pixeltracker

Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!- Page 2

Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#25Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/26/17 at 1:06pm

Patti is definitely confused as this particular production came about because of Bette.   I hope what will happen is this... Bette will continue to have a great time doing it and will extend. but with a possible break during the winter months .   Then the show will close when she does leave and a tour will be mounted with someone else.  Even though I wish she would tour with it and take her Dolly to the world.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 5/26/17 at 01:06 PM

10086sunset
#26Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!

There's no comparison between Reba and Patii LaBelle. 

nasty_khakis
#27Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!

Patti will actually be replacing Betsy Wolf in "Waitress" and selling her pies after the show.

10086sunset
#28Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/26/17 at 1:10pm

nasty_khakis said: "Patti will actually be replacing Betsy Wolf in "Waitress" and selling her pies after the show."

I just spit out my drink. Hilarious. 

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#29Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/26/17 at 1:30pm

Rudin would pay Lupone 3x whatever Labelle is currently asking for before settling for Labelle.

The only way i see Rudin recasting the entire production alla when Pearl  Bailey, would be if he could get someone the caliber or Queen Latifah, Mary J Blige, Octavia Spencer, or Viola Davis, where their current income comes mostly from their Artistic works and not Pies. In other words, so it is seen as an Honor and not a marketing gimmic.

I am just hoping that down the line, Lupone will eat some humble pie, and will be willing to ve a replacement.

broadwayboy223
#30Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/26/17 at 1:40pm

Patti said on WWHL that she doesn't think she'd get to play Dolly because Herman thinks she's "too ethnic" 

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#31Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/26/17 at 1:43pm

"Rudin would pay Lupone 3x whatever Labelle is currently asking for before settling for Labelle."

Not true at all. And putting Labelle in the show is not settling.   Actually I also have heard Bette would extend if she doesn't have to play New York in the winter months.  

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#32Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/26/17 at 2:10pm

bdn223 said: "Rudin would pay Lupone 3x whatever Labelle is currently asking for before settling for Labelle.

The only way i see Rudin recasting the entire production alla when Pearl  Bailey, would be if he could get someone the caliber or Queen Latifah, Mary J Blige, Octavia Spencer, or Viola Davis, where their current income comes mostly from their Artistic works and not Pies. In other words, so it is seen as an Honor and not a marketing gimmic.

I am just hoping that down the line, Lupone will eat some humble pie, and will be willing to ve a replacement.
"

Patti LaBelle's money does not come just from pies. With the stellar musical career she has had, along with other ventures, I think she is doing ok. And I would see Patti before any of those you listed. With that said, I would not run to see any of these ladies in this particular show. JMO

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 5/28/17 at 02:10 PM

green waver
#33Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 9:41am

Just a random observation, but Lady Gaga is 31 years old- four years older than Streisand made the movie. Hey Mr. Producer-how about going young again? Want to get millennial into the seats?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#34Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 9:49am

I don't think Gaga is right for this for at all. She is far too young for current Horace, and at least so far, her persona lacks a certain warmth needed by any actor in Hello, Dolly! 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

green waver
#35Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 10:18am

Well, I was being tongue in cheek, but to take my thought seriously for a moment-first, as i'm sure you know, Herman and Stewart wrote it with Ethel Merman in mind. She was never on my list of performers who exude warmth. Second, if you gave her a chance, Gaga might surprise you. She certainly has the pipes for it.

nasty_khakis
#36Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 10:42am

Lupone is willing to replace. She replaced in Master Class and actively campaigned to replace CZJ in A Little Night Music but Trevor Nunn felt she was all wrong for the role. 

I think she'd replace in this, but would probably demand the same deal Bette is getting (money, cars, perks) and shoot herself in the foot. But the point is moot since Herman said she was too ethnic, whatever that means.

