What, No Bette?

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#25What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 10:00pm

Perhaps the real reason is not wanting to have Bette on national TV showing how thin her voice is...  Not that it matters as it's pretty much sold out.  But why risk bad pr?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#26What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 10:03pm

It's worse PR this way. The first sour note this production has hit.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#27What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 10:11pm

PalJoey said: " 

"

Well, that and the lack of interviews..

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#28What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 10:16pm

PalJoey said: " 

"

I'm surprised they would risk the possibility of losing votes for Bette and Revival over this...

The smugness is bound to turn some voters off. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#29What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 10:22pm

I asked in another thread but it got deleted. Why is there such a strict no media, no interviews, as few photos as possible nondisclosure on this production?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#30What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 10:31pm

darquegk said: "I asked in another thread but it got deleted. Why is there such a strict no media, no interviews, as few photos as possible nondisclosure on this production?

"

"If you want to see Bette do this you gotta empty your savings account?" Just a guess.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#31What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 10:40pm

chernjam said: "Perhaps the real reason is not wanting to have Bette on national TV showing how thin her voice is...  Not that it matters as it's pretty much sold out.  But why risk bad pr?

"

To be honest, I can't help but feel this. Wanting to carefully control the circumstances in which she performs to prevent a disaster like CZJ's Tony Performance.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#32What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 10:42pm

Scott Rudin is the producer of HELLO, DOLLY!  and countless of Broadway smash hits.  He's a stickler in leaving things unseen so he doesn't use obvious means to promote his projects hence why photos are limited, and no Press Reel footage is ever released.   That's why the TV commercials of his shows contain no footage and performances on talk shows are never done.  For the recent revival of THE FRONT PAGE, he didn't allow the press to see the show during previews so for the first time in decades, the press had to attend Opening Night to review the show (just like the old days).  Cast members are also forbidden to show anything on their social media platforms.  

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#33What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 10:51pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Scott Rudin is the producer of HELLO, DOLLY!  and countless of Broadway smash hits.  He's a stickler in leaving things unseen so he doesn't use obvious means to promote his projects hence why photos are limited, and no Press Reel footage is ever released.   That's why the TV commercials of his shows contain no footage and performances on talk shows are never done.  For the recent revival of THE FRONT PAGE, he didn't allow the press to see the show during previews so for the first time in decades, the press had to attend Opening Night to review the show (just like the old days).  Cast members are also forbidden to show anything on their social media platforms.  

"

I understand that but this also happened and that was a Rudin production too.

2012 Tony Awards 

Updated On: 5/29/17 at 10:51 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#34What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 11:18pm

I seriously wish she doesn't perform just so I can sit here with a glass of red wine and a bowl of truffled popcorn and enjoy myself reading the epic meltdown by all of you queens here on BWW. 

Updated On: 5/29/17 at 11:18 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#35What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 11:18pm

"I'm surprised they would risk the possibility of losing votes for Bette and Revival over this...

The smugness is bound to turn some voters off. "

Everybody assumes she and the show are a lock so maybe they don't care. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#36What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 11:21pm

At the end of the day she and the production do not owe anyone a performance on the Tony awards. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#37What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 11:25pm

"At the end of the day she and the production do not owe anyone a performance on the Tony awards. "

Maybe but this is the big night for Broadway to promote themselves to the entire country and it would be disappointing if they did not perform.

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#38What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 11:45pm

CarlosAlberto said: "At the end of the day she and the production do not owe anyone a performance on the Tony awards. "

Very true. And at the end of the day Rudin isn't owed any Tony awards either. If he prefers to stay home on June 11 and count his box office receipts that is completely his prerogative. On the other hand some people who don't need the money or publicity (Hamilton comes to mind) go out of their way to give back to theater fans who they know won't be able to get in to their show. Just different attitudes, I guess.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#39What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 11:48pm

CarlosAlberto said: "I seriously wish she doesn't perform just so I can sit here with a glass of red wine and a bowl of truffled popcorn and enjoy myself reading the epic meltdown by all of you queens here on BWW. 

"

And she is back!  Hi CA.   

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#40What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 11:52pm

Certainly, Bette's performance isn't owed to anybody, but if she doesn't come through, I'll be sad simply for the sake of American musical theatre history. We're often able to look back at historic performances/productions from generations ago because of Tony Award telecast recordings on YouTube. I'll be disappointed if this wonderful, landmark production doesn't have its own entry in that part of history.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#41What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/29/17 at 11:55pm

If David Stone were smart, he'd put out a press release tomorrow announcing a big performance by both of his show's nominated stars on the telecast. 

HBBrock
#42What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 12:00am

Poisonivy......

That was the NEXT year after Book of Mormon opened.

In 2011, Andrew Rannells sang I Believe...to hide most of the show.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#43What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 12:18am

I am not going to lie .  I am one of the queens having a meltdown over this.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#44What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 12:54am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Well, if indeed she doesn't perform, her performance in HELLO, DOLLY! has already been excellently archived (not officially) so full performance footage now survives of Bette as Dolly.

"

Wait what? You're saying someone already bootlegged the whole show? That's disgusting.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#45What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 1:05am

Valentina3 said: "Wait what? You're saying someone already bootlegged the whole show? That's disgusting."

Typically happens in early previews by friend.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#46What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 3:31am

The only way I got to see it and I certainly hope Ms Midler DOESN'T do Dolly.

All well and good wrapped around the show in 'her' theatre but out of there bodes no good.

Present an award, be amusing but that's enough.

rjm516
#47What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 5:57am

Of course she doesn't *have* to perform and the show doesn't even have to perform, but it's just so unsportsmanlike. And in such a supportive, warm community as Broadway is, it's just not right. I thought I couldn't get madder at Scott Rudin for prohibiting water bottles from his shows but this is cold and dumb.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#48What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 6:33am

They should do Sunday Clothes and be done with it.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#49What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 7:10am

Rudin is an infamously difficult and egotistical personality but not one that there seems to be much resentment toward within the community. At the end of the day, he produces quality work and gets results. I don't think this will really affect anything, awards-wise. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 5/30/17 at 07:10 AM