" featured box. She then confirmed this on WWHL.

http://www.playbill.com/article/could-war-paint-be-patti-lupones-last-musical

And that being said, what existing leading roles are out there that she'd do on Broadway at her age? Dolly is an obvious choice, but she also said that the last she heard, Jerry Herman said she was "too ethnic." (????????)

Also I really wish people would stop saying she was throwing shade. Flat-out saying someone was terrible is not throwing shade. That's saying that you think someone in terrible. Bettyboy, you're right in saying she lacks subtlety in that regard.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 5/11/17 at 04:49 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#37Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 4:57pm

I misspoke, it was in the Out magazine profile that she said she called Trevor Nunn in regards to the Night Music revival and he never called her back. In a live Q and A with her I saw, she said Sondheim does not return her calls.

I could totally respect her saying she didn't think Madonna did the score justice or she didn't care for the film but calling Madonna's performance "a piece of sh@#" is just beyond the pale for someone working in the industry. She's also insulting anyone who liked the film, myself included. She also proceeded to kiss Rachel Bloom's ass (someone she's worked for) and diss the NBC musicals and Les Mis. She sounds like sour grapes.

I really don't want to support someone like that.

We all know that's cocktail talk with your intimates. It's not TV talk for someone who wants to keep working.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#38Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:00pm

LuPone is probably the last of the iconic Broadway characters. How honest and candid she is reminds me so much of Ethel (remember when the Merm had a chapter in her book about her marriage and left the page blank?). There are many wonderful performers, but no PERSONALITIES like there used to be. Good for her to remind the world how awful the Evita movie was - and why most movie musicals today are not of good quality. And re: Sunset, she knows she can sing AND act the role better then Glen in her sleep. She's my forever diva and one of the greatest studyers of her craft.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#39Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:18pm

Well, in regards to Rachel Bloom being better than the NBC musicals, she certainly is not wrong. They consistently are mediocre at best, whereas Crazy Ex-Girlfriend nails multiple musical numbers every single week. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

IdinaBellFoster
#40Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:19pm

Sally Durant Plummer said: "LuPone is probably the last of the iconic Broadway characters. How honest and candid she is reminds me so much of Ethel (remember when the Merm had a chapter in her book about her marriage and left the page blank?). There are many wonderful performers, but no PERSONALITIES like there used to be. Good for her to remind the world how awful the Evita movie was - and why most movie musicals today are not of good quality. And re: Sunset, she knows she can sing AND act the role better then Glen in her sleep. She's my forever diva and one of the greatest studyers of her craft."

Exactly. And it's not as if Patti just started sharing her unfiltered thoughts, she has always spoken candidly.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#41Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:23pm

For me, Patti is taking over where Elaine Stritch left over. She's more lucid than Elaine, but her unfiltered remarks are very like Stritch-like, and I love EVERY moment of it.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#42Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:31pm

I'll gladly take a candid personality like LuPone over a highly filtered, sanitized, every comment you make is run through a press agent, performer like Ben Platt (based on that recent NY Times profile) or Bernadette Peters, who's always so "I love everyone on Broadway! Broadway is amazing!" and whose concert banter is so dull and scripted.

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#43Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:35pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "As a huge Madonna fan, Patti didn't say anything that most people didn't already think. Patti is one of those people who despite her brashness and comments that seem to reveal some entitlement issues, I cannot help but applaud and encourage her to keep doing what she's doing. Other people would not inspire the same sort of admiration that she does for exhibiting the same sort of behavior. I can't explain it, it just makes sense for Patti.

"

As the biggest madonna fan I agree 100%. Madonna is my goddess but I live for Patti's hate speech! 

#living #thensomeone'smotherthenyou'recamp

binau Profile Photo
binau
#44Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:52pm

adamgreer said: "I'll gladly take a candid personality like LuPone over a highly filtered, sanitized, every comment you make is run through a press agent, performer like Ben Platt (based on that recent NY Times profile) or Bernadette Peters, who's always so "I love everyone on Broadway! Broadway is amazing!" and whose concert banter is so dull and scripted.

"

I have to agree that Bernadette always does come across as a little bit...fake. She is one of Broadway's biggest stars and yet it's like we don't know anything about her.

At the same time, while I personally love that Patti does just not give a damn anymore and says what she pleases - I can see how this would rub many people the wrong way. If you look at the facebook playbill page comments, for example, most of the top voted comments are criticising her for her behaviour. When she is starring in a musical does she have some responsibility to be giving good PR for herself/the show?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#45Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 6:19pm

I don't find her anything like Stritch. You can be a broad without being a nasty bitch. Stritch also tended to tell tales after folks were dead. I'm glad Patti still has her minions, but I'll be perfectly fine if she retires.

I may be in the minority, but Patti did not touch the level of acting that Close has with Norma. Buckley was the best with the score. I do appreciate Patti's power and control of her voice, but the diction is atrocious. I know some people dig that too. I don't.

Mary Louise Wilson is closer to Stritch. She is a dame with personality for days, can spin a yarn, throw some shade and spill the tea but maintains her class.

Updated On: 5/11/17 at 06:19 PM

JBC3
#46Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 6:24pm

I find that with some bold or brassy people being true to their character over a very long time creates a bit of a caricature at some point. That is how I felt watching Lupone here. She was Patti Lupone playing the part of "I tell it like it is Patti Lupone."

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#47Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 6:30pm

She came off like a sour bitter bitch. Very mean-spirited. She may have talent, but she sure doesn't have any class.

Updated On: 5/12/17 at 06:30 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#48Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 6:46pm

JBC3 said: "I find that with some bold or brassy people being true to their character over a very long time creates a bit of a caricature at some point. That is how I felt watching Lupone here. She was Patti Lupone playing the part of "I tell it like it is Patti Lupone.""

You also have to realize what talk show it is and what network it's on. Andy Cohen's show is about trying to get celebrities to spill juicy tea and say outrageous things. She took the reserved laid-back approach several years ago on the show, and honestly it was a rather bland  appearance. This time, she played into Andy's antics and what people want from the show, and she had everyone buzzing, and created a ton of press. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#49Patti LuPone will be on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen tonight
Posted: 5/11/17 at 6:46pm

double

Updated On: 5/11/17 at 06:46 PM