Also, why would they need to replace the entire company? I think in 2017 we can color blind cast a Dolly. Yes, a white Horace would never marry a black Dolly in 1900 New York, but the play is not about race (except rejoining the human race) and it's just fun musical comedy.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#37Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 11:51am

In spite of green waver's clarification that the Gaga idea was a joke, I am nonetheless responding to it seriously as others have: if you think she's coming for a Broadway salary, or anything less than a package comparable to Midler's (and if anything, the producers will be looking to downsize on the VIP treatment so even more profit goes into their pocket), you're out of your mind.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#38Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 12:01pm

"Also, why would they need to replace the entire company? I think in 2017 we can color blind cast a Dolly. Yes, a white Horace would never marry a black Dolly in 1900 New York, but the play is not about race (except rejoining the human race) and it's just fun musical comedy."

Yeah, that's a bizarre notion. While it would be nice to see some actors of color in the principal roles, a black Dolly doesn't mean the whole company also needs to be black. 

The production is certainly built to Midler's strengths, but they could absolutely find someone to do it just as well. They should, too- Bette is fabulous, no doubt, but the rest of the company is excellent and the entire production is a joy. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#39Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 12:45pm

I think with all of these rumors of possible replacements that we can be pretty sure the show will continue on without Midler, possibly for several years.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#40Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 6:20pm

nasty_khakis said: "Lupone is willing to replace. She replaced in Master Class and actively campaigned to replace CZJ in A Little Night Music but Trevor Nunn felt she was all wrong for the role. 

I think she'd replace in this, but would probably demand the same deal Bette is getting (money, cars, perks) and shoot herself in the foot. But the point is moot since Herman said she was too ethnic, whatever that means.

Also, why would they need to replace the entire company? I think in 2017 we can color blind cast a Dolly. Yes, a white Horace would never marry a black Dolly in 1900 New York, but the play is not about race (except rejoining the human race) and it's just fun musical comedy.

"

I know this is minor but I'm not sure if Patti wanted to replace CZJ - I had the impression she wanted to originate the role in the revival. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#41Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 6:52pm

qolbinau said: "nasty_khakis said: "Lupone is willing to replace. She replaced in Master Class and actively campaigned to replace CZJ in A Little Night Music but Trevor Nunn felt she was all wrong for the role. 

"

I know this is minor but I'm not sure if Patti wanted to replace CZJ - I had the impression she wanted to originate the role in the revival. 

"

I believe she said she called Nunn while they were casting the original revival leads, and he never returned her calls. 

Im not sure when Patti as Dolly went wrong with Herman. He publicly said he was interested in her playing the role, then a Nederlander revival starring Patti directed by Jack O'Brien was in the works, but Herman stopped it because they didn't want to replicate the original production. Now apparently she's too ethnic, how does that even make sense? 

It would be fun to see her as a replacement and she still seems interested in the role.

Musicaldudepeter
#42Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 6:58pm

If Patti is too "ethnic," what does that make Bette? And Streisand? I'm confused as to that Herman comment. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#43Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 7:13pm

When I hear Patti is too ethnic I just think of this:

Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated
Updated On: 5/27/17 at 07:13 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#44Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 7:33pm

Musicaldudepeter said: "If Patti is too "ethnic," what does that make Bette? And Streisand? I'm confused as to that Herman comment. 

"

Exactly. What a puzzling comment. 

broadwayboy223
#45Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 5/27/17 at 10:27pm

I'd love to see Patti (LuPone) do Dolly honestly. I wish there wasn't this weird thing about her doing it if the Herman comment is true 

Hamilfan2
#46Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 6/24/17 at 3:49pm

What about Meryl Streep as a replacement?  She definitely has the star power

Dollypop
#47Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 6/24/17 at 9:58pm

Loretta Swit ?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#48Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 6/24/17 at 11:22pm

Well, I do think they sort of shot themselves in the foot with their Tony performance. They didn't really sell the show at all, but instead made it out about who is in the show. So, I don't see it touring the country, etc. without a name in it. 

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#49Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!
Posted: 6/24/17 at 11:31pm

I think that it's time for Sandy Duncan's return to Broadway.  Unless Mr. Rudin has a problem with an actress that only has one eye